Vanilla essence/extract contains alcohol

Guest Guest Kaur

Guest Jagsaw_Singh

You are made of meat? What does that prove? That it's okay to eat meat? 

The logic some people have is ridiculous.

No 'Guest Sandy' it is toy who are ridiculous. Let's take two things that our Guru's taught us:

1) Don't follow rituals blindly

2) Don't take intoxicants

You know full well that the alcohol in the vanilla extract...just like the alcohol being made in your stomach right now....is non-intoxicating....and yet you've still decided to follow a ritual blindly. The fact that you've remained blind despite our forefathers leaving the darkness of following rituals without giving thought behind many centuries ago is what is 'ridiculous'.

I talked about going 'full-circle' yesterday in another thread and what this thread proves is that our new young generation are so un-padh and incapable of intelligent reasoning they have gone full-circle back to the days of blind non-thought that our forefathers left behind when they left Hinduism. The simple fact is this:  Alcohol is prohibited in Sikhi not because our Guru's didn't like the letters 'a' 'l' and 'c' being in the same word but because they understood how it's fermented version creates an intoxicant that is harmful to both mind and spirit which then leads to destructive behaviour. 

Quick question :  The non-intoxicating alcohol that is in vanilla extract is also right now at this very point in time in your stomach, as your gut produces it naturally.

So...talking about 'ridiculous logic'...if it's already in your stomach how can it be forbidden to 'put it into' your stomach ?   Do you think there is something in Sikhi that distinguishes ' already in' with 'will be in' ?

9 hours ago, Guest sandy said:

Don't use vanilla extract. Don't take anything with alcohol no matter how small even if it is for an apparent good cause.

If 'medicine' had a small amount of meat in it would you eat it? 

You are made of meat? What does that prove? That it's okay to eat meat? 

The logic some people have is ridiculous.

Please be strong and just give up the products with alcohol in. No controversy. Simple solution. 

vaccines have beef, chicken ,monkey even fetal proteins in them , I don't see any gursikhs refusing them ....maybe not aware but more likely not deep thinking ...

frankly we cannot avoid ethanol because we produce it in our guts too ... and fruits when overripe start the same process ...we are not brahmins  crying over minute things , we are supposed to keep suchum of food too but as Guru ji has said we are always eating something that is 'impure' . There is a huge difference between avoiding  what we can and drinking the forbidden ... yes avoid it but many many things are fixed/extracted  with ethanol which may not be labelled fully does this make sikhs patit ?

Where is the proof that it all evaporates? 

For the ethanol to completely combust it needs heat and constant oxygen exposure. Since the ethanol is in food/liquid and as you don't heat up food/liquid until nothing remains,  it will never completely evaporate like you claim. 

Don't make your flawed opinion sound like it is an undeniable fact.

Your welcome!

I know all about vaccines, there is much more than what you say and many people are clued up and avoid them. Since you are oblivious to such people that does not validate your argument in any respect.

Secondly, you say ethanol cannot be avoided since our guts produce it. Okay then, since out GI tract produces faecal matter, is it also acceptable to consume that? Judging by your arguments it seems you already do!

You are suggesting it is somehow inevitable that we consume alcohol which is a complete fallacy and are indoctrinating people to become as lazy as yourself. If want to consume alcohol, no matter how minute then go ahead, but do not advise other to follow suit.

Thank you.

To the OP, don't get drawn into these futile arguments. They are not worth the time of day and are just a means to justify some people's deep-seated delusions. Just know that you can avoid the alcohol if you make some effort to do so. Have a nice day. :))

I think there is truth to both sides being presented. If you choose to avoid vanilla extract you'd want to study the formation/production process of many foods and their additives. Alcohol for sure is a factor in many things. 

Like jagsaw pointed out just in a negligible way. 

Tea is technically a drug too, you can totally drink enough to feel different and you can die of caffeine overdose. However within reason it's clearly okay. 

Tiramisu is an example of a desert where alcohol remains. Vanilla cookies baked at 350 for however many minutes is not. 

Like I said though, you want to avoid anything that even touched alcohol cool, just go the distance and be thorough. 

Edit: skin is a membrane so hand sani out, isopropyl out. Basically all soaps, lotions perfumes out. 

On 08/02/2018 at 10:05 AM, Guest sandy said:

I know all about vaccines, there is much more than what you say and many people are clued up and avoid them. Since you are oblivious to such people that does not validate your argument in any respect.

Secondly, you say ethanol cannot be avoided since our guts produce it. Okay then, since out GI tract produces faecal matter, is it also acceptable to consume that? Judging by your arguments it seems you already do!

You are suggesting it is somehow inevitable that we consume alcohol which is a complete fallacy and are indoctrinating people to become as lazy as yourself. If want to consume alcohol, no matter how minute then go ahead, but do not advise other to follow suit.

Thank you.

funny bro, I am aware of people who avoid vax and I am one of them ... just observation of general attitude of apnay that all injections are necessary and good...because the doc says.

If you actually read properly I had suggested two methods to avoid alcohol and unknown chems to the OP  , in fact since I knew pods have a limited shelflife and could go mouldy I suggested the dry powdered one. 

When you use hand sanitiser you absorb the alcohol in it through your skin that's why doctors are advising to stop its use for young children , same with perfumes , skin products etc  there are ways in which you could consume without realising and labelling laws also are lax enough for it to be omitted in some ingredient lists . There is no lie to what I said  but most people don't think that way , if you are bibeki then it would be a major concern and so you should consider it . However I would never go to the extent of saying someone was patit because accidental consumption like this .

I don't use those things but I understand that humans are not all the same  and many do take such stuff knowingly and others still do use such products unaware of their effects . It is not as if they are doing it on purpose thus the reason to tell them not to freak out . We are always making mistakes ....and Guru ji is always there to ask for help when we do .

3 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I think there is truth to both sides being presented. If you choose to avoid vanilla extract you'd want to study the formation/production process of many foods and their additives. Alcohol for sure is a factor in many things. 

Like jagsaw pointed out just in a negligible way. 

Tea is technically a drug too, you can totally drink enough to feel different and you can die of caffeine overdose. However within reason it's clearly okay. 

Tiramisu is an example of a desert where alcohol remains. Vanilla cookies baked at 350 for however many minutes is not. 

Like I said though, you want to avoid anything that even touched alcohol cool, just go the distance and be thorough. 

Edit: skin is a membrane so hand sani out, isopropyl out. Basically all soaps, lotions perfumes out. 

I appreciate where your coming from but you can easily avoid alcohol even in the products you mention. There are many soaps like pure greek olive oil soap that just contain sodium olivate,water,salt. No chemicals/alcohols whatsoever. For skin instead of lotion I use sesame oil (no dry skin ever) and for deodorant/perfume i squeeze a lime and apply the juice under armpits, it works great, no body odour even at end of the day!!! If you want something on top of this,  get a spray bottle fill it with rose water/essential oils and use that to smell nice too. But from experience, using chemical products and eating junk causes a lot of toxins to build up in the body which is released in sweat, making really foul body odour. I used to have to spray tonnes of deodorant but that only masks the problem. When i used  natural products and ate a raw organic diet the body odour gradually disappeared. 

You'll be surprised by how little we actually need the commercial products that are sold to us. We are trained to believe that we can't survive without them but I've done away with the lot of them. I always ask what did we use in old times for x,y,z. Nature has the answers. Everything is already provided for us. :))

23 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

funny bro, I am aware of people who avoid vax and I am one of them ... just observation of general attitude of apnay that all injections are necessary and good...because the doc says.

If you actually read properly I had suggested two methods to avoid alcohol and unknown chems to the OP  , in fact since I knew pods have a limited shelflife and could go mouldy I suggested the dry powdered one. 

When you use hand sanitiser you absorb the alcohol in it through your skin that's why doctors are advising to stop its use for young children , same with perfumes , skin products etc  there are ways in which you could consume without realising and labelling laws also are lax enough for it to be omitted in some ingredient lists . There is no lie to what I said  but most people don't think that way , if you are bibeki then it would be a major concern and so you should consider it . However I would never go to the extent of saying someone was patit because accidental consumption like this .

I don't use those things but I understand that humans are not all the same  and many do take such stuff knowingly and others still do use such products unaware of their effects . It is not as if they are doing it on purpose thus the reason to tell them not to freak out . We are always making mistakes ....and Guru ji is always there to ask for help when we do .

Thanks for clarifying.

I didn't mean to argue with you, I don't like conflict and do my best to avoid it. Forgive me. Maybe i misunderstood you or took it the wrong way.

I actually like most of stuff you write on this website and for the most part i think you'd be surprised how much we are alike in our views. You seem to be clued up on most things unlike a lot of people i meet. 

We should speak directly since there are a lot of ways we can help others. 

You might actually know me or have seen me since i'm from around your area. (shock horror!)

Guest Jagsaw_Singh
4 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Tea is technically a drug too,

you can totally drink enough to feel different

and you can die of caffeine overdose.

Tiramisu is an example of a desert where alcohol remains.

Vanilla cookies baked at 350 for however many minutes is not. 

:) I've got some more to add to Gurjant Gnostic's magic informative list of the bleeding obvious:

1) Night comes after day...Although sometimes day comes after night. Sometimes both.

2) Water boiled at a high temperature will get really hot. Hot water can be harmful...especially if poured over someone's head.

3) The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. But a son is something very different and not just because it contains the letter 'o'. It's because it's a male boy.

4) When a boy grows up he becomes a man. Unless he decides to undergo a gender re-assignment operation and become a girl.

5) Bananas are a fruit but should never be confused with lettuces, which are not. A chair is another thing that is not a fruit.

6) 6 comes after 5 in a list. Unless the list is a countdown in which case it will be 4 that follows 5.