Sign in to follow this  
Dsinghdp

Sikhi in Malwa

The Malwa region of Punjab was blessed by Guru Gobind Singh. The following all originated from Malwa and spread Sikhi in the region:-

1) Rara Sahib

2) Nanaksar

3) Reru Sahib

4) Bhindran Jatha (Damdami Taksal)

5) Mastuana

6) Bhai Randhir Singh (Akhand Kirtani Jatha).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dsinghdp said:

The Malwa region of Punjab was blessed by Guru Gobind Singh. The following all originated from Malwa and spread Sikhi in the region:-

1) Rara Sahib

2) Nanaksar

3) Reru Sahib

5) Mastuana

How does Sikhi in Malwa currently compare with in Doaba and Majha? 

16 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

my nanake are malwai , and as far as I can see there is deep, gentle sharda in people's hearts but due to kalyugi problems people are leaving to protect their grandchildren's sikhi from bad influences as it is easier to be a pooran gursikh in the west than in India . Those who leave still maintain strong links with back in Punjab and support efforts to enrich the pind's sport facilities , education and dharamshala 'projects . However those who transplant to cities in punjab they turn into coconuts and party minded ...

4 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Sikhi in Doaba is weaker than in the other two regions, so I am told.

16 hours ago, Dsinghdp said:

1) Rara Sahib

2) Nanaksar

3) Reru Sahib

5) Mastuana

Yeah, and so was the rest of the Punjab blessed, even the portions in Pakistan. What's your point?

The Majha region of Punjab was blessed by the Gurus.

1) Nankana Sahib (did you happen to forget where it all started?)

2) Kartarpur Sahib

3) Goindwal Sahib

4) Khadoor Sahib

5) Darbar Sahib, Amritsar

6) Akal Takhat

7) Taran Taaran

8) Chiatta Sahib

9) Hargobindpur

10) Baba Bakala

The Doaba region of Punjab was blessed by the Gurus.

1) Sultanpur Lodhi

2) Kartarpur Sahib

3) Gurdwara Sri Sukhchainana Sahib, (Phagwara)

4) Rampur Khera (Sant Harnam Singh ji)

5) Harian Velan

8 hours ago, DailyMail said:

Could this be because a large minority (or even majority) of Doaba Sikhs have migrated abroad?n

On 2/16/2018 at 1:45 AM, DailyMail said:

Doaba was the Punjab stronghold of Naxalites (Communists), so that's one reason that Sikhi is weaker in Doaba. 

Also, Doaba Sikhs were the earliest to migrate from Punjab in large numbers, so Doaba was substantially affected by western values/way of life before the other regions of Punjab.

Sikhi is dying across Punjab, but its death is most visible in Doaba.  In Malwa, you will still see some young Sikhs wearing turbans.  It is largely meaningless in terms of religion, since the turbans are almost always accompanied by trimmed beards.  But at least you see the turbans and know that there is some Sikh presence.  In Doaba, almost all young sikhs are clean shaven and do not wear turbans.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:09 PM, Premi5 said:

I think Malwa gets more credit for keeping Sikhi alive than it deserves.  Malwa is bigger than Majha and Doaba combined (in both land and population).  So the contributions its people have made to Sikhi in recent times is a bit distorted (I say "recent times", because before 1947, Majha and Malwa were comparable in terms of land and Sikh population).  Malwa is so much bigger that it dominates.

It is notable that even though Majha has a much smaller population than Malwa, the vast majority of young Sikhs who took up arms in the 1980s were from Majha.

The Majha district (especially what is now Amritsar District and Tarn Taran District) have historically been the strongholds of Sikhi.  However, this region was the hardest hit during the dark times of the 1980s and 1990s, and it is perhaps the hardest hit today when it comes to the drug epidemic.  Sadly, the Sikh youth in Majha seem to have discarded their kesh, do not follow rehat, and have in many cases succumbed to drugs.

On 2/15/2018 at 8:25 PM, jkvlondon said:

my nanake are malwai , and as far as I can see there is deep, gentle sharda in people's hearts but due to kalyugi problems people are leaving to protect their grandchildren's sikhi from bad influences as it is easier to be a pooran gursikh in the west than in India .

I don't totally believe this. Yes leave the bad influences but most shastardhari rehit is still kept in India, and you will see the pooran gursikhs get together in Anandpur Sahib on Vaisakhi and Hola Mohalla.

Yes you can see them trying hard here in the west, and there are those who have kept full bana even with some shastars, but still something is missing from being all-rounder pooran gursikh compared to the ladliyaa faujan in India.

On 2/15/2018 at 7:49 PM, GurjantGnostic said:

I sense a salotar in your near future, heh

What is a salotar?

Is it like some inside joke? 

I saw so much of it on some older posts