Christianity in UK

Dsinghd

4 hours ago, Dsinghdp said:

The religious census of the UK shows that Christianity has dropped down to 60%. With a further 25% non-religious. Islam is 4% and Sikhism and Hinduism are both close to 1%.

Christianity is practicaly over in the UK. All the churches would have been closed down or converted to mosques along time ago. If it was not for the african and other immigrant christian communities who have affectively taken over them and become the congrgations and priests. 

Same thing will happen to Sikhs if we are not careful. 

Gurdwaras need to adapt and encourage more to come. Yet I wonder. Would anyone go if there was no langar served?

22 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The UK is largely a post Christian society.

The institution of religion has been broken down over the past few decades for the British whites. 

How would you suggest that Gurdwaras adapt.

Are Sangat attendances down? Gurudware are packed over the weekends (though this could be due to the akhand paths, sukhmani paths and Anand Karajs taking place)and with the numerous Gurpurabs, Band Chor Divas and Vaisakhi.  

If you go to the Gurdwarae during the weekday, you'd be surprised how much Sangat there is at different times of the day.

Our congregation operates very differently to the Judeo Christian one.

Which is your local Gurdwara? Gurdwaras are not that busy during daytime or weekends. I can tell you this is true for Woolwich and Gravesend Gurdwaras. Certainly, there will be a lot of sangat in Langar Hall but not many sitting in Darbar Sahib

But yes, a lot busier than Churches. Churches (by choice/or not) allow all sorts of events to happen within them, like blood donation camps

Should Gurdwaras be opening the door for more community events?

11 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Which is your local Gurdwara? Gurdwaras are not that busy during daytime or weekends. I can tell you this is true for Woolwich and Gravesend Gurdwaras. Certainly, there will be a lot of sangat in Langar Hall but not many sitting in Darbar Sahib

But yes, a lot busier than Churches. Churches (by choice/or not) allow all sorts of events to happen within them, like blood donation camps

Should Gurdwaras be opening the door for more community events?

Now we are getting into specifics.

It is not the fact that Gurdwarae have a lot of Sangat,  it is the fact that they are not sitting in the darbar hall but in the langar hall.

This is because Gurdwarae in the west do not have the exact same function as it would be in Punjab.

Gurdwarae in the west are more than just places of worship,  they are like social centres bringing the community together but not in the way you would expect.

However, even on normal day you can get about 50 people sitting in the darbar hall at any one time.

The reason why it doesn't look like that is because darbar halls are so big. They can look half empty but can have quite a lot of people.

I'm surprised regarding Gravesend,  particularly since you have massive gurdwara with the large outdoor green area for those kabaddi tournaments.

Just now, Ranjeet01 said:

It is not the fact that Gurdwarae have a lot of Sangat,  it is the fact that they are not sitting in the darbar hall but in the langar hall.

This is because Gurdwarae in the west do not have the exact same function as it would be in Punjab.

Gurdwarae in the west are more than just places of worship,  they are like social centres bringing the community together but not in the way you would expect.

However, even on normal day you can get about 50 people sitting in the darbar hall at any one time.

The reason why it doesn't look like that is because darbar halls are so big. They can look half empty but can have quite a lot of people.

I'm surprised regarding Gravesend,  particularly since you have massive gurdwara with the large outdoor green area for those kabaddi tournaments.

Trust me, I have rarely gone to Gurdwaras (including East Ham, Karamsar Ilford, Woolwich Singh Sabha, Gravesend, Gillingham, Shepherd's Bush) at 'off-peak' hours and thought they were 'busy'. And yes, usually single digit number of sangat in Darbar halls. 

But again, luckily, a lot busier than most Churches

2 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Trust me, I have rarely gone to Gurdwaras (including East Ham, Karamsar Ilford, Woolwich Singh Sabha, Gravesend, Gillingham, Shepherd's Bush) at 'off-peak' hours and thought they were 'busy'. And yes, usually single digit number of sangat in Darbar halls. 

But again, luckily, a lot busier than most Churches

Personally, I have early been in the morning 5.30am and during rehras paath time 6.30ish you will get double figures.

People who are on early shifts or finished night shift in the mornings. After work for rehras and even during lunch times.

Sangat will fit it around their schedules. Also, people are going to vary their time in Darbar hall. 

Some are just going matha tek. Then others will sit for 5 minutes and then go. Some will do a full paath.

8 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I'm confused about what point you are making.. Are you suggesting sangat is not spending enough time in darbar? 

3 minutes ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

I'm confused about what point you are making.. Are you suggesting sangat is not spending enough time in darbar? 

It's a reply to the other poster.

He was mentioning that there are not enough sangat that attends the gurdwara but when we drilled down into the specifics. There are more people in the langar hall than the darbar.