Jump to content
HarfunMaula

Portrayal of Sikhs in Pakistani cinema

Recommended Posts

I wrote this after being on the other topic that was made regarding the negative portrayal of a Sikh woman in a Pakistani drama. Here are some of my observations over the years:

The portrayal of Sikhs in Pakistani cinema ranges from the sometimes positive to the rather often negative end of the spectrum. One of the first films to be a big hit in Pakistan was based on a fictional Sikh character during the times of partition: Kartar Singh (1959). While initially Kartar is shown as a rogue, he has a change of heart after the Muslim protagonist Umerdeen saves his life. 

Sikhs were generally shown as ill-mannered drunkards in many films, often without their turbans. Some other films with Sikh characters include Gabroo Putt Punjab De (1969), Balwant Kaur (1975), Chan Veryam (1981), Gernail Singh (1989) and so on. In Veryam (1981) they show the Muslim protagonist saving a Sikh girl from the British while all the Sikhs of the village failed to defend her (including the 'gyani'). Later she runs away to his house and converts to Islam. When her brother finds out and goes after her she gives him a whole speech of seeing the 'light' and inviting him to leave Sikhi as well, a rather demeaning scene that can be seen from 1:47:00 onwards here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XfkiHQViLc.

One can't fail but see the constant subconscious need to show Sikh women converting to Islam, be it the films like Veryam (1981) & Larki Punjaban (2003, with a 'twist' in the end to please Sikhs) or TV Drama Bilqees Kaur (2012). Besides that the clear attempts to show the Hindus as scheming villain creating problems between Sikhs and Muslims is also seen in their films.

You have to give them credit where its due though, they made a drama on the dark periods of fake police encounters in Indian Punjab. It is called Kesri Painday. A young Pakistani Sikh was also part of the cast.

Edited by HarfunMaula

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

See I wrote the same thing and my thread was branded as a trolling thread 😐😡

Here is my thread that got banned!!!

 

one of my Pakistani friends told me about this show and I’ve been watching it from episode 1.. it’s about a Pakistani guy who is desperate to go uk.. he is married to his cousin and eventually after many obstacles reaches uk by illegal way...

he starts working at a restaurant that is run by a sardar ji who is also a drug dealer!

its from episode 19 that I got ticked off.. there showing how sikh girls are flaunting themselves at Pakistani guys and bringing them under there spell!!

the next episode is on today, it’s uploaded already on YouTube already haven’t watched it yet...

the  characters name is Preet she is shown as promiscuous and alcoholic person who is desperately after this Pakistani guy even when she is aware he is illegal and married and has one child!! She is shown as a divorced and lonely widowed soul who has no family or real friends and she is just aimlessly sleeping around with guys and drinking booze!

The drama is basically trying to show that Sikh girls are not getting groomed but throwing themselves into such situations...

they are showing the girl as overly infatuated by this Pakistani guy and she is just dying to marry him!!

here is the link watch form episode 19... first 5 mins and then last few scenes are the most annoying...

 https://youtu.be/_W4QzX92osU

The drama name is “daldal” episode 19

Edited by preetirani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HarfunMaula said:

I wrote this after being on the other topic that was made regarding the negative portrayal of a Sikh woman in a Pakistani drama. Here are some of my observations over the years:

The portrayal of Sikhs in Pakistani cinema ranges from the sometimes positive to the rather often negative end of the spectrum. One of the first films to be a big hit in Pakistan was based on a fictional Sikh character during the times of partition: Kartar Singh (1959). While initially Kartar is shown as a rogue, he has a change of heart after the Muslim protagonist Umerdeen saves his life. 

Sikhs were generally shown as ill-mannered drunkards in many films, often without their turbans. Some other films with Sikh characters include Gabroo Putt Punjab De (1969), Balwant Kaur (1975), Chan Veryam (1981), Gernail Singh (1989) and so on. In Veryam (1981) they show the Muslim protagonist saving a Sikh girl from the British while all the Sikhs of the village failed to defend her (including the 'gyani'). Later she runs away to his house and converts to Islam. When her brother finds out and goes after her she gives him a whole speech of seeing the 'light' and inviting him to leave Sikhi as well, a rather demeaning scene that can be seen from 1:47:00 onwards here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XfkiHQViLc.

One can't fail but see the constant subconscious need to show Sikh women converting to Islam, be it the films like Veryam (1981) & Larki Punjaban (2003, with a 'twist' in the end to please Sikhs) or TV Drama Bilqees Kaur (2012). Besides that the clear attempts to show the Hindus as scheming villain creating problems between Sikhs and Muslims is also seen in their films.

You have to give them credit where its due though, they made a drama on the dark periods of fake police encounters in Indian Punjab. It is called Kesri Painday. A young Pakistani Sikh was also part of the cast.

Hmm you have lots of knowledge of this issue, I thought it was a new thing! I was aware that Hindus protray us as alcoholics or joker type people but wasn’t aware of this type of media from Pakistani community... maybe cause I don’t watch there media...

does make you wonder what is the purpose/ agenda to such media...??

what exactly is the message they want to get across with such dramas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inferiority complex, in one of their films they were saying Sikhs are the bravest 'qaum'  and only ones who can compete with Muslims - don't remember the title, it was set in the British India times. 

Besides that just religious extremism whereby they want others to convert to Islam. They always try it in one way or another,  I've seen quite a few Pakistanis claiming their ancestors embraced Islam by leaving Sikhi and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HarfunMaula said:

Inferiority complex, in one of their films they were saying Sikhs are the bravest 'qaum'  and only ones who can compete with Muslims - don't remember the title, it was set in the British India times. 

Besides that just religious extremism whereby they want others to convert to Islam. They always try it in one way or another,  I've seen quite a few Pakistanis claiming their ancestors embraced Islam by leaving Sikhi and so on.

yep I have had that experience and I've said not true else you would not have your goth attached to your name ...you are progeny of hindus who lie to save face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 12/28/2017 at 7:57 PM, HarfunMaula said:

Inferiority complex, in one of their films they were saying Sikhs are the bravest 'qaum'  and only ones who can compete with Muslims - don't remember the title, it was set in the British India times. 

Besides that just religious extremism whereby they want others to convert to Islam. They always try it in one way or another,  I've seen quite a few Pakistanis claiming their ancestors embraced Islam by leaving Sikhi and so on.

I'm pretty sure some Sikhs who were rich land and shop owners did convert to Islam rather than leave their rich lands when partition happened in 1947. Those were the weak Sikhs that had no love for sikhi the patiaila captain amrinder and badal family types who would sell their own mothers than face the enemies of Sikhi head on.

The weakness is not with pakistani muslims.....the weakness is with our kaum not creating media propaganda of muslims converting to Sikhi or teaching our youth and people we must convert others to Sikhi in order to be saved in the next life. We are in s state of wishy washy denial not helped by the manhat freemasons running SGPC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, superkaur said:

 

I'm pretty sure some Sikhs who were rich land and shop owners did convert to Islam rather than leave their rich lands when partition happened in 1947. Those were the weak Sikhs that had no love for sikhi the patiaila captain amrinder and badal family types who would sell their own mothers than face the enemies of Sikhi head on.

The weakness is not with pakistani muslims.....the weakness is with our kaum not creating media propaganda of muslims converting to Sikhi or teaching our youth and people we must convert others to Sikhi in order to be saved in the next life. We are in s state of wishy washy denial not helped by the manhat freemasons running SGPC.

You might be surprised to learn that it were the poorest who left Sikhi during partition and stayed back in Pakistan. And their religion of choice was not Islam but Christianity. No doubt some did convert to Islam, just like a few especially poor Muslims became Sardars overnight in our Punjab.

There was a Pakistani Punjabi author named Afzal Ahsan Randhawa, he claimed to be a descendant of Baba Buddha. He wrote an emotional Punjabi poem after Blue Star on his agony after hearing the news.

Anyways my point was about the Pakistanis falsely claiming their ancestors were Sikh as a dawah tactic which I've seen quite often.

Agree with your second paragraph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Sidh Gohst is a Sikh Prayer... (i hope u weren't being sarcastic)? Prayer came about when Guru Nanak Ji had an assembly (gohst) with Sidhs, hence the name Sidh Gohst. The prayer is like a Q&A session where Sidhs ask n Guru Ji answers... NOW! Who been telling me to stick t learning about Sidh Gohst?? 😔
    • Get a normal bike n ride it. Road bike u can go far n fast so it's advantageous. Second bike type, ideal for short distant travelling n cycle at own leisure... Totally forgot wha the types called though I own one. Not mountain bike something else.
    • Is that Harpreet's mugshot? Lol! We need to understand y they committed a crime. Obviously for money but what lead them? For their age appears they had a hard life or "hard" life (depends how u look at it) and thas it! They understood the phenomenon of dog eat dog world. So they took a drastic step and failed... Of course they could've succeeded.
    • and also, as your next post alludes to, naamdharis also take khanday dee pahul, and actually most of them do compared to "us" mainstream sikhs. naamdharis are also much closer to rehit than some of these jathabandis we have now corrupt the panth since colonial times. However naamdharis are missing the kshatriya rehit of khalsa, ie the warrior maryada. I think a lot of "sikh" children would easily get influenced by christian schools due to lack of sikhi knowledge, and this includes those who go to these schools in India as well Yes, Khalsa sikhs used to learn from other sikh sampradaiye as well when it came to spiritual gyaan and sikhi knowledge. Obviously for learning there are no strict rules, however other rules are different for khalsa sikhs as they need to follow the military rules as well compared to sehajdhari "civilian" sikhs. And this is funny, but would learning from a harmonium teacher harm your sikhi, as it takes you away from learning sikh/Gurus' instruments? I would find it harmful for someone to teach that crazy keertan which plays at many rehnsbhais, 🤣😂
    • I have been reading some the posts over the last week and all I have seen is the constant squabbling and negative judgemental attitude towards each other.   Whether we like like it or not we are a community made up of people from all walks of lives.  Our temperaments are different, some hot and some cold.  Some of us want to do things for now and some for longer term goals.  Some want to take a militant approach and some diplomatic.  This is not unique to us this has been the case for all communities trying achieve goals in a struggle.  Malcom X’s ideology was different from Martin Luther Kings but ultimately the goal was the same.  Bhagat Singhs ideology was different from the All India Congress but the goal was ultimately the same.  Nelson Mandela was hot blooded when he was young but later switched to more diplomatic solutions for South Africa.  The same can be observed from figures throughout all of history and never has everyone collectively agreed upon one single method of achieving community goals.   Just pick the organisations, groups and temperaments that you feel you can gel with and quit the bashing of each other.  I’m sure by doing we would be more united, be more powerful and achieve so much more than ultimately searching for the one miracle pill to solve our issues. 
×

Important Information

Terms of Use