Sikhi in Malwa

Dsinghd

3 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Doabans seem to think Malwens are loudmouths and quite coarse, haha. I don't know why we love to subdivide ourselves into continually smaller niche groups. Some don't take it seriously, but others are deadly serious.

It's just to make themselves feel better about themselves. 

I guess it is their accents. 

Here in the UK, some people find the Brummie accent quite grating and some people would think they are thick.

11 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

It's just to make themselves feel better about themselves. 

I guess it is their accents. 

Here in the UK, some people find the Brummie accent quite grating and some people would think they are thick.

I forgot about the issue about accents. Yes, you're right, that's part of it, too.

4 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I forgot about the issue about accents. Yes, you're right, that's part of it, too.

Punjab has quite a bit of variance. There probably will be some differences in temperament.

No different from parts of the UK and there are going to be stereotypes. 

We think of scousers as car thieves and we think of people in East Anglia as inbreds. 

Because we don't live in Punjab, we don't know all the intricacies.

tbh people from places like ludhiana, khana etc dnt sound different to people from doaba apart from a few words here and there   then again these places are not that far   amritsar dialect is quite different though     my thayee is from malwa and she says a few words different like for children instead of saying naiane  she says jwaak  lol    i thinks shes from ludhiana   

its funny when your traveling around there because once your outside of your region its as if your in another mans land lol!  the convo ends up becoming "look their zameen is like that"  "why have they grown their fasal like this"  "why is theres like that"   "oh look thats how they do this over here "   lol       

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/7/2020 at 8:12 AM, puzzled said:

tbh people from places like ludhiana, khana etc dnt sound different to people from doaba apart from a few words here and there   then again these places are not that far   amritsar dialect is quite different though     my thayee is from malwa and she says a few words different like for children instead of saying naiane  she says jwaak  lol    i thinks shes from ludhiana   

Ludhiana is an urban centre of Punjab so its a mixed bag of dialects too. Some areas of Ludhiana speak Punjabi which is closer to people of Doaba and some tehsils speak like people of Malwa. Malwa dialect of Ludhiana differs from the Malwai dialect of core Malwa region people. 

32 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

Ludhiana is an urban centre of Punjab so its a mixed bag of dialects too. Some areas of Ludhiana speak Punjabi which is closer to people of Doaba and some tehsils speak like people of Malwa. Malwa dialect of Ludhiana somewhat differs from the Malwai dialect of core Malwa region people. 

Yes, I think that's true. Also makes sense if Ludhiana is close to Doaba and is the major city of Panjab it would have mixed dialects. Many shehar wale came from Pakistan

And the further away from the city, the more dialect will be different

Your parents from Ludhiana ?

On 1/4/2022 at 9:20 PM, Premi5 said:

Yes, I think that's true. Also makes sense if Ludhiana is close to Doaba and is the major city of Panjab it would have mixed dialects. Many shehar wale came from Pakistan

And the further away from the city, the more dialect will be different

Your parents from Ludhiana ?

I'm from core Malwa region not Ludhiana.