Is listening to Bhangra songs wrong in Sikhi?

Guest Kaur 2

VJKK VJKF

Is listening to Bhangra songs wrong in Sikhi? I couldn't find any gurbani quotes about it and I couldn't find any Basics of Sikhi/Nanak Naam videos about it. I want to know if I have been doing the wrong thing and I want to put a stop to it quick.

VJKK VJKF  

It would be more beneficial for you to listen to shabads if you plan to get closer to God. The message from those songs in anti-gurmat - you dont want to feed your soul on ---- aj mae pini yaaa. You gain more by listening to Amrit peeevio sadha chir jeevo. Listen to sachi bani and amrit bani. 

The Gurus never wrote any songs for us to listen to... they gave us bani... listen to shabads as much as you can.

check out an earlier discussion

Nothing wrong with songs but i find bhangra songs are usually really lustful and dirty or usually about some stupid gang etc. 

There are good punjabi songs that teach real values as well but now days they are rare.

Bhangra these days is the epitome of gandh.

Old Punjabi songs however, are epic - a lot of them are deep, and a lot provide light-hearted harmless entertainment. Although, you have to be quite desi at heart to appreciate them.

Compare todays rubbish with these two examples:

Ask your folks about the days they used to kali bhande.

This song I believe, is far deeper than it seems - depending on how you hear it personally, it sounds like a devotional song, much like Sufi/Qawwali. Truly amazing example of the depth of Punjabi poetry.

Mrdoaba is right - Old songs are better but they are an acquired taste - 

Muslims have much richer and better religious music - from qawali to religious English music  - better of listening to that - 

VJKK VJKF

I think that what Gurdas Maan sings about has a good message about how much the world is changing and tbh that's probably the only song I listen to because it is quite deep. Another one I listen to is Punjab by Gurdas Maan. Its about Shaheed Bhagat Singh. 

Fateh Ji

In my opinion I think listening to bhangra songs is decent. The act of bhangra (i.e dancing) could be forbidden it depends though if you are religious or not.

Just make sure the bhangra doesn't have a bad influence on you. 

Bhul chuk maaf 

Fateh Ji

Guest Kahan singh

Beta ji once you start getting imbued in simran, you will probably have the answer. You will try to avoid everything else other than simran.  There is nothing good or bad in this world the only thing is intentions and mind.  Dasam bani especially akaal ustat is what i want you to read. It clears many questions. 

?

i dont comment frequently but i read sikhsangat all the time and i can see u r the same bibi who ask so many gurmat question since about last month and willing to take amrit. 

Its good beta keep asking questions and try to make ur life more and more connected to God

8 hours ago, Guest New 1 said:

Muslims have much richer and better religious music - from qawali to religious English music  - better of listening to that - 

Errmm no. That's not the point I was making. While qawwali is good is doesn't come close to Maharaajs Bani and Shabad Kirtan. Bhajan Kirtan is Pavitar. And we're not on the topic of religious music anyway.

A Sakhi:

A group of qawwals came to Damdami Taksal to display their talents and the Sangat was enamoured with the music they heard and they received praise from everybody. They then proceeded to insult and shame a member of the Taksals Kirtan Jatha by saying "allah ne tuhanu Raag ni bakshe ah". The Singh of the Jatha was upset with their comments and took it to heart, he then went to Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji to explain what had happened. Sant Ji told him not to worry and keep bharosa in Guru Sahib - he was instructed to do a Chalisa of Raagmala and then return. After completing the Chalisa the Singh joined his Jatha and began to do Kirtan - the Sangat was left speechless as well as the qawwals - the Kirtan which was heard could not be described in words - the only word which comes close is divine. The qawwals begged for maafi and promptly left the Dera with their heads hanging in shame.

The level of Gyaan Maharaaj can baksh is not comparable to anything else. With true sharda Guru Sahib does beant Kirpa.

Vaheguru