Why do sikhs celebrate bandi chhor divas so much !!

SinghG

16 minutes ago, 13Mirch said:

Does it though?

Like most of the Sikh Qaum I believe it does. It's a good question though, and not one I've pondered over. Do you have info that says otherwise Veere?

Actually I have a question you may be able to answer: I've been told Sikhs (or Punjabis) celebrate something called Diwala, the day after Diwali. Do you know anything about this supposed celebration or what it entails? Could it be a masculinization of Diwali similar to Holi/Hola Mohalla?

4 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Like most of the Sikh Qaum I believe it does. It's a good question though, and not one I've pondered over. Do you have info that says otherwise Veere?

Actually I have a question you may be able to answer: I've been told Sikhs (or Punjabis) celebrate something called Diwala, the day after Diwali. Do you know anything about this supposed celebration or what it entails? Could it be a masculinization of Diwali similar to Holi/Hola Mohalla?

Diwala sounds something like a masculinization of Diwali. Otherwise I am just asking my question based on the conflicting theories which I have heard over the years. 

7 minutes ago, 13Mirch said:

Otherwise I am just asking my question based on the conflicting theories which I have heard over the years. 

Could you elaborate? It would be interesting to hear.

11 hours ago, simran345 said:

Sikhs do not come from Hindus. 

My great grandfather was a Hindu. Well, in fact he used to smoke a lot as well. However he wanted his family to be a Sikh. This was my grandfathers father. 

On the other hand my nanis father was very religious. Waking up at amrit vela and doing ishnaan in the nadhi. He was fully literate too and had a huge collection of sakhis which he narrated as bed time stories to the whole village. 

However, what makes you think we are not from the Hindus. There were only muslims and Hindus at that time in India. of course, unless you are not from India, which I assume you are penji. 

If we go back to the time of Sri Guru HarGobind Sahib Ji, Sikhi was not really existing in its real form as it is today. Sikh meant a follower of the Guru. There was no main distinction. Most people wore turbans. Hair cuts were introduced by the whites. People who were in seva and were Hindus were turbaned too. The style may be different. 

If you take yourself back to that time, when Sikhs were not distinguished, then this is what happened. When Guru Har Gobind Sahib Ji was released from prison, he rescued 52 Hindu rajas and came back to his city which was all lit up with divas because all were celebrating Diwali. Hence both celebrations co-incided together.

https://www.allaboutsikhs.com/sikh-festivals/the-sikh-festivals-divalibandi-chhorh-divas

Look at it another way. This was the day Ram, who is believed to be one of the roops of God came and this is the time when Guru JI who is believed to be Waheguru came back to his own city after people had been missing Guru Ji so much. There was all the reason for celebration. 

When Sikhi had not been declared to be Sikhi and the Sikhs had not been declared by Guru Gobind Singh Ji to be different from the Hindus, we still were the same people. It is the coming generations which adopted a pure form of Sikhi - which  what we know today. Shabads anf the SGGS we know today were non-existent until Guru Arjun Dev Ji composed the Adh Granth. What were we reading then? It was scattered shabads from the first 4 Gurus which were found here and there. 

The work done by Guru Arjun Dev Ji is truely great indeed. He preserved the Bani so that we can get it in its purest form even today.

@sikhni777 you are talking about your family penji. But as far as I know, our family have always been Sikhs. My ancestors were Sikh and even from my mother’s side the ancestors have been Sikhs as far back as I’m told. Even before Sikhi, it does not mean one came from Hindus or Muslims. That only applies to the ancestoral background at that time. I’ll say it again, Sikhs do not come from Hindus as you’ve stated. Sikhi has its own identity. No offence to your family, but its quite interesting as it’s only your after your great grandfather that are Sikhs? As far as I’m aware of, it goes back quite far in ours. But I understand what you mean by saying the ancestors could have been a religion other than Sikh back then. 

Look up the "Turiya" group on Facebook they have a very interesting thread open discussing i whether there is any Ithiasic evidence that Sikhs celebrated Bandi Chor Divas...or whether it is a modern invention by hinduphobic Sikhs.

They point to Suraj Prakash and panth Prakash which apparently details where Guru Hargobind Maharaj celebrated Divali with Sikhs...

On 20/10/2017 at 6:38 PM, monatosingh said:

I don't know but I am pretty sure Dhan Dhan Guru Nanak Dev Ji was not sent to prison. The 6th Nanak (Dhan Dhan Guru Hargobind Singh Ji) was in prison and got Kings released hence why Bandi Chhor Divas is celebrated.

yes he was when he confronted Babur by calling him a Jhabbar ...that is where he was in dhian of Akal Purakh and the chakki was grinding the wheat/corn untouched this was witnessed by the guards and they ran to Babur and told him he has made a great mistake to imprison a man of God 

On 20/10/2017 at 5:15 PM, sikhni777 said:

If we look back into history and see where we came from i.e from the Hindus, then you may understand more about this topic. I think when Hindus  first born sons were being given to become Sikhs, they wanted something at least that they could celebrate together. Hence the Hindu part of the family would celebrate Diwali and then the Sikhs would be celebrating the Bhandhi shor diwas.

Many other youngsters would have more questions of this sort. Well the answer is Who stopped you from celebrating anything in any way? We have had mothers days, fathers days and many others etc added to our list of celebrations. My son was asking me in tears just the other day when the Happy childrens day is going to be? 

Many Sikhs have got Hindu ways of celebrating Diwali. I think the word Bhandhi shor has now recently come into force by way of media. My mum had a diva and many people from the older generation still believe in keeping a light on so that the Goddess Laxmi can visit their house and there will be plentiful money. 

Long story short - celebrate whatever you want. No ones stopping you. Hold a sehaj path at the Guradwara and call your relatives and say it is in memory of Guru Nanak Dev Ji coming out of prison. Research and tell them about your speech. Or call a giani Ji for special katha. Hold a special evening at your home and invite your relatives or friends and tell them about Guru Ji. Wouldn't they just be thrilled ?

You decide what to celebrate and when and how. The problem is that we are just not focused enough to celebrate special moments in Sikhi. Some people in some places are taking the lead. 

All our Guru Sahiban have introduce new gurmukh ways of parallel celebrating by rememberance of Akal Purakh for the big celebrations of other faiths e.g. vaisakh, dusshera, diwali ...this lighting of divey is traditional as they used light to represent the chanan that is Guru ji blessing them  not to wish lakshmi to come into their homes because Guru Sahiban made it clear that gurmukhs will be served by maya/lakshmi they are sewak of Akal Purakh. Vahim and bharam afflict our kaum because of losing touch of our own history books and reliance on Hindu/christian even muslim commentators

Well Sikhs have been celebrating Diwali long before the events pertaining to Bandi Chhorr Divas occurred. Guru Amar Das Ji, who instructed that we celebrate Diwali, not for the return of Ram, however for the remembrance that good prevails over evil, and that we should always "enlight" ourselves over ignorance. We should also celebrate Bandi Chhor Divas as well, as it is again the victory of good over evil, however it is also the celebration of our Guru (Guru Hargobind Singh Ji) returning from  captivity. So there you have it.