Central Khalsa Orphanage and its rules

Guest whiplash90

On 21/12/2017 at 5:20 PM, LightofNaam said:

The kids should be free to make their own choices

Kids should NEVER be free to make their own choices. Only adults can make free choices. Even in US, a guardian must agree or give permission for most things a child wants to do. Its the law. Children are not considered sound of mind or mature enough to make choices. 

If u allow them to, they will eat candy all day n get sick. 

As long as the kids can choose to cut their hair when they are adults. Thats fine. 

Plus u wouldnt want the minority kids to feel left out and not fit in right?

On 21/12/2017 at 8:02 AM, Guest whiplash90 said:

Hello Guys

I found out that the Central Khalsa Orphanage based in Amritsar requires that its non-Sikh boys who are admitted be required to grow their hair and wear patkas until the age of 12 and turbans until they turn 18 in which they can cut their hair again.

What do you think of this?

How many non-Sikhs are there in Khalsa Orphanage? I would have thought that they would only really be Sikh kids there in the first place.

3 hours ago, chatanga said:

How many non-Sikhs are there in Khalsa Orphanage? I would have thought that they would only really be Sikh kids there in the first place.

not judging by behaviour of others in relation to poor people , they will probably be ignored that's how they are found or given to Guru ji's orphanage , Daya is a very rare thing in India these days. Frankly they are better off being in the tutelage of gursikhs as they will inculcate the principle of one jaat, one family of humanity.

On 22/12/2017 at 12:48 AM, jkvlondon said:

so you proposing barber should called on monthly basis and paid for by gursikhs to go against the hukham of Guru ji? They will be sinning two times against children and against Guru ji's hukham. Baru Sahib also have strict rules on not cutting hair and wearing dastars/chunnis so are they also wrong?

Kids should be allowed to make their own choices within reason. Bhagat Prahlad Ji was young and knew his own mind when he stood up to his father's tyrannical ways. 

My parents gave us freedom of choice all our lives and it ended up with me being the only one in our entire family group including cousins(I have many), who doesn't drink smoke and believes in God and recognises myself to be a bhagat. 

That's what freedom of choice did for me. 

Had I been forced to grow my hair long and wear a patka from a young age, chances are id have taken it off like a huge number of my cousins. 

Guest whiplash90

Well just like Sikh boys living in the West are facing peer pressure to cut their hair and discard their patkas and turbans I presume the opposite is happening at the Central Khalsa Orphanage. Imagine an orphaned Hindu boy who is 6 years old and short hair being admitted to the Central Khalsa Orphanage, even if he was not required to grow his hair and wear a patka by the administration of the orphanage, he would be under tremendous pressure to do so by the other boys who have unshorn hair and wearing patkas

http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/03/08/otr-india-religion-newton-pkg.cnn

5 hours ago, Guest whiplash90 said:

Well just like Sikh boys living in the West are facing peer pressure to cut their hair and discard their patkas and turbans I presume the opposite is happening at the Central Khalsa Orphanage. Imagine an orphaned Hindu boy who is 6 years old and short hair being admitted to the Central Khalsa Orphanage, even if he was not required to grow his hair and wear a patka by the administration of the orphanage, he would be under tremendous pressure to do so by the other boys who have unshorn hair and wearing patkas

http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/03/08/otr-india-religion-newton-pkg.cnn

If he wants to then fine. If not then he shouldn't have to. He should be allowed to choose. If his parents were Hindu or Muslim he may end up being resentful that he was made to wear certain items.

How would this make the Orphanage owners different from Hindu or Muslim tyrants from back in the day. 

Gurus taught respect of freedom of choice of others, regardless of their views of other faiths.