Kirpan

Guest Kaur

Hi. So I am going to Paris as a school trip on a ferry and I wanted to know if i was allowed to wear my kirpan or even just keep it in my bag?? Please could someone answer this as I am very worried. 

11 hours ago, Guest Kaur said:

Hi. So I am going to Paris as a school trip on a ferry and I wanted to know if i was allowed to wear my kirpan or even just keep it in my bag?? Please could someone answer this as I am very worried. 

normally your bag will be searched maximum  but there is not a body scan or search as such ... been on ferries to and from continent from dover and harwich no hassles.

However if you were going on Eurostar it will be just as thorough as airport

8 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

normally your bag will be searched maximum  but there is not a body scan or search as such ... been on ferries to and from continent from dover and harwich no hassles.

There a checked luggage option that might be less restrictive than carry-on, worst case scenario?  I'm sure you'd rather keep it on you, but...

2 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

There a checked luggage option that might be less restrictive than carry-on, worst case scenario?  I'm sure you'd rather keep it on you, but...

normally kids travel on coaches/ minibuses so it'll be like I said they may check bags only before boarding but when travelling in our vehicles even that was not done .

3 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I've not traveled Europe at all.  All I have to compare it to is airport like security.  The Eurostar, whatever that is, being more like an airport-like security just got me thinking he might be able to check it if not carry it.  But I fully bow to your expertise.

If you don't go through metal detectors just wear it maybe.

problem with EuroStar (train through Channel Tunnel) is there is no checked luggage type options so ALL bags are checked via Xray scanners and body has to go through metal detector and then probably patdown.

14 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

You can carry kirpan on Eurostar. There has been a refusal in the past (due to a new member of staff or something) but Eurostar do allow it and have confirmed so.

Eurostar policy on Kirpan 

Eurostar Train policy

Letter from Richard Brown, Eurostar Chief Executive Officer (10-07-2006):

“Our security arrangements at Eurostar are in effect determined by Transec, the Transport Security Division of the Department for Transport, under the Channel Tunnel Security Order. They are very similar to the arrangements in place at airports for the airline passengers.

In practice, therefore, our response will depend on the size of the Kirpan being carried, which do of course vary in size very considerably. In general any blade of three inches’ length or less is now permitted to by carried by passengers – provided this is not a flick knife or lock knife. Any longer than this, and a passenger is not allowed to carry the blade on them personally – but they can of course consign the item to registered luggage so that it is carried in a separate, locked compartment on the train. This would apply to a sword-length Kirpan, for instance.

My understanding is that many Kirpans are quite small.”

On 16/01/2018 at 9:53 PM, Guest Kaur said:

You should speak to your school. Find out who the ferry company is, speak to them directly. Try have it in writing incase there is an issue. Paris is a beautiful place. Horrible people. I'm sure you'll love it if you're into your art, architecture and fashion.