Number of young dastar-wearing Sikh women compared to number of young dastar-wearing (non-trimming) Sikh men

3 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

Among older women, wearing a dastar appears to be more rare, and my guess is that most amritdhari women who are 50+ years of age do not wear dastars.

Historically speaking, Sikh women would very rarely wear a Dastaar, and about 150 to 200 years ago, Sikh women would also rarely by initiated using the Khand Di Phaul ceremony. Sikh women would historcualy tie a top knot, and cover it with a chunni. Some would wear a patka type of material. The key here is that Sikh women would almost allways cover their hair, especially in Public. The Dastaar was very popular for most Sikh men, and seen as a requirement for Singhs, those Sikh men who are initiated into the Khalsa Panth. Just notice the different standards for genders here. 

It seems that the rise of the dastaar for Sikh women is a recent phenomenon of women wanting to identity more with their Sikh roots, especially in the west I have noticed. The dastaar for women is also something thats really popular among the sect of the Khalsa Panth called the "AKJ", who generally believe that both genders should wear it, and even have a Keski as a Kakar. 

I studied in India for about 5-6 years, and almost never saw a Dastaar wearing Sikh women, or even Kaur. However in Canada, they are all over the place. I just recently came back from Punjab, and honestly, not much has changed, and you cant tell a Kaur apart from your average Hindu. The Kaurs, especially in India, dont have as strong as an identity as Singhs do. They dont even wear the same top knot style that Sikh women historically did. 

2 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

Actions and appearance define the name gifted to us from Guru pita ji - one without the other just doesn't work.

No one here, including myself, is advocating that external identity by itself without proper actions will work. Im literally just stating my observations. 

It is a stereotype and a lie as it follows the same one for men and Singh.

Its not a stereotype or a lie, its my observation as I clearly said at the top of my comment. 

As for Singhs, its obvious that 99% of Singhs regularly wear the Dastaar, whole the same cannot be said for Kaurs. 

My argument was never that every single Sikh man or Women wears a dastaar as a "fact", my observation was that out of Sikh women who wear a Dastaar, almost all of them happen to be initiated into the Khalsa Panth, this isnt the same as saying that out of those who are initiated almost all wear dastaars. 

You need to learn how to read and contemplate what other people are saying before you accuse others of stereotyping or lying. 

Guest GuestSingh
26 minutes ago, TheeTurbanator said:

No one here, including myself, is advocating that external identity by itself without proper actions will work. Im literally just stating my observations.

Its not a stereotype or a lie, its my observation as I clearly said at the top of my comment. 

As for Singhs, its obvious that 99% of Singhs regularly wear the Dastaar, whole the same cannot be said for Kaurs. 

My argument was never that every single Sikh man or Women wears a dastaar as a "fact", my observation was that out of Sikh women who wear a Dastaar, almost all of them happen to be initiated into the Khalsa Panth, this isnt the same as saying that out of those who are initiated almost all wear dastaars. 

You need to learn how to read and contemplate what other people are saying before you accuse others of stereotyping or lying. 

My post only disagreed with the last sentence, which was highlighted in bold and quoted by another poster. Open your eyes and read them again.

5 hours ago, TheeTurbanator said:

Those women who do wear Dastaars, are always Kaur’s

You can't call a woman a princess by what she wears on her head - look at their actions too. The same goes for men and Singhs.

Many who decide to practice Sikhi will have a dark past, therefore these gifts will continue to lose their meaning.

Panjabi culture is the main reason for this but there other external causes i.e. muslim grooming, hindu extremists and whitey colonial arrogance. These continue to attack Sikhi today by changing mindsets that lead us away from Guru ji. It's a faceless war that our community are unable to understand let alone contain.

1 minute ago, GuestSingh said:

You can't call a woman a princess by what she wears on her head - look at their actions too.

Again, no one is making that argument. You are literally taking my statement out of context and creating a strawman fallacy. If you properly read my original comment, I had already defined a "Kaur" by the action of receiving Khand Di Phaul, NOT by "what she wears on her head", this by itself is already enough to dispel your stupid strawman argument. 

Oh and by the way, "Kaur" doesn't mean princess, it means next in line for the thrown, its a gender neutral term, and there has been a Khalsa by the name of Akali Kaur Singh who used Kaur in his name, is he a princess too? 

6 minutes ago, GuestSingh said:

My post only disagreed with the last sentence, which was highlighted in bold and quoted by another poster. Open your eyes and read them again.

7 hours ago, TheeTurbanator said:

You, and her both took that statement out of context, and dont understand the meaning behind it. I was specifically reffering to my personal observation that I have seen where those who Sikh women who do wear a Dastaar happen to allways be initiated. It cant be a stereotype or a lie becuase its my personal observation, im not stating its a fact that holds true for every single area around the world. 

You and her are both so disingenuous and are fighting over a strawman fallacy you created in your own minds. You dont have a valid argument so you have to deliberately change and misrepresent what the other person is saying to attack them. Im done wasting my time with you people.