why don't Sikh females have to cover their heads?

Guest indi

Guest indi

Hi

iv been wondering for a while now that why is it that Sikh guys cover their heads (the ones that keep their hair) while Sikh women don't?  i keep my hair and wear patka when i go out, i use to be mona but got sick and tired of being mistaken for a Pakistani that it reached the point where i started getting offended, so i decided to not cut my hair and started wearing patka. since i been wearing patka etc i been wondering why is it that only sikh guys cover their head? why is it that sikh females don't? theres many non amritdhari sikhs guys out there who keep their hair and wear a pagh or patka but the same can't be said about the females. If i walk around the town center with my joorah without wearing patka i know that i would get "angry" and "disappointed" looks from other Singh's. I actually am really happy that iv kept my hair, no one in my family is a singh so i don't know how to tie pagh but im learning, its the best decision iv ever made, im happy, and since then iv never been mistaken for a pakistani . i know i don't keep my dhari yet but i really want to start keeping it soon! i just find all this confusing. The other day i told my mum and sister perhaps they can dress more modestly and maybe cover their heads, when i said this they nearly bit my head off! they said that they are not muslim women so why should they cover?  when i look at old black and white photos of my nani and other relatives all the females are very modestly dress and have their heads covered with chunni and they weren't even amritdhari.    I thought sikhs were supposed to cover their heads at all times to honor our guru and waheguru?     

So why is it that sikh guys cover their heads but sikh females do not? simple question, but hard to find an answer ...

or is it compulsory for guys but not for females?   i just find it weird how men are supposed to cover their heads but not the women! i mean even at the gurdwara most females don't cover their heads but cover their bun or ponytail instead. 

Im not even gonna lie when out and about when i see muslim women i look at them and think to myself that this is what i want my wife to look like! she's modest and also covers her head like me!    im just being honest.  

im probably going to be called "judgmental" and "let people live how they want" etc    i really think this attitude stops any critical discussion from taking place.

just some thoughts, sorry if i offended anyone 

2 hours ago, Guest indi said:

i use to be mona but got sick and tired of being mistaken for a Pakistani that it reached the point where i started getting offended, so i decided to not cut my hair and started wearing patka.

Been there :)

Guest Jacfsing2
2 hours ago, Guest indi said:

Hi

iv been wondering for a while now that why is it that Sikh guys cover their heads (the ones that keep their hair) while Sikh women don't?  i keep my hair and wear patka when i go out, i use to be mona but got sick and tired of being mistaken for a Pakistani that it reached the point where i started getting offended, so i decided to not cut my hair and started wearing patka. since i been wearing patka etc i been wondering why is it that only sikh guys cover their head? why is it that sikh females don't? theres many non amritdhari sikhs guys out there who keep their hair and wear a pagh or patka but the same can't be said about the females. If i walk around the town center with my joorah without wearing patka i know that i would get "angry" and "disappointed" looks from other Singh's. I actually am really happy that iv kept my hair, no one in my family is a singh so i don't know how to tie pagh but im learning, its the best decision iv ever made, im happy, and since then iv never been mistaken for a pakistani . i know i don't keep my dhari yet but i really want to start keeping it soon! i just find all this confusing. The other day i told my mum and sister perhaps they can dress more modestly and maybe cover their heads, when i said this they nearly bit my head off! they said that they are not muslim women so why should they cover?  when i look at old black and white photos of my nani and other relatives all the females are very modestly dress and have their heads covered with chunni and they weren't even amritdhari.    I thought sikhs were supposed to cover their heads at all times to honor our guru and waheguru?     

So why is it that sikh guys cover their heads but sikh females do not? simple question, but hard to find an answer ...

or is it compulsory for guys but not for females?   i just find it weird how men are supposed to cover their heads but not the women! i mean even at the gurdwara most females don't cover their heads but cover their bun or ponytail instead. 

Im not even gonna lie when out and about when i see muslim women i look at them and think to myself that this is what i want my wife to look like! she's modest and also covers her head like me!    im just being honest.  

im probably going to be called "judgmental" and "let people live how they want" etc    i really think this attitude stops any critical discussion from taking place.

just some thoughts, sorry if i offended anyone 

The reason culturally, (not spiritually), is because when the Singh Sabha Movement made the SGPC, (greatest waste of time ever), they were worried about Sikh women not taking Amrit and they also due to Diaspora at the time also wasting everyone's with the idea that they didn't want to be confused with Muslims and many of these Diaspora Singhs also didn't want to look like anti-female rights activists, that is why cultutally this has been the reason. Because of Singh Sabha Movement our Panth has been going this way and before Singh Sabha everyone kept their Kesh covered. (Nihangs who are completely free from Singh Sabha influence do require women to keep their Kesh covered). 

"So why is it that sikh guys cover their heads but sikh females do not? simple question, but hard to find an answer ..."

It's not a simple question, but rather a wrong question, which will only give wrong answers. Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji was straight-up with his Hukam: 35. "Dastaar binaa nahee rehnaa - Never be without the turban, wear it always", it's not a gender-specific Hukam and is to be respected and honored.

"Im not even gonna lie when out and about when i see muslim women i look at them and think to myself that this is what i want my wife to look like! she's modest and also covers her head like me!    im just being honest. "

If keeping Kesh covered is the most important quality in your life for a spouse, it's better to go find an AKJ Kaur or a 3HO Kaur, over a Muslim, because at least one is Sikh and the other is some other religion.

8 hours ago, Guest indi said:

when i look at old black and white photos of my nani and other relatives all the females are very modestly dress and have their heads covered with chunni and they weren't even amritdhari.    I thought sikhs were supposed to cover their heads at all times to honor our guru and waheguru?     

I think it is all about culture. In the olden days, the families were all more compacted. Therefore traditions were handed down more easily. The mother passed down the basics of having a chuni with you at all times. The clothes that girls were supplied with were punjabi suits with chunis. The chance that they would choose to cover their head with a chuni were greater. During my grandmothers time, the ladies covered their faces as well in the presence of male members of the family. When I went to visit my mum, I was wearing my PJs and came downstairs. My grandmother thought I was a male and started to pull her chuni over her face. 

These days - the girls are permitted to have much more freedom by their mothers, who also do not consider covering their heads a necessity as the chunis made these days are much more slippery and do not stay on the head. As the families have now become smaller so the ladies do not see the necessity of keeping their head covered as they are alone most of the time or at work. The chuni keeps on getting on the way of some jobs and can be irritating. The recent availability of jeans and t-shirts much more conveniently especially in the western world have further led to females opting for western wear even at the Guradwara. Western dresses are cheaper to buy compared to Eastern therefore at some wedding receptions - ladies are choosing to wear a western dress with no chuni - so there we go - slowly by slowly the chuni starts to be discarded in the name of fashion. So somewhere in the handing down of the traditions we decided to go more western and did not consider it a necessity to keep our hair covered. A female can do with a jura or goot and does not require to keep her hair covered. 

A male will look odd - going around with a joori uncovered. If a female had an uncovered joori it would look like a fashion. Even goris these days do some sort of high joora. I did see some guy walking on the road with just a joori and no patra - I remember starring at him like - Oh my God - whats wrong with you? I even turned to look at the back of his head - because I could not believe a person could walk around like that. 

No need to be too worried or think about it too much - mainly because - females have decided to not wear the chuni at all times. Girls who are being brought up to cover their heads with their dastar will be more likely to keep their head covered. 

The scarves which muslim women wear are made of a material which is less slippery as well. I bought one and it just does not fall from the head. Hence it makes the head covering and keeping the head covered process less disruptive to normal life. 

Guest indi
On 5/16/2017 at 7:29 PM, Jacfsing2 said:

The reason culturally, (not spiritually), is because when the Singh Sabha Movement made the SGPC, (greatest waste of time ever), they were worried about Sikh women not taking Amrit and they also due to Diaspora at the time also wasting everyone's with the idea that they didn't want to be confused with Muslims and many of these Diaspora Singhs also didn't want to look like anti-female rights activists, that is why cultutally this has been the reason. Because of Singh Sabha Movement our Panth has been going this way and before Singh Sabha everyone kept their Kesh covered. (Nihangs who are completely free from Singh Sabha influence do require women to keep their Kesh covered). 

"So why is it that sikh guys cover their heads but sikh females do not? simple question, but hard to find an answer ..."

It's not a simple question, but rather a wrong question, which will only give wrong answers. Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji was straight-up with his Hukam: 35. "Dastaar binaa nahee rehnaa - Never be without the turban, wear it always", it's not a gender-specific Hukam and is to be respected and honored.

"Im not even gonna lie when out and about when i see muslim women i look at them and think to myself that this is what i want my wife to look like! she's modest and also covers her head like me!    im just being honest. "

If keeping Kesh covered is the most important quality in your life for a spouse, it's better to go find an AKJ Kaur or a 3HO Kaur, over a Muslim, because at least one is Sikh and the other is some other religion.

thanks for explaining, so the SGPC contributed to this

the last thing i wrote, i don't mean that i want to marry a suli, what i meant is physically i would want my spouse to me modest like them.  

Guest prince22gs@gmail.com

No buddy no. Females are also advised to jeep their head covered with chunni/dupatta. But along with fashion they have started losing their values. Same applies to boys too but that they roam entire home without any patka or parrna ( me too :/ )

But i have stopped wearing patka now and wear dumalla because i always felt something is missing, i am still incomplete.

Moreover i know many sikh girls who still cover their heads ( those who kept values). 

Btw i live in Delhi.

बाहर से मत देखो कौन कैसा हैं, the inner spirituality matters most. Slowly slowly outer will also follow up once Bani goes inside. :)

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi

Forget patka or parna, nowadays sikh boys have new casual wear , a bandana or something like that nylon hat . Weird part is they do jooda backwards like a bibi lol