Belinda Carlisle: A Music Legend and Her Newest Album “Wilder Shores”

Premi5

23 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

so this is how Gurbani' s power is used and abused by white 3HOers to big up their names , it is great that Gurbani actually helped Belinda but like most white people she fell for the 'Baba in white' image of the spiritual vampires of the 1960-70s because their lives are bereft of naam and dharam.

Now these people who were named are facing a crisis created by their Baba ji's sexual sadism , but instead of saying well he made up the whole thing and was a predator , they are scrambling to distance 'kundalini' yoga from yogi Harbhajan and cary on monetising gurbani pangtis for themselves

Belinda Carlisle is one of those American West Coast/ California kooky hippy types.

They all turn "spiritual " and are very "open minded" especially when it comes to making a quick buck.

I believe she has now moved to Thailand after complaining about how toxic living in California is.

17 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

technically he's kind of right since very little is original now most pop music is samples taken from all genres from all ages . it's the disneyfication of music why think up something new when you can recycle ? It's green innit

I hear what you're saying, about musicians using old samples when they do it in a generic way. 

But having grown up around the music and tech that developed the new forms from the 80s, I have to say certain creative aspects of sampling are good. Yes, you can recycle culture in this way, and that's not bad all the time. The way Hip Hop musicians brought back impressive beats from the James Brown era, or sample long forgotten classics was good (for example). This brought a culture from one generation to the next, and led to many people actually exploring the original sources of the samples.

I find nothing more montone, generic and boring than the way our own people have been using certain formulaic dhol, tumbi beats with very little change for decades. PMCs experiments with fusion with hip hop beats (which themselves were using samples of classic funk tunes) was an interesting and creative phase, but even that turned generic and formulaic in the end. 

I can still put on some old Electro tunes that are 30/35 years old (when I train) and feel the energy in them. You can't say that about much. 

Music (particularly our kirtan) does attract a lot of western musician types to Sikhi.

If anyone knows the 60's group called "The Animals", there was a guy who became Sikh called Vikram Singh if I recall. He used to do kirtan all over the UK.

Then there was Lonnie Singh a jazz musician who became Sikh also.

I always felt that Sikhi would get a lot of African Americans converts through Kirtan because they do gospel, however the black churches do a lot of standing and clapping and I am not sure how well that would go with gurdwarae.

6 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Music (particularly our kirtan) does attract a lot of western musician types to Sikhi.

If anyone knows the 60's group called "The Animals", there was a guy who became Sikh called Vikram Singh if I recall. He used to do kirtan all over the UK.

I always felt that Sikhi would get a lot of African Americans converts through Kirtan because they do gospel, however the black churches do a lot of standing and clapping and I am not sure how well that would go with gurdwarae.

They could become Nihang. 

I think it would be awesome get a bunch of black Sikhs clapping and stomping the tabla beat, or sounding it with the shafts of spears, then singing the Raag and Gurbani over it. 

No insturments even needed. 

10 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

They could become Nihang. 

I think it would be awesome get a bunch of black Sikhs clapping and stomping the tabla beat, or sounding it with the shafts of spears, then singing the Raag and Gurbani over it. 

No insturments even needed. 

As long as they don't do anything like this..........

Pure Bhangra GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

7 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

That Vikram is the nasty egotistical guy who tries to put down Singh who wrote the expose of Yogi Harbhajan and his mangling of sikhi

12 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

It's a good movie for 1960 whatever. A lot of good Zulu cultural footage like marriage ceremonies and things. They used actual Zulus. 

Bro I don't doubt that a lot of colonial era writings can help shed light on historical things they recorded, but overall this (to me) just seems like plain old fashioned colonial propaganda with tired narrative of white bravery against all odds against 'noble savages'.