Why all descriptions of samadhi (spiritual awakening) sound uncanny and creepy?

Hi Sangat jeo , 

As we do paath or naam japp, there are three things : 1) You, 2) Paath / guru , 3) the action of doing paath

All three things are different.

However , samadhi is said to be state where all the three things become one. The knower, the known and the knowing melt into one.

This is said to be state when a person's consciousness melts into global consciousness. 

Sounds cool ? Well , actually the more I read about this state the more I find it uncanny and unsettling and a little scary.

As someone asked on quora https://www.quora.com/How-does-samadhi-feel-like

Someone replied thus : 

Samadhi is similar to a baby in mother's womb (not exactly the same, but similar). You don't identify yourself with your body, the "I" or "ego" is absent. You will have life in you BUT Someone else protects you, someone else eats for you, someone else walks for you, you are neither a boy nor a girl, you dont see, hear, taste or touch, i.e you don't use your five senses as though you are sleeping and yet you are  awake and aware. 

A poem on samadhi by Paramhansa Yogananda is even more unsettling and kinda graphic 

Vanished the veils of light and shade,
Lifted every vapor of sorrow,
Sailed away all dawns of fleeting joy,
Gone the dim sensory mirage.
Love, hate, health, disease, life, death,
Perished these false shadows on the screen of duality.
Waves of laughter, scyllas of sarcasm, melancholic whirlpools,
Melting in the vast sea of bliss.
The storm of maya stilled
By magic wand of intuition deep.
The universe, forgotten dream, subconsciously lurks,
Ready to invade my newly wakened memory divine.
I live without the cosmic shadow,
But it is not, bereft of me;
As the sea exists without the waves,
But they breathe not without the sea.
Dreams, wakings, states of deep turiya sleep;
Present, past, future, no more for me,
But ever-present, all-flowing I, I, everywhere.
Planets, stars, stardust, earth,
Volcanic bursts of doomsday cataclysms,
Creation’s molding furnace,
Glaciers of silent x-rays, burning electron floods,
Thoughts of all men, past, present, to come,
Every blade of grass, myself, mankind,
Each particle of universal dust,
Anger, greed, good, bad, salvation, lust,
I swallowed, transmuted all
Into a vast ocean of blood of my own one Being!
Smoldering joy, oft-puffed by meditation,
Blinding my tearful eyes,
Burst into immortal flames of bliss,
Consumed my tears, my frame, my all.
Thou art I, I am Thou,
Knowing, Knower, Known, as One!
Tranquilled, unbroken thrill, eternally living, ever new peace!
Enjoyable beyond imagination of expectancy, samadhi bliss!
Not a mental chloroform
Or unconscious state without wilful return,
Samadhi but
extends my conscious realm
Beyond limits of the mortal frame
To farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea,
Watch the little ego floating in me.
The sparrow, each grain of sand, fall not without my sight.
All space like an iceberg floats within my mental sea.
Colossal Container, I, of all things made.
By deeper, longer, thirsty, guru-given meditation
Comes this celestial samadhi.
Mobile murmurs of atoms are heard,
The dark earth, mountains, vales, lo! molten liquid!
Flowing seas change into vapors of nebulae!
Aum blows
upon vapors, opening wondrously their veils,
Oceans stand revealed, shining electrons,
Till, at last sound of the cosmic drum,
Vanish the grosser lights into eternal rays
Of all-pervading bliss.
From joy I came, for joy I live, in sacred joy I melt.
Ocean of mind, I drink all Creation’s waves.
Four veils of solid, liquid, vapor, light, Lift aright.
Myself, in everything, enters the Great Myself.
Gone forever, fitful, flickering shadows of mortal memory.
Spotless is my mental sky, below, ahead, and high above.
Eternity and I, one united ray.
A tiny bubble of laughter, I
Am become the Sea of Mirth Itself

And considering that this state (or lack of any state) is the ultimate aim of rehit/ gurbani or any other belief system, we're expected to aspire in this direction .

But, We can truly never understand this state , as gurbani says "Goonge ki mitheyai" (sweet eaten by mute person, he can't describe it) , but I have always been curious of it . Its a state we find ourselves in deep sleep too , where we're not even aware of our ownself .However how would it feel like forever. Its kinda strange really. 

The only way spiritual experiences make sense is if we imagine ourselves without a body. This means just soul. A soul has no eyes,ears, mouth, skin or other feelings including the mind which judges all our senses. 

So what does your soul feel like to you?  You will have to shut your eyes and dive deep into yourself with the help of bani in order to discover it. Forget your mind- do not listen to your mind.  Just try to feel.

It will be an odd feeling at first because we judge everything using our bodily organs especially the mind.

On 30/10/2017 at 2:57 AM, sikhni777 said:

The only way spiritual experiences make sense is if we imagine ourselves without a body. This means just soul. A soul has no eyes,ears, mouth, skin or other feelings including the mind which judges all our senses. 

So what does your soul feel like to you?  You will have to shut your eyes and dive deep into yourself with the help of bani in order to discover it. Forget your mind- do not listen to your mind.  Just try to feel.

It will be an odd feeling at first because we judge everything using our bodily organs especially the mind.

right bhenji , but still its uncanny lol . Being one with the universe and the universe becoming my body , when infact we're used to living in such a small human body . 

if only I can get a glimpse of that state 

You have had that state many times. When you have been coming and going in all the different births and all the deaths. It is God who makes us forget it and we can engaged in moh maya. This state seems alien to us then. However in our end days we will face the truth once again.  It is like engaging in a film watching activity.  When the cinema closes or your ticket for that particular film expires you need to face the truth and go back  to your home. 

If you know what going back home is going to feel like, then you will be mentally prepared. if you have taken the time to plan your journey properly because you know there will be many dangers in the night, you will find it easier. If you have not planned properly then you will get a misfortune and get caught up in some disaster.

This applies to our life. If we do not forget why we came here - aaeeyo sunan paran ko bani, then we will have an easy time going back. If we forgot to plan our journey back, then firstly we will be shocked when our life ends and will not want to leave our body. This is the state to which Gurbani says that the jam will come and pull our hair and beat us hard. This happens to people who are in denial of going back for judgement. They have to be fotrced to go back.

However the Gurmukh has been preparing for this journey back home. Some will be informed of their time to leave the world. They will be received by Guru Ji, shaheed singhs or by angels. They will be taken back to their home with great respect. Mane pat siu pargat jae.

Mane marag thaak na paye. There will no obstacles on their way. Guru Ji will come to save them. Even the sins which have not been destroyed by Naam simran will get neutralised by Guru Kirpa.

People who regularly engage in simran are able to see into these states. This is however all the wish of the Almighty how much he decides to reveal to anyone. All we can do is stay in hukam and do as much naam jap because that is the only thing that will go will us and save us in the end.

Actually simran is not an activity or so I have heard. Simran is something that happens in the back of our mind spontaneously.

Simran means "rememberance" , not japp which means recitation. So when someone does "waheguru waheguru" using lips or in mind, its japp . Simran means continuous remembrance of the beloved. Like how a person forever longs for his or her dear one, even if that dear one is far away. Infact then it becomes hard to stop remembering ! The person is forever being remembered by the person here , even if in back of mind while doing daily tasks. I think that exactly is what "simran" means. Its a state of being rather than "doing" something.

Japp on the other hand is doing. I have to put efforts . Perhaps japp leads to simran. 

As someone said "What does samadhi feel like ?" "Remember the time in your life when you were very very happy and contended. Thats when you caught a glimpse of it" , except parmananda in samadhi is forever. 

Even paramanand is so hard to understand , esp because we live in duality of happiness and sadness . I wonder what that "everlasting bliss" even is like , esp when "everlasting" itself is nothing in universe. 

• 1 month later...

Try to read bhai veer singh. He makes that state seem very blissful and joyful. He stated that itsike awakening to another type of life. Thats why guru is jeevan data. Like imagine a rock could become alive. Imagine a tree could have movement. Animals have intelligencelanguage. We humans have 1 farther awakening to do. Its hard to imagine yet much better than where we are now.