Punjabi Buddhists

Premi5

Just now, BhForce said:

Well, yeah, but not in the way you replied to my statement. It is no more controversial to state that Chahal is a Jatt surname than to say that Anand is a Khatri surname or Smith is an English surname or O'Reilly is an Irish surname.

We don't "believe" in devtas, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. We just don't place our faith in them.

Similarly, we don't believe that any one racial group is inherently better than another.

My bad

21 minutes ago, CanadianSingh said:

I think I know why most Punjabi Buddhists are indeed Buddhists, well due to the fact of caste discrimination in our Sikhi.

Erm, what? What's to say that they were Sikhs prior to becoming Buddhists? I would venture to say they were not. They were just "Hindus" (not really, because they probably couldn't participate fully in the temple rituals), but do you have anything to say they were actually Sikhs?

The fact is that they were looking around for a religion to join, and Ambedkar chose Budhism, so that's what they became.

Also, when you say that Punjabi Buddhists are Buddhists because of caste discrimination, that's exactly why I questions why a Chahal would feel the need to become a Buddhist. Obviously, it's for a reason other than caste discrimination.

18 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Erm, what? What's to say that they were Sikhs prior to becoming Buddhists? I would venture to say they were not. They were just "Hindus" (not really, because they probably couldn't participate fully in the temple rituals), but do you have anything to say they were actually Sikhs?

The fact is that they were looking around for a religion to join, and Ambedkar chose Budhism, so that's what they became.

Also, when you say that Punjabi Buddhists are Buddhists because of caste discrimination, that's exactly why I questions why a Chahal would feel the need to become a Buddhist. Obviously, it's for a reason other than caste discrimination.

I am saying, forgive me for saying it. For the people who come from "upper" castes they just convert to Buddhism I guess are just trying to get an experience of spirituality or that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanshi_Ram Kanshi Ram came from the "Ramdasia" Sikh "Caste" and before his death wanted to convert into Sikhism. There are also Sikh Dalits or Lowest Class who converted to Buddhism due to the discrimination they faced from the upper class aka Jatts. Like for example, 2 gurdwara's or even 4 gurdwara's in pinds in order to cater for different caste. Some of them couldn't do langar and had to use separate utensils. Sikhism has a lot of good beliefs, but the issue is that culture and certain religions are influencing sikhi.

In a nutshell, some Punjabi's are Buddhists because they converted from Sikhism, Buddhism or even Islam to escape caste, thats the reason while some I guess trying to do spiritual things, I don't know.

3 minutes ago, CanadianSingh said:

I am saying, forgive me for saying it.

No problem, the point of a forum is to have discussion.

4 minutes ago, CanadianSingh said:

For the people who come from "upper" castes they just convert to Buddhism I guess are just trying to get an experience of spirituality or that.

Agreed.

4 minutes ago, BhForce said:

No problem, the point of a forum is to have discussion.

Agreed.

I mean I don't know why they convert to Buddhism, Sikhism and Buddhism has a lot of things in coming. We are placed on this world or universe in order to live a good life and do good deeds, and at the end achieve liberation, buts its a journey we have obstacles such as Maya or Illusions that distract us from achieving our goal. We both believe that there are multiple galaxies, universes, plants, life forms, etc. 

Just now, CanadianSingh said:

I mean I don't know why they convert to Buddhism, Sikhism and Buddhism has a lot of things in coming. We are placed on this world or universe in order to live a good life and do good deeds, and at the end achieve liberation, buts its a journey we have obstacles such as Maya or Illusions that distract us from achieving our goal. We both believe that there are multiple galaxies, universes, plants, life forms, etc. 

Right, I agree that they convert because they're looking for a spiritual experience. I also agree that they didn't need to convert, because they could have found that spirituality right in Sikhism, if they had just bothered to read Gurbani for once.