Black guy studying Sikhi wants to marry Sikh woman

Guest Singh

I really am shocked that you asked her dad for her hand in the Gurdwara. If the the father is strict this may have been taken as an insult. A way of shaming and creating a scene publicly. I dont believe this is what you intended but maybe that has something to do with his reaction. You should have done it in a private place. And the user who said some people will never accept you is correct. Some people will never fully accept you as a sikh because it goes against what soo many people have been taught. I have a family member who has children with a black man. The kids are not accepted in society and neither is she or her family anymore. Its sad but thats what happened. My family dont really communicate much with them either and its a real shame.  You cant choose where you come from. I really hope her family comes round though for her sake because it would be a great loss for her to lose her family completely. 

Guest Jacfsing2
6 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

err these were gursikhs here in the uk and had amrit from panj at normal sanchars  not anything to do with 3ho

That may be the case; however many people do have those assumptions, also the fact that many 3HOers give regular white Sikhs a bad name is a huge problem in the Sikh community. We can only work together as a community to fight racism, and it won't be an easy battle.

Just now, Jacfsing2 said:

That may be the case; however many people do have those assumptions, also the fact that many 3HOers give regular white Sikhs a bad name is a huge problem in the Sikh community. We can only work together as a community to fight racism, and it won't be an easy battle.

the day everyone in the sikh world says i am a sikh of guru granth sahib ji and guru panth sahib ji  and mean it the panth will be able to bring sach khand on earth in the hearts of others .

On 14/10/2017 at 0:43 PM, Guest Singh said:

In regards to her dad I went to the Gurdwara to ask for her hand in marriage, he shut me down on the spot.

Hey Bro. Just a piece of advice. Religion and culture may not be the same thing, but they are important to many people especially of our parents generation.  You need to understand this. What you have described above is a serious error on your part. Nobody, even Panjabi Sikhs go up to a girls father and say "I want to marry your daughter." It's not the protocol in our culture. It's very insulting for the girl's father to hear this from anyone let alone an person of different community . In our community if a boy-girl liked each other they would most likely discuss it with their parents, and if that were not possible, then with a aunt or uncle, to get the ball rolling and get a vichola arranged, if they couldn't contact the family direct.

Your direct approach, especially in a gurdwara, was something that can only be described as foolish.

If you are still interested in her, you should try and arrange a vichola, or middle-man to do this. Failing that, the girl has to take the step and aproach her parents.

Guest GuestSingh
On 10/14/2017 at 0:43 PM, Guest Singh said:

Hey guys thanks for your kind support. I really appreciate your thoughts and support. especially the guest who mentioned that he wouldn't let me marry his daughter. I've already found my Jaan thank you. also on a side note its people like him will never understand the true meaning of Sikhi. I pray that Waheguru bless you and your family and I hope the rest of your family doesn't turn out like you.

On a better note I am learning as I go along and I will keep practicing Sikhi. Being a human being is all I do. I feel very disheartened when I go to the Gurdwara with curiosity and wanting to be involved within the community. Unfortunately I feel I am seen as 'different' which yes I am black but all I want is to be apart of this beautiful faith. I want to raise our children in the Gurudwara (when we have kids) I hope they do not experience any of these things.  In regards to her dad I went to the Gurdwara to ask for her hand in marriage, he shut me down on the spot. I know this is a massive issue but I would have thought after some time he would of given it some thought and address the issue. Instead no one is allowed to communicate with us up to this day!

By humiliating her dad in such a place, you have made yourself look even more of a fool in front of the entire community. You are ignorant and arrogant of different culture and values. I am certain they will never forget that.

Also, I didn't mention I had a daughter. I wrote 'if I was in the same situation'. There is a big difference. What I find amusing is that you gloat about how you have found someone yet you are not even married and you are struggling to receive blessings for it. If she has any honour by choosing her father over you then how can she be your 'jaan'? Do you still feel happy about using this non-english word now?

Finally, who on earth are you to say that 'I will never understand the true meaning of Sikhi'. I know I am not perfect but if I wanted to change my thinking then, according to your logic, I will still never understand it. If people commit bigger sins than me then will they never understand it either. That would mean your man-made thinking has no hope for many people who would wish to better their lives. This is why I believe you have a big ego, as already reinforced by your stunt in the Gurduara. Your fake nice, sweet talk behind a keyboard might fool others but not me. I don't need your blessings either. I suggest you pray for yourself.

Guest Jacfsing2
1 hour ago, chatanga said:

Hey Bro. Just a piece of advice. Religion and culture may not be the same thing, but they are important to many people especially of our parents generation.  You need to understand this. What you have described above is a serious error on your part. Nobody, even Panjabi Sikhs go up to a girls father and say "I want to marry your daughter." It's not the protocol in our culture. It's very insulting for the girl's father to hear this from anyone let alone an person of different community . In our community if a boy-girl liked each other they would most likely discuss it with their parents, and if that were not possible, then with a aunt or uncle, to get the ball rolling and get a vichola arranged, if they couldn't contact the family direct.

Your direct approach, especially in a gurdwara, was something that can only be described as foolish.

If you are still interested in her, you should try and arrange a vichola, or middle-man to do this. Failing that, the girl has to take the step and aproach her parents.

Why can't I like this post?

On 14/10/2017 at 1:18 PM, Guest Guest Freak said:

Judging by how you write your posts, I'm starting to believe that you are affiliated with 3ho and not from the Panjab, as you have claimed.

Personal observations:

1. Very defensive when they are mentioned
  2. Liberal thinking on any topic raised, especially non-Panjabi & Sikh related e.g. this one
  3. Excessive use of americanisms
  4. No understanding or knowledge on Panjabi issues
  5. Unable to read Gurmukhi

I spoke to someone in the uk recently who heads a group that teaches Gurmukhi. He told me that 3ho are only just starting to learn it and practice 'yogi' bhajan's teachings less often. He also said they are starting to lose their pot bellies and smoke less but I don't know if this weird cult still dance to Gurbani, worship hindu gods and conduct gay marriages etc. Probably not as they wouldn't then make any profit. White freaks. I hope they burn in hell.

Hope they burn in hell.. That's a very judeo-christian concept.. Intriguing 

Guys, this is just another troll.

Ages ago there was another guy on the BBC Asian network forums, who used to post exactly the same stuff as this.

It was all just a wind up.

If it is true and If hes so bothered about sikhi, why doesn't he do the right thing and take amrit. That way he can prove his love for his partner by commiting to akal purakh.

I mean the true love should be for waheguru.

3 hours ago, satsangee said:

Guys, this is just another troll.

Ages ago there was another guy on the BBC Asian network forums, who used to post exactly the same stuff as this.

It was all just a wind up.

If it is true and If hes so bothered about sikhi, why doesn't he do the right thing and take amrit. That way he can prove his love for his partner by commiting to akal purakh.

I mean the true love should be for waheguru.

Why marry for religion? You could be a sikh and marry one of your own. Why want to marry a Sikh girl and upset her parents as well?