Belinda Carlisle: A Music Legend and Her Newest Album “Wilder Shores”

Premi5

11 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Bro I don't doubt that a lot of colonial era writings can help shed light on historical things they recorded, but overall this (to me) just seems like plain old fashioned colonial propaganda with tired narrative of white bravery against all odds against 'noble savages'. 

It's a slightly less <banned word filter activated> movie from a <banned word filter activated> time for movies.  It's still worth the 90 minutes just for the zulu shots. 

3 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

It's a slightly less <banned word filter activated> movie from a <banned word filter activated> time for movies.  It's still worth the 90 minutes just for the zulu shots. 

I hear that. I grew up with all those movies/TV programs. This one is probably less offensive than a lot of them. 

Look at how Sikhs are portrayed here. Docile butlers. 

On 9/8/2021 at 1:51 AM, jkvlondon said:

That Vikram is the nasty egotistical guy who tries to put down Singh who wrote the expose of Yogi Harbhajan and his mangling of sikhi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Briggs

Following initial influences through attending a seminar by Baba Ram Das (the former Richard Alpert),[21] in January 1970 Briggs attended a Los Angeles yoga class instructed by Yogi Bhajan. Followers of Yogi Bhajan included singer Johnny Rivers. Briggs was profoundly influenced by the experience, and followed Yogi Bhajan for twenty years thereafter.[1] In retrospect, Briggs regarded his time with Yogi Bhajan as having been cult-like in nature.[28]

Briggs commenced studying Kundalini yoga and Nāda yoga, as well as Sikh sacred music.[18] At the request of Yogi Bhajan, Briggs returned to England in December 1970, to open a yoga studio and to teach Kundalini yoga[29] This was the first studio of Kundalini yoga in England.[18]

During this period, Briggs developed further interest in Sikh religious music, and in the Sikh religion, spending much time with members of the Sikh community in London.[29] Briggs was particularly attracted to the use of the harmonium in Sikh religious music, and commenced learning how to play it.[1][30] Members of the Sikh community in London began to refer to Briggs as Vikram Singh, and were impressed with Briggs' ability to sing and play Sikh sacred music. In 1971, Briggs was formally baptized as a Sikh[29][31] and chose the name Vikram,[31] to which was added Singh Khalsa.[1] Briggs was thereafter invited to perform at various Sikh temples throughout England.[29] Also during this period, Briggs met and later married actress Kirsten Lindholm, who also converted to Sikhism.

At the request of Yogi Bhajan, Briggs returned to southern California from England, in the early 1970s. Briggs attended the Ali Akbar College of Music in Marin County. In 1977, Yogi Bhajan appointed Briggs and his wife as co-directors of the Guru Ram Das Ashram, in San Diego.[29] They continued in that capacity until 1990,[18] when they left Yogi Bhajan. The involvement in the Sikh community of Briggs and his wife continued to grow; Briggs became one of the founding members of the Sikh temple in San Diego.[29] Briggs and his wife left Yogi Bhajan based on a dispute over whether the equity in the temple should belong to the local membership or to the central leadership.[31] During this period, Briggs also had a plumbing business in San Diego.[10]

In 1979, Briggs performed Sikh religious music throughout northern India[29] and was the first non-Indian to perform kirtan at Harimandir Sahib (also called the Golden Temple of Amritsar), which was a very powerful religious moment for him.[1] Briggs subsequently recorded several albums of Indian music. with a particular focus on the Gurbani kirtan, being representations of hymns from Sikh scriptures generally set to ragas.[1]

Briggs kept a degree of distance from Sikh social settings: "Sikhi spoke to my soul. Gurbani still speaks to my soul. I just prefer not to be involved much with Sikhs, Indian or American, because of the political considerations that are always present."[31]

The name Antion, which Briggs adopted as a stage name, came to Briggs following his observation of a solar eclipse above the ocean, from a beach at Del Mar, in 1992.[1]

In 1993,[18] Briggs and his family relocated to the Hawaiian island of Kauai.[32][33] While in Hawaii, Briggs had a radio show for a period of time.[1][34] During an earlier stopover in Hawaii, Briggs heard and developed an interest in the music of the Brothers Cazimero.[32] Following his move to Hawaii, Briggs developed an interest in and commenced performing Hawaiian chant music,[32] following study under Blaine Kia.[1]

In 2003, Briggs provided an invited review of Sick of Being Me, a novel by Sean Egan, a novelist and journalist with a number of publications in relation to the music industry. The novel concerned the challenges to a struggling musician in the 1990s.[35]

In 2008, Briggs and his family relocated to New Zealand, the country of his wife's early years, where Briggs, known as Antion Meredith,[18] and his wife of over forty years, known as Elandra Kirsten Meredith, became yoga instructors.[36][1]

He died from cancer in 2021.[37]

https://www.goldminemag.com/columns/fabulous-flip-sides-in-memoriam-the-animals-vic-briggs

Antion Vikram Singh Meredith, photo courtesy of Pritam Potts

Anton Vikram Singh Meredith, photo courtesy of Pritam Potts

5 hours ago, Premi5 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Briggs

Following initial influences through attending a seminar by Baba Ram Das (the former Richard Alpert),[21] in January 1970 Briggs attended a Los Angeles yoga class instructed by Yogi Bhajan. Followers of Yogi Bhajan included singer Johnny Rivers. Briggs was profoundly influenced by the experience, and followed Yogi Bhajan for twenty years thereafter.[1] In retrospect, Briggs regarded his time with Yogi Bhajan as having been cult-like in nature.[28]

Briggs commenced studying Kundalini yoga and Nāda yoga, as well as Sikh sacred music.[18] At the request of Yogi Bhajan, Briggs returned to England in December 1970, to open a yoga studio and to teach Kundalini yoga[29] This was the first studio of Kundalini yoga in England.[18]

During this period, Briggs developed further interest in Sikh religious music, and in the Sikh religion, spending much time with members of the Sikh community in London.[29] Briggs was particularly attracted to the use of the harmonium in Sikh religious music, and commenced learning how to play it.[1][30] Members of the Sikh community in London began to refer to Briggs as Vikram Singh, and were impressed with Briggs' ability to sing and play Sikh sacred music. In 1971, Briggs was formally baptized as a Sikh[29][31] and chose the name Vikram,[31] to which was added Singh Khalsa.[1] Briggs was thereafter invited to perform at various Sikh temples throughout England.[29] Also during this period, Briggs met and later married actress Kirsten Lindholm, who also converted to Sikhism.

At the request of Yogi Bhajan, Briggs returned to southern California from England, in the early 1970s. Briggs attended the Ali Akbar College of Music in Marin County. In 1977, Yogi Bhajan appointed Briggs and his wife as co-directors of the Guru Ram Das Ashram, in San Diego.[29] They continued in that capacity until 1990,[18] when they left Yogi Bhajan. The involvement in the Sikh community of Briggs and his wife continued to grow; Briggs became one of the founding members of the Sikh temple in San Diego.[29] Briggs and his wife left Yogi Bhajan based on a dispute over whether the equity in the temple should belong to the local membership or to the central leadership.[31] During this period, Briggs also had a plumbing business in San Diego.[10]

In 1979, Briggs performed Sikh religious music throughout northern India[29] and was the first non-Indian to perform kirtan at Harimandir Sahib (also called the Golden Temple of Amritsar), which was a very powerful religious moment for him.[1] Briggs subsequently recorded several albums of Indian music. with a particular focus on the Gurbani kirtan, being representations of hymns from Sikh scriptures generally set to ragas.[1]

Briggs kept a degree of distance from Sikh social settings: "Sikhi spoke to my soul. Gurbani still speaks to my soul. I just prefer not to be involved much with Sikhs, Indian or American, because of the political considerations that are always present."[31]

The name Antion, which Briggs adopted as a stage name, came to Briggs following his observation of a solar eclipse above the ocean, from a beach at Del Mar, in 1992.[1]

In 1993,[18] Briggs and his family relocated to the Hawaiian island of Kauai.[32][33] While in Hawaii, Briggs had a radio show for a period of time.[1][34] During an earlier stopover in Hawaii, Briggs heard and developed an interest in the music of the Brothers Cazimero.[32] Following his move to Hawaii, Briggs developed an interest in and commenced performing Hawaiian chant music,[32] following study under Blaine Kia.[1]

In 2003, Briggs provided an invited review of Sick of Being Me, a novel by Sean Egan, a novelist and journalist with a number of publications in relation to the music industry. The novel concerned the challenges to a struggling musician in the 1990s.[35]

In 2008, Briggs and his family relocated to New Zealand, the country of his wife's early years, where Briggs, known as Antion Meredith,[18] and his wife of over forty years, known as Elandra Kirsten Meredith, became yoga instructors.[36][1]

He died from cancer in 2021.[37]

https://www.goldminemag.com/columns/fabulous-flip-sides-in-memoriam-the-animals-vic-briggs

Anton Vikram Singh Meredith, photo courtesy of Pritam Potts

he was hardcore defender of Yogi Bhajan and claimed that the ladies who gave evidence against YB in court about his abuses  and later the lady who wrote the book were liars or trying to blackmail him . Pretty low behaviour . All the white 3HO core had amrit in 1970 under orders of YB to do with his visit to India to showcase his 'conversions'

Screen-Shot-2014-03-10-at-4.27.37-PM-300x300.png

https://blog.spiritvoyage.com/mini-interview-with-belinda-carlisle/

Sat Nam Fest West is excited to welcome Belinda Carlisle of the most successful all female rock band of all time – The Go-Go’s!  She’ll be joining Simrit in Concert on Friday April 19!

We asked her just a few questions about how she got into Kundalini Yoga and what she’s practicing right now!

How did you get into Kundalini Yoga?

I was actually introduced to Kundalini Yoga 22 years ago, by my very first teacher Gurmukh Khalsa. I started a consistent practice about 7 years ago.

What is your personal practice right now?  

I pretty much have a daily practice. When I’m in L.A. I do at least 5 classes per week. I am usually on a 40 day meditation of some sort. I just finished 120 days of Kirtan Kriya. Now, I’m on to Sat Kriya, I don’t know how long… we’ll see!

This yoga has completely transformed my life. I’ve been searching for years for a spiritual practice and this feels like I’ve come home.

What is your favorite mantra and what does it mean?

I have always loved the Mul Mantra, as it is one of the first I learned, and I love the way it makes me feel. But I do love Ajai Alai – I love what it says, I feel very strong after chanting it! It’s very empowering! I’m learning Rakhe Rakhanhar now, and So Purkh is next.

In the Studio with Belinda Carlisle of The Go-Go’s and Simrit Kaur – From The Golden Bridge Yoga Global Village 

)

• 1 month later...