Celebrating the birth of Jesus

Big_Tera

3 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Its about seting a good example to the youngsters. Kids are like sponges they absorb everything around them. If all the have is Christmas celebration and easter celebration. and no teaching or celebration of their own faith. 

how will these kids end up 5 10 years down the line. we are already seeing many of our youth becoming christian. yet the liberal fatsos. wont have it any other way.  They want to surround the impressionable youth with Christmas festivities. then when the same kids lose all belief in their own religion and go to other faiths. they cry. 

What may seem harmless to an adult is completely different to a child growing up. we must not send them confusing messages at this early age.

is it any wonder why alot of punjabis are the laughing stock. the have been brought up with zero knowledge of their own faith. yet plenty abut the virgin mary and jesus, presents, santa ect. its time to wake up and smell the coffee. dont bury your head in the sand. 

PUTARAYO

I don't think panjabis are a laughing stock I'm not sure how you arrive at that characterisation.. Sikh panjabis in particular have a very positive image in the world 

8 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

Why should a Sikh compromise on their faith just to appease the crowd?

A Sikh celebrating Christmas just for presents is like a Christian celebrating Bandi Chorr just for mittiayi in my eyes. Once boundaries  are crossed for personal gratification then where does it stop? Treating Sikhi like a sweet shop is why these Panjabi's/so-called 'Sikhs' are weak in their Sikhi.

I don't think it's about appeasing the crowd. I think we read into celebrating Christmas too much. That is just my opinion though. In celebrating something you can celebrate it as an observer or non-observer; even most white people are non-observers in this respect.

For example, if I lived in Israel I would celebrate Hanukkah. I would probably buy a Menorah too and generally join in the festivities. Doesn't make me Jewish becasue I wouldn't be celebrating for the same reasons as an observant Jew.

Or if I lived in Mexico I would celebrate Day of the Dead. I would probably buy a skull or some other imagery relating to it and have a family meal as they do. Doesn't mean I'm a Pagan or a Catholic nor does it mean I'm worshipping the dead or making offerings to them.

Same for say Chinese New Year - the red banners, envelopes, gifts, food, watch performances, do fireworks. But I do not follow Chinese Folk Religion.

I'm sure you get the picture. None of this would make me any less of a Sikh nor would it weaken my Sikhi.

12 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

I don't think it's about appeasing the crowd. I think we read into celebrating Christmas too much. That is just my opinion though. In celebrating something you can celebrate it as an observer or non-observer; even most white people are non-observers in this respect.

For example, if I lived in Israel I would celebrate Hanukkah. I would probably buy a Menorah too and generally join in the festivities. Doesn't make me Jewish becasue I wouldn't be celebrating for the same reasons as an observant Jew.

Or if I lived in Mexico I would celebrate Day of the Dead. I would probably buy a skull or some other imagery relating to it and have a family meal as they do. Doesn't mean I'm a Pagan or a Catholic nor does it mean I'm worshipping the dead or making offerings to them.

Same for say Chinese New Year - the red banners, envelopes, gifts, food, watch performances, do fireworks. But I do not follow Chinese Folk Religion.

I'm sure you get the picture. None of this would make me any less of a Sikh nor would it weaken my Sikhi.

I think you are missing the point mate. Is celebrating and joining in with the christmas festisvities setting a good example to young impressionable kids in the houshold? Many Sikh families have become agnostic as it is. Also it maybe harmless fun for a devout Sikh. Who is secure in his faith. but not all sikhs come from this secure background. Many will grow up thinking Sikhs will celebrate and join in with anything and everthing in the name of having a bit of fun. Such aa celebrating hindu occasions aswell. Just because 'its a bit of fun' as you say. 

Not to mention Sikhs who hardly celebrate their own faith occassions.

Alot of people are making the mistake of saying things based on themselves. But not looking at the bigger picture based on many different types of Sikh families and structures. There are many Sikh families that hardly go to the gurdwara ot have a strong belief in their faith. 

1 minute ago, Big_Tera said:

I think you are missing the point mate. Is celebrating and joing in with the christmas festisvities setiing a good example to young impressionable kids in the houshold? Many Sikh fanilies have become agnostic as it is. Also it maybe harmless fun for a devout Sikh. Who is secure in his faith. but not all sikhs come from this background. 

Ah I see. Good point. But then those people do not have Sikhi in them to begin with, they don't care. And it's not out of ignorance, or lack of knowledge (it was at one point). They genuinely do not give a sh!t. There's plenty of awareness, you can't force it on people. So sanu ki ah? Unless they deliberately try to misinform others or say something ridiculous like "celebrating Christmas is a Sikh thing", then frankly I don't care.

24 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

but doesn't that come under 'bhed chaal'?

12 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

Ah I see. Good point. But then those people do not have Sikhi in them to begin with, they don't care. And it's not out of ignorance, or lack of knowledge (it was at one point). They genuinely do not give a sh!t. There's plenty of awareness, you can't force it on people. So sanu ki ah? Unless they deliberately try to misinform others or say something ridiculous like "celebrating Christmas is a Sikh thing", then frankly I don't care.

je maa pio khu'ch shaal maarke dubb gehe , bacche nu nahin bachon da farz sadda nahin reha? that's what the goray in whitehall want us assimilated just like the other sheep in the TV drivel and sports drivel and eating drinking spending drivel forgetting Waheguru

1 minute ago, MrDoaba said:

Not in my opinion, no.

Why do you think it does?

because you are following the crowd for no other reason than to fit into the flock , frankly I am a human gifted with a brain by Akal Purakh it would ingratitude to switch it off and do something I would regret later in Dargah ... no human can help or answer for me ... especially when I do not believe in all those faiths. Next you'll be saying you'd keep roza during ramadan because you are in a muslim dominant country under that train of logic...it's a slippery slope off the edge of sikhi

9 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

je maa pio khu'ch shaal maarke dubb gehe , bacche nu nahin bachon da farz sadda nahin reha? that's what the goray in whitehall want us assimilated just like the other sheep in the TV drivel and sports drivel and eating drinking spending drivel forgetting Waheguru

There's plenty of kids from religious families who are not religious as adults, and plenty from non-religious families who are religious as adults.

The info is out there. Take it or leave it.

On the other hand, maybe there should be more prachaar about celebrating it, and where one stands if they do.

1 minute ago, MrDoaba said:

There's plenty of kids from religious families who are not religious as adults, and plenty from non-religious families who are religious as adults.

The info is out there. Take it or leave it.

On the other hand, maybe there should be more prachaar about celebrating it, and where one stands if they do.

how about getting the basic information and facts of history and Gurbani out so they all know which way is up before they decide how religious they are....