Brothers charged with unlawful behaviour at Leamington Gurdwara cleared

InderjitS

On 2/12/2018 at 10:20 AM, Sukhvirk1976 said:

Shameless.. These guys in court lied under oath on ghutka and you guys are praising them! Disgraceful 

Do you know that they took an oath on a gutka? If you would spend more time in Sikh circles, you'd know that Sikhs (other than Capt. Amrinder SIngh) don't take oaths on gutkas.

8 hours ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:

They should be ashamed of themselves

Are you the same person who said in the thread about Jagmeet SIngh's fiancee:

On 2/12/2018 at 8:38 AM, Sukhvirk1976 said:

Seriously! How and what right do you have to label her patit! 

It's OK for you to call them shameful, but @jkvlondon can't call her patit?

So it's OK for you to condemn someone, but not OK for someone else to do so?

13 hours ago, BhForce said:

Do you know that they took an oath on a gutka? If you would spend more time in Sikh circles, you'd know that Sikhs (other than Capt. Amrinder SIngh) don't take oaths on gutkas.

Well usually in British courts a ghutka is used.. To be fair even if they didn't take a oath on anything the fact that the just outright lied is bad enough.. Why couldn't they just tell the truth and face the music.. If they had conviction in what they believe 

13 hours ago, BhForce said:

Calling someone shameful and someone a apostate are totally different things.. I love how your relativism helps you justify their actions.. I guess you think its OK to just lie 

MOD note- Please contain your replies to one post, it isn't hard.

17 hours ago, Cisco_Singh said:

I wouldnt bother taking this Sukhvirk characteer seriously he's a bit of a troll , I'm pretty sure it's the same guy who trolls on various facebook groups as well .. recently he was trying to argue that "baba vishvakarma ceromonies and pooja " should be allowed in Gurdwaras and are not contradictory to Sikhi...in resoponse to the Leeds Ramgarhia Board issue, also seen him advocating support for sham anand karajs and other anti Sikh behaviour... Wouldnt actually be surprised if this guy wasnt even a Sikh...

Anything's possible, but I think he is a Sikh, because you must surely know that there are plenty of people like @Sukhvirk1976 in our community. Although I recognize it can be tedious explaining Sikhi to him, I think it is worth it because most of the people that come to this forum don't log in and post. They are the casual Sikhs, and they harbor many of the same misconceptions as Sukhvirk. 

So think of your answering Sukhvirk as answering the doubts of those lurkers.

Guest GuestSingh
3 hours ago, N30S1NGH said:

Good, it shouldn't have been dealt in courts to begin with. Singhs who are taking Panj pyares role should've been involved in this whole fiasco, this is where leadership is failing squarely.

In fact no youths should've been involved in the protest during interfaith marriage as its broader panthic issue where leaders need to be get involved work out solution case by case basis. There are so many scenarios where youths are protesting and blocking failing to provide any kind of adequate solution or accommodation and try to enforce it with intimidation- leaving family with no choice to call authorities.

Singhs taking role of panj pyares should take leadership role little more seriously. I am sorry panj pyares role is not part time job, they are supposed to deal with issues in the community. They should be further honored, listen to, paid to do full time duties so they can concentrate on their role full time leave their jobs aside.

When is the last time you heard police are called in churches in west to deal with internal disputes?  Almost never heard of, because pastors get honored, get paid and do their job full time.

The Panj Pyare should've been there but the fact is that those youth prevented disrespect of Guru ji. No-one else intervened.

'Intimidation' is just an excuse these committees use when their greed isn't or hasn't been fulfilled from protests like this - quite sure they would've faced much worse growing up. The same excuse goes for families who see big youth standing in front of them and assume they're thugs. They phone the police in frustration/anger to get rid of the youth but this undermines our community name and gives western media a day of fun. Unfortunately for the elders, this made headlines and expedited reform in some places. Youth like this are taking a risk (careers etc.) but it makes a difference.

Agree with you on full-time Panj Pyare - the problem is how many of us love Guru ji enough to leave well-paid careers/lifestyles to help our own people?

Regarding churches in the west, many don't even exist in the UK so no need to phone the police as hardly anyone is there.

1 hour ago, GuestSingh said:

The Panj Pyare should've been there but the fact is that those youth prevented disrespect of Guru ji. No-one else intervened.

'Intimidation' is just an excuse these committees use when their greed isn't or hasn't been fulfilled from protests like this - quite sure they would've faced much worse growing up. The same excuse goes for families who see big youth standing in front of them and assume they're thugs. They phone the police in frustration/anger to get rid of the youth but this undermines our community name and gives western media a day of fun. Unfortunately for the elders, this made headlines and expedited reform in some places. Youth like this are taking a risk (careers etc.) but it makes a difference.

Agree with you on full-time Panj Pyare - the problem is how many of us love Guru ji enough to leave well-paid careers/lifestyles to help our own people?

Regarding churches in the west, many don't even exist in the UK so no need to phone the police as hardly anyone is there.

Apparently by their own submission they weren't there to prevent the wedding.. 

I think shutting the gurdwara down and preventing access was a far greater beadbi 

11 hours ago, Sukhvirk1976 said:
22 hours ago, BhForce said:

Calling someone shameful and someone a apostate are totally different things.. I love how your relativism helps you justify their actions.. I guess you think its OK to just lie 

Yes, they are different things, but they are both in the same category of condemning someone. You are unable to see this, because in your mind, it's bad to be strict in Sikhi, so therefore it's OK for you condemn the Singhs who are strict in Sikhi. On the other hand, @jkvlondon and others don't have the right to condemn someone for being lax in Sikhi because in your mind, it only works one way: lax can condemn the strict, but not vice versa.

I did not get into the specific matter of whether they lied or what they did at the Gurdwara was good or not. I am merely commented on the fact that you condemned them while at the same time crying out when someone condemned Jagmeet Singh.

2 hours ago, BhForce said:

Yes, they are different things, but they are both in the same category of condemning someone. You are unable to see this, because in your mind, it's bad to be strict in Sikhi, so therefore it's OK for you condemn the Singhs who are strict in Sikhi. On the other hand, @jkvlondon and others don't have the right to condemn someone for being lax in Sikhi because in your mind, it only works one way: lax can condemn the strict, but not vice versa.

I did not get into the specific matter of whether they lied or what they did at the Gurdwara was good or not. I am merely commented on the fact that you condemned them while at the same time crying out when someone condemned Jagmeet Singh.

Do me a favour.. 

I love the way you have just skirted around the whole issue.. I said there behaviour was shameless.. I could very easily have said that there actions made them patit.. But I didn't.. When I called out @jkvlondon my objection was quite clearly as to what gives her the right to in effect excommunicate someone from the panth.

Who am I to measure or anyone on here for that matter to label someone like that.. If @jkvlondon had phrased it "in my opinion" I would have been less likely to have questioned it. 

In my opinion their behaviour was shameless, to beat the case they lied.. What does it say about how deep their beliefs run since they disowned them.. Tomorrow morning they may say we not even sikh to beat the charges 

To get back to the point do you think a sikh who has the conviction to make such a stand and then deny it  should be celebrated? 

Don't you think that acting in the gurus name is a serious step and to deny it is a illustration of how fickle their faith is? 

Please answer the question I'm interested to hear it 

Let me just say I would question and challenge anyone who called these two guys patit.. 

I'm was providing examples based on the measures used on this group.. 

I think you are right to pull me up on my terminology.. I was angry and incensed at the actions of these people.. I should have more restraint.. Also maybe I was being a provocateur. I get that you don't agree with my understanding of sikhi just as much as I don't get yours or many people's on here. 

But I believe I apply very strict rationale to my logic and if and when a rational logical argument is presented and not just nindya I listen.. But if as what usually happens on here people just come with lazy slanderous pejoratives then and I just folded and accepted their propositions because it was easier, then what kind of sikh would I be? I study hard, question my assumptions with rigour.. And I won't be bullied.. 

Believe me my motivations to be on this group and staying on it despite being clearly unwelcome are only because I love sikhi.. Not because I need my ego massaged, although I could try harder not to take the bait.. We all learning, each and every moment.. In fact I believe that it is through vigorous criticism that we learn.. Having sycophantic communication is easy.. It's when we are challenged that we learn.. Guru arjun dev ji taught us to welcome nindya 

So I'm here I can take it 

How do we know they lied?

They said they were protesting the use of funds, maybe they were...even if they were protesting the use of funds for a marriage. 

The criminal penalty was steep.  You really want them to go to prison for a long long time?

I hear people saying the sangat needs more sacrifice, maybe it does, but are those calling for it willing to do it themselves?

Maybe if they'd been charged with disturbing the peace they could just plead guilty , but they were up on serious charges totally misrepresented by police and media.