Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sikh

Removing kirpan on airport and singapore MRT

Recommended Posts

Guest Sikh

WJKKWJKF,

I am an Amritdhari Sikh. As a part of work, I have to visit Singapore for four days  ( might be posted permanently there ). Currently, I live in India.

It is becoming really very hard to convince about removing kirpan for traveling.

For the flight, I have heard that we can check-in our kirpan in the luggage and take it on an international flight. People suggest to perform Ardas and wear it on reaching the destination.

However, I found that kirpan is also not allowed on Singapore MRT ( mass rapid transportation). So even if I take it on the flight, I won't be able to take it further through MRT. It is becoming really hard for me to digest living without kirpan as I might be posted to Singapore permanently next month. 

Source: https://www.quora.com/Is-kirpan-allowed-in-Singapore-MRT.

Can somebody please suggest how should I cope up with such situation? I have to travel next week.

How do Amritdhari Sikhs in Singapore manage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Guest Sikh said:

WJKKWJKF,

I am an Amritdhari Sikh. As a part of work, I have to visit Singapore for four days  ( might be posted permanently there ). Currently, I live in India.

It is becoming really very hard to convince about removing kirpan for traveling.

For the flight, I have heard that we can check-in our kirpan in the luggage and take it on an international flight. People suggest to perform Ardas and wear it on reaching the destination.

However, I found that kirpan is also not allowed on Singapore MRT ( mass rapid transportation). So even if I take it on the flight, I won't be able to take it further through MRT. It is becoming really hard for me to digest living without kirpan as I might be posted to Singapore permanently next month. 

Source: https://www.quora.com/Is-kirpan-allowed-in-Singapore-MRT.

Can somebody please suggest how should I cope up with such situation? I have to travel next week.

How do Amritdhari Sikhs in Singapore manage?

why don't you contact them at the gurdwara there ?

something I foound

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/111068/is-kirpan-allowed-in-singapore-mrt

Edited by jkvlondon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://sikhadvisoryboard.org/index.php/security-guidelines-on-the-kirpan/

The Sikhs of Singapore have put forth the above guidance after consulting with Singapore authorities. 

Singaporeans know about Sikhs, and respect them. But to keep order in their society, they ban weapons. For Sikhs, the authorities acknowledge the kirpan, but don't want the general population getting the wrong idea.

Basically, Sikhs can wear kirpan, but don't flash it. Just keep it hidden, and you will be fine. 
Also, keep it small. Out of sight, out of mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Mahakaal96
4 hours ago, Guest Sikh said:

WJKKWJKF,

I am an Amritdhari Sikh. As a part of work, I have to visit Singapore for four days  ( might be posted permanently there ). Currently, I live in India.

It is becoming really very hard to convince about removing kirpan for traveling.

For the flight, I have heard that we can check-in our kirpan in the luggage and take it on an international flight. People suggest to perform Ardas and wear it on reaching the destination.

However, I found that kirpan is also not allowed on Singapore MRT ( mass rapid transportation). So even if I take it on the flight, I won't be able to take it further through MRT. It is becoming really hard for me to digest living without kirpan as I might be posted to Singapore permanently next month. 

Source: https://www.quora.com/Is-kirpan-allowed-in-Singapore-MRT.

Can somebody please suggest how should I cope up with such situation? I have to travel next week.

How do Amritdhari Sikhs in Singapore manage?

More importantly do you know how to use a kirpan and if the situation arose would you be willing to use it?

Do you maintain your kirpan to ensure it is razor sharp?...... or is it a useless blunt blade that couldn’t even cut a banana? 

I know people will flip out over my comments but wearing a kirpan for most people has become a ritual & nothing else.

Wearing a blunt kirpan, not knowing how to use it & not having the courage to use it is as good as not wearing one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Sikh
4 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

why don't you contact them at the gurdwara there ?

something I foound

https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/111068/is-kirpan-allowed-in-singapore-mrt

Thanks for the reply. I have mailed them regarding this and waiting for their reply. The question is asked by me only. :)

3 hours ago, BhForce said:

http://sikhadvisoryboard.org/index.php/security-guidelines-on-the-kirpan/

The Sikhs of Singapore have put forth the above guidance after consulting with Singapore authorities. 

Singaporeans know about Sikhs, and respect them. But to keep order in their society, they ban weapons. For Sikhs, the authorities acknowledge the kirpan, but don't want the general population getting the wrong idea.

Basically, Sikhs can wear kirpan, but don't flash it. Just keep it hidden, and you will be fine. 
Also, keep it small. Out of sight, out of mind.

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to confirm about this as the question asked here: https://www.quora.com/Is-kirpan-allowed-in-Singapore-MRT says it is not allowed. Secondly, how should anyone react to such situations?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh! 

Have you ever wondered what the law for wearing a Kirpaan in your country is?

Well now there is a online tool that shows you for free of charge! 

You can use it to find legislation and laws regarding the Kirpaan. The app will allow you to search for local or regional legislation. 

Different rules for neighbouring countries can often be confusing, as a community we can rely on this tool which clarifies laws and legislation. 

Visit the website https://www.Kirpaan.com and let us know us know how you fared

Is your town, city or country missing from the list? Did you spot an error or have an idea on how we can improve the service?’

Contact us on either facebook.com/Kirpaanapp / twitter.com/Kirpaanapp / info@Kirpaan.com

Please share so we can help spread the knowledge and help fellow Sikhs who may face trouble whilst carrying a Kirpaan

"For the Sangat by the Sangat" 🙏🏻

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Guest Sikh said:

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to confirm about this as the question asked here: https://www.quora.com/Is-kirpan-allowed-in-Singapore-MRT says it is not allowed. Secondly, how should anyone react to such situations?

1. All of the answers at the link above are written by ethnic Chinese on a general basis regarding bearing of weapons. The mainstream Singaporean does not know of specific accommodations for Sikhs in Singapore.

The Sikh community has come to an accommodation with the police, as stated above.

If you're going to Singapore, you won't have a problem, just keep your kirpan out of sight. Also stitch your gatra really tight so the kirpan doesn't fall out of the gatra. And don't talk about your kirpan. What the mainstream community doesn't know won't hurt them.

If one of your co-workers asks about Sikhs wearing kirpan, just tell them you're supposed to wear a kirpan, but you follow all applicable laws while in Singapore. Don't make problems for our brothers who live in Singapore.

2. If you still have doubts, you can call one of the phone numbers for the Sikh Advisory Board, or call any of the Gurdwaras of Singapore, but they'll tell you the same thing: wear a small hidden kirpan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, singhbj singh said:

Visit the website https://www.Kirpaan.com and let us know us know how you fared

OK, there's absolutely no information for Singapore.

For the country in which the vast majority of Sikhs live (India), there's a one-line reference to article 25 of the Constitution, but no specific information on practical stuff like wearing kirpans on airplanes.

For Canada, it says "In most public places in Canada a Sikh religious Kirpan is allowed but there some places where it is not clear cut such as workplaces and schools." Makes no mention of the fact that small kirpans are now allowed on airplanes in Canada.

The website shows less information than you'd get on the first page of a Google search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • One of the main criteria for entry into heaven or mukti is not specifically defined as non meat eating. I think Guru ji has made this rule specifically for kalyug where the quality of meat is on a decline and the cause of major illnesses.  All religions have some sort of similarity. At the end of the day survival on this planet is crutial if you are to earn your place in the darga. Vich duniya sev kamaiye ta dharge besan paiye.  Only Hinduism specifically says meat is to be avoided. However a person who is closer to God would not want to hurt or destroy another animal hence adding to their lekha. This is why a Sikh who is closer to God makes a personal choice to avoid meat.   
    • I know penji. I have had this debate too in the past. Everybody has their own views. Our religion has been messed up badly. Therefore it will take some time or generations to put it back together. 
    • Guest Paapiman
      If you have performed any form of sex (vaginal, anal, oral, etc), then that will be classified as a cardinal sin, which means that you are out of Khalsa Panth. In this case, you will have to go for Peshi (if you are still interested in being part of the Panth). The Panj Pyare will give you an appropriate punishment and they will make you re-take Khande da Amrit. If you kissed, hugged, etc, even that is not allowed in Sikhism, except within marriage. In this case too, Daas would highly recommend you to go for Peshi. But, the punishment will be less severe in this case. Do you plan to marry that guy? If yes, then I think you can go for Peshi after marriage. But, you need to confirm this with a Gurmukh Mahapurakh before following this advice.   Bhul chuk maaf
    • And you have not provided info to say there should have been more or less Gurus.  What you provided was atheist views.  So you were seen and continue to be seen as one because you refuse to recognize and accept Gurbani and Gurus for who they are.  No one is an atheist for asking questions,  it's the views you expressed here that make you one.
    • I never mentioned anything about hell.  So, I'm go talk to a wall because it will understand more than you.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use