Whats the viability of British pro-EU Sikhs moving to Ireland?

superkaur

2 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Right, there are plenty of reasons why people were skeptical of Brexit before the vote, and some still are now. But, as you say, that's now reason for British Sikhs to leave the joint now that Brexit is coming into being, unlike what @superkaur is saying, which I am still at a failure to understand why Sikhs should want to leave the UK.

If anything, I think Brexit could possibly work in favour of Sikhs now that the UK will once again be a sovereign state. Or it could go completely the other way, we all know what whitey can be like. Plus now India doesn't have to contend with the EU, so they might proceed with the buggery of Britain.

Sikh community is about 1500 and there is a Gurdwara Sahib in central Dublin and is open all days with Kirtan divans on Tuesday evenings and Sunday.

Ireland has a lot of investment from US multinational firms. Most of tech giants have their EU headquarters in Ireland... including Facebook, Google, Microsoft. Decent Investment banking presence as well... lot of Pharma companies including Pfizer have huge operations here. So overall job market is good for tech/science/business background people.

Irish are welcoming and there is lot of migration in recent years so you will see a big number of Polish, other EU, Indian and Pakistani population here. Interestingly most of the migration from Pakistan in last few years has been of educated people working as doctors/consultants. However in last two years they found a loophole in EU law and lot of illegal Pakistanis living in UK have been coming here to get "Pakke"..

There is some racism which I guess will always be the case in any country where you live as minority and yes it also leads to obstacles if you want to move up the corporate ladder in senior management positions. Few years ago Irish police banned Sikhs wearing Turban to join the force and Sikhs lost the case as well. Some of this was also due to trouble makers within our own community as well who are always trying to harm the community from within. So working in some of the public service with a specific dress code will be challenge for a while.

They have lot of multidenominational Educate Together schools here which are very open and no uniform and allow for al type of religious clothes to be worn. Kids don't face any problems in these schools.

• 3 years later...
On 11/29/2017 at 7:48 PM, superkaur said:

When the UK eventually brexists and leaves the European Union in 2019 the closet UK like and english speaking nation would be Ireland which would be remanining in the EU.

Many British Sikhs who want to be part of the EU may want to relocate and migrate to the republic of Ireland.

So does anyone what is the viability of doing so?

Are there many Sikhs in ireland?

Are there Gurdwara's there?

What are the employment prospects for ethnic/religious minorities?

So, did you or anyone you know emigrate ?