IMPORTANT BREAKING NEWS : Patiala University Librarian caught destroying/selling Sikh rare manuscripts

jkvlondon

On 19/03/2018 at 5:39 AM, S1ngh said:

They are part of sikhri harinder singh based out of US. Not a good guy at all. Too many controversies surrounding him. Punjab’s PDL started by him but I guess they are bit independent but I WILL never trust them. 

Harinders forte is in politics and he is good at that. But when it comes to historically religious praxis, he is completey on the missionary line. PDL is a gem concerning literature and learning in the Sikh world today, as it houses so many texts that are unavaialable to the common Sikh today. For that I have to give him credit, but his misinformation on Dasam Granth and rehatnamas show him to be completely untrustworthy.

On 19/03/2018 at 11:59 AM, InderjitS said:

Isn't he the same guy spearheading the free Akal Takhat movement? Had no idea he started PDL and what controversies..

That was just a movement to get himslef in the news more than anything. The controversies he joined was in denying Dasam Grnth its correct place in the Panth and also changing dohra etc. He used to take SGGS in a wheelie-carry case around with him. Him and his crew do not believe in Sukhasan , chaur, etc of SGGS.

On 19/03/2018 at 12:38 PM, BhForce said:

Yes, Sikhri is organization that sowed doubt about the Dohra read after ardas (Guru manyo Granth ... raj karega Khalsa...), in addition to other things in a curriculum prepared for Sikh kids in the US.

I also would like to know what the motivation behind PDL is. Who is funding it? And what's the end game?

Will they start charging for access at a certain time?

It would be better for a neutral organization, like the SGPC, to digitize documents, and make them available for free for all the Sangat. We (Sikhs in general) already pay for the SGPC. The SGPC probably already has a good deal on its Internet upload access from their HQ in Amritsar, so why should the sangat have to pay another private organization (the PDL) for access to manuscripts?

The actual dohra is the one he reads, from Bhai Prehlad Singh's rehitnama. But the Panth hasn't read it that way for nigh-on 70 years now, so there was no need to force the issue controversially.

On 20/03/2018 at 7:00 AM, S1ngh said:

Yes. He did. He used to hold camps in california and had to cancel most of them once there was a bit movement to put stop on his manmats. It was huge surprise to me when khalsa camp uk invited him as a speaker. He started many projects, including sunday school syllabus- which once a famous california gurdwara teachers and sewadars announced to boycott sunday school over his manmat. He is the person who likes to change stuff and test the waters of the sangat. For example- in syllabus he said.. "Guru manyao Panth" instead of "Guru Manyao Granth". He also edited Guru jees signature etc.  

Harinder like many  missionaries want to make a name for himself in Sikh history as some kind of reformer.

2 hours ago, chatanga said:

Harinders forte is in politics and he is good at that. But when it comes to historically religious praxis, he is completey on the missionary line. PDL is a gem concerning literature and learning in the Sikh world today, as it houses so many texts that are unavaialable to the common Sikh today. For that I have to give him credit, but his misinformation on Dasam Granth and rehatnamas show him to be completely untrustworthy.

That was just a movement to get himslef in the news more than anything. The controversies he joined was in denying Dasam Grnth its correct place in the Panth and also changing dohra etc. He used to take SGGS in a wheelie-carry case around with him. Him and his crew do not believe in Sukhasan , chaur, etc of SGGS.

The actual dohra is the one he reads, from Bhai Prehlad Singh's rehitnama. But the Panth hasn't read it that way for nigh-on 70 years now, so there was no need to force the issue controversially.

Harinder like many  missionaries want to make a name for himself in Sikh history as some kind of reformer.

how can one reform perfection ? ...these kind of people should be pushed back from the Media as they will distort sikhi's image to the ultra hippy dippy PC type which is 'liberal' in outlook.

On 20/03/2018 at 7:00 AM, S1ngh said:

Yes. He did. He used to hold camps in california and had to cancel most of them once there was a bit movement to put stop on his manmats. It was huge surprise to me when khalsa camp uk invited him as a speaker. He started many projects, including sunday school syllabus- which once a famous california gurdwara teachers and sewadars announced to boycott sunday school over his manmat. He is the person who likes to change stuff and test the waters of the sangat. For example- in syllabus he said.. "Guru manyao Panth" instead of "Guru Manyao Granth". He also edited Guru jees signature etc.  

This was posted here in 2009, very much in line with missionary soch: 

Waheguru Je Kha Khalsa, Waheguru Je Ke Fateh:

I just wanted to chime in as I see this thread has had some recent activity in light of the recent controversy surrounding the Sojhi curriculum at Fremont Gurdwara which I understand has now been removed...

I'd like to thank everyone who has weighed in so far. I continue to believe that there is a great deal of potential for an entity like the Sikh Research Institute. As mentioned in my original post, they have done some good work such as helping with the making of the Widow Colony. But the good that they do should not give them a pass when they are wrong. I am convinced, now more than ever, that the worldwide sangat, particularly those here in North America need to stand up and refute some of what Harinder Singh is saying.

Just to recap, here is a sampling of the more controversial aspects of Harinder Singh's "research" courtesy of Panthic Weekly:

Do not believe in Dasam Granth

Promote meat eating

Promote pre-marital dating, do not allow parents in their camps

Promote 3 bani nitnem with only 6 pauri Anand Sahib

Do not believe in reading gurbani for our soul, only for research

Believe Guru Granth Sahib Ji is a book of knowledge and not Pargat Guran Ki Deh

Carry Guru Ji in suitcases to their camps etc

Do not believe in Chaur Sahib, Parsad bhog, Guru Ji's bastar and other daily sewa

Has changed Gurmantar from Waheguru to Vahguru

Has removed reference to Sri Nankana Sahib from Ardas

Has changed Dohre - from Guru Manyo Granth to Guru Panth

Has disrespected Guru Ji by saying Dasam Pita Ji was saved by sikhs in Chamkaur (vs Guru saves us all)

Has written disrespectful things about Pancham Pita's shaheedi and believe if Sukhmani Sahib could not save Guru ji from hot tavi, how can it help a sikh's problems

I'm all for people having an opinion but he should be prepared to back these up. Ideally he would participate in a debate similar to the one that the Singhs in Toronto had with Kala Afghana a few years back. Bhai Bhinderpal Singh would strike me as a good person to participate in such a debate. From everything that I have heard, Harinder has so far refused to participate in a debate each time he has been requested to do so. I think we should try and identify folks within the community who are just as articulate as he is and tackle each one of his blasphemous assertions...just my two cents.