Is it ok to listen to Nitnem?

Guest Jacfsing2

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2017 at 4:50 AM, Guest Jacfsing2 said:

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh! I wanted to know if it's ever ok to just listen to Nitnem without physically doing it due to some reason? Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

It's OK to listen to Nitnem because otherwise if you were doing Nitnem in the Gurdwara and the Giani is reading off Nitnem, the rest of the Sangat is listening to the paath. No one would say the Sangat is failing in its duty to do Nitnem.

Of course, you should pay attention to the paath.

Also, you should read paath so you learn it before you start to just listen to it.

On 5/23/2017 at 2:50 PM, Guest Jacfsing2 said:

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh! I wanted to know if it's ever ok to just listen to Nitnem without physically doing it due to some reason? Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Listening to or doing Nitnem is pointless if you don't actually Apply the gyan that it teaches you. 

Start practicing the Truth you learn in Nitnem in your everyday life. Apply it and LIVE it, don't just read it l. 

i have a question.

before printing press and technology, as well as widespread literacy, became available in Panjab, how do you think Sikhs did nitnem?

I'm guess the some memorised it, and the others sat and listened in 'asan' with their eyes closed.

also don't forgot alot of nitnem has raags prescribed to it.  those Shabads would have been sung, rather than read?

You know how you have that inner voice? The one we all use when thinking about things? That’s the voice we should use when doing paath or nitnem. It doesn’t matter if your tongue moves or not but it matters whether you listen. If you can listen to the bani and the recorded voice is focussed within as much as your own inner voice, then it’s fine to listen. If instead you’re watching youtube or on instagram or whatever whilst bani is being recited and you’re not listening then you may as well not bother. 

I remember being once told that Guru Ji is inside of us and that when we do nitnem, we should be reciting as though we are reciting it to Guru Ji inside us. With perfect pronunciation and complete focus. Only then does it “count”. 

It only counts if you actually apply it.

otherwise you might aswell be reading a recipe for mushroom soup over and over without making it. 

They are Teachings, from the Teacher (Guru). There to be applied in Practice. 

On 8/23/2019 at 3:18 PM, Guest Sat said:

Listening to or doing Nitnem is pointless if you don't actually Apply the gyan that it teaches you. 

Start practicing the Truth you learn in Nitnem in your everyday life. Apply it and LIVE it, don't just read it l. 

Reading and listening is the starting point, so it plays a massive part in ones life.  Repeating this daily will at some point start to sink in and understanding will naturally come with this.  I once heard Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale say that even if you do not understand the Mool Mantar, keep listening and recite it and at some point you will start understanding more clearly.  

On 8/30/2019 at 7:57 PM, TigerForce1 said:

Reading and listening is the starting point, so it plays a massive part in ones life.  Repeating this daily will at some point start to sink in and understanding will naturally come with this.  I once heard Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale say that even if you do not understand the Mool Mantar, keep listening and recite it and at some point you will start understanding more clearly.  

Lip service is pointless. I used to do that and I literally just wasted hours. 

Only when I sat, focused on the Gyan being taught and physically went out there and applied it to my life did I start seeing results on the path. We only have this life, it is temporary, we may as well make the most of it.