How do you prevent your sibling or offspring following another religion or none?

superkaur

Say you have a young brother or sister or you have your own kids...

How would you stop or guide them from converting to another religion or leaving Sikhi altogether and become atheist?

In Islam and christianity the kids are brainwashed quite heavily against leaving the faith which would mean eternal hellfire for the disbeliever and only path to salvation is following that faith.

Does Sikhi have anything like that in scriptures which we should be teaching our people so that they do not take lightly the thought of leaving the protection and beauty of Sikhi. I know there is verses which state without the Guru there is no salvation (of the soul) in this life...

3 hours ago, superkaur said:

How would you stop or guide them from converting to another religion or leaving Sikhi altogether and become atheist?

In Islam and christianity the kids are brainwashed quite heavily against leaving the faith which would mean eternal hellfire for the disbeliever and only path to salvation is following that faith.

Does Sikhi have anything like that in scriptures which we should be teaching our people so that they do not take lightly the thought of leaving the protection and beauty of Sikhi. I know there is verses which state without the Guru there is no salvation (of the soul) in this life...

I don't know how to stop someone from being an Atheist.  However, if they're converting to another religion, point out how stupid that other religion is.  Have them compare both faiths and traditions thoroughly.  Look at both critique and merit.  Evaluate each faith.     Plain and simple.

12 hours ago, superkaur said:

Everyone's free to do what they want. 

The Gurus never Stopped anyone or pushed anyone to believe anything. They respected everyone's choice to believe what they chose. They just taught. 

All u can do is teach. U never push anyone to do or believe anything, that's completely contrary to the Gurus teachings of religious tolerance. 

16 hours ago, TejS said:

Simple reason is you can’t and you shouldn’t.

But that’s only an option if you’ve thoroughly taught your children from a very early age about Sikhi. And I mean sit down and explain everything you yourself know to the children about Sikhi. My parents did this and naturally as I grew I began to compare the religion to other religious systems, and I realized the flaws they had and realized that Sikhi was best for me. Most Sikh youth get swayed by other religious converters because parents didn’t bother to impart Sikhi properly to children. Forcing your child to grow kes isn’t teaching our kids Sikhi. Telling them the meaning, importance behind it, and encouraging them to grow kes is what leads to teaching Sikhi.

And if there’s someone who is willing to change religion for marrying someone, then no matter how many threats and fears you throw at the person, like Muslims do, will not make them realize and accept the religion. In fact you will be subjecting that individual to a life of misery and lie.

And if someone has decided that religion is not something they want in their life at all, you can’t stop them either.

And if someone has decided that God does not exist at all, then you once again cannot stop them. 

Those last two decisions are extreme and are usually undeterred by any means of persuasion.

But by imparting Sikhi to our children, those who are most likely to follow a religion will follow Sikhi and will not be easily swayed to convert.

But then again this is all a matter of ethics, morals and perspectives. Someone might rather wish to be gifted 72 virgin females in heaven rather than be absorbed back into the Creator. 

I like this answer. God will grace somebody in their Hukam. 

16 hours ago, LightofNaam said:

Everyone's free to do what they want. 

The Gurus never Stopped anyone or pushed anyone to believe anything. They respected everyone's choice to believe what they chose. They just taught. 

All u can do is teach. U never push anyone to do or believe anything, that's completely contrary to the Gurus teachings of religious tolerance. 

Not push but provide assertive guidance. Sikhi is unique from other religions, if you read SGGS Ji you will see Guru Ji rejects the islamic and hindu rituals.... and speaks out against those inhumane rituals and practices and other social ill's of humanity. Is that religious tolerance? Some may say in today's snowflake westernised societies that is not tolerant and that is outspoken teachings and offending speech that may rock the boat.

Guru's Sikhs weren't Lilly liberal idiots that most Sikhs are today. The Guru's Sikhs of the past knew other religions were false and only Sikhi was worthy of being followed. Yes some of the religious scriptures in books of other religions are not false because they provide historical and religious context of how beliefs evolved but other religions are false because as gurbani said without the guru your soul will not be saved in this world......So we need to ask what has changed?

What has changed is what is being taught in our households, online (social media / websites) and religious institutions....from my assessment it seems there's no passion, there is no conviction, no inspiring speeches in English, no fight left in them..... the granthi's and the preachers are too softly spoken like hippys not enough assertive no nonsense and passionate preaching.

19 hours ago, superkaur said:

Not push but provide assertive guidance. Sikhi is unique from other religions, if you read SGGS Ji you will see Guru Ji rejects the islamic and hindu rituals.... and speaks out against those inhumane rituals and practices and other social ill's of humanity. Is that religious tolerance? Some may say in today's snowflake westernised societies that is not tolerant and that is outspoken teachings and offending speech that may rock the boat.

I agree with most of what you're saying but they're not forcing people to change religions etc. They're just speaking the Truth Fearlessly. No matter what the cost, we're always meant to speak the Truth. Sikhs we're tortured because of their unwillingness to lie and their loyalty to God. 

When it comes to forcing or pressuring someone that's not right, that's intolerance. You can call someone a fool when they're a fool without doing it in anger and without needing anything from anyone. Whether we practice Truth or not makes no different to God, He's already winning. 

And the losers lose as He Wills it.