Forum Upgraded!

Sewadar

On 4/25/2018 at 3:19 PM, BhForce said:

Thanks a lot.

Also,

1) Could you remove anonymous reactions? I (and a lot of others, including @GurjantGnostic) don't see the need for anonymous reactions. Or perhaps only keep "like" and "funny" as a reaction. When you like something, you agree with it, there is nothing more to say.

If you don't like something, you should explain yourself. There is nothing more frustrating that an army of sockpuppets coming by and putting a "confused bootha" face on your post, with no explanation of why they did so.

2) The old frontpage layout was better where it had on the right sidebar the most recent threads, then the most recent posts.

All the way on the main bottom, it had the top posters. Frankly, top posters is not something that people urgently need to know. It's more of an ego thing for people who post a lot (such as me and about dozen others).

The reason for having top threads on the right sidebar is that's where most people know of the existence of a thread. If it's not there, it doesn't exist. They don't go into the subforums.

I know that there's still a top posts section on the frontpage, but that easily gets overwhelmed by a few posts in the same thread. The top threads section is more stable in getting attention out to some threads that didn't have the most recent posts.

I know that the layout I'm requesting is already present in the thread pages. But I'd really like to see it on the homepage, because that's the starting off point for most people, and it's really awkward to have to open up a random thread, just to then see what the top threads are.

I agree with @BhForce 's proposed changes. 

Confused bootha doesn't seem to be interested in constructive dialogue. Currently it mainly functions as a passive aggressive way to spread negativity. I don't feel the confused bootha is very congruent with the behavior of a Gursikh, or in accord with the terms of service for the forum. 

The top contributors list possibly fuels confused bootha's angst, and I don't get the feeling those who frequent the list really care if they are on it or not. 

Since we are proposing positive changes, it would be nice if you were taken to the most recent posts when you click on unread content instead of the initial comment of the thread. 

Thank you @ADMIN, @S1ngh, and others for your seva. 

7 hours ago, ADMIN said:

We are now using SSL :)

Please let us know if there are any issues e.g. missing images, broken links etc.

Singh, you could have gotten a free Wildcard LetsEncrypt Certificate.

Challo, at least our logins are secure now (I Hope)

52 minutes ago, ADMIN said:

@FreshMind13, thank you for that info. I only bought the cert for a year so will look at LetsEncrypt soon.

The sad and confused reactions are now removed and requested changes to the forum homepage are now in place.

I guessed that free must mean useless, but it looks like it's legit and @FreshMind13 is on to something. https://letsencrypt.org/ is backed by major corporations like Cisco and Mozilla.

Guest GuestSingh
On 4/28/2018 at 8:20 AM, ADMIN said:

@FreshMind13, thank you for that info. I only bought the cert for a year so will look at LetsEncrypt soon.

The sad and confused reactions are now removed and requested changes to the forum homepage are now in place.

The confused cartoon face only seemed to bother one or two. Time will tell whether this stop my name being falsely accused and bought into disrepute by the sensitive, paranoid and very hypocritical - think some need to experience the real world and talk to people more.

With the confused and sad cartoon faces removed, is there a need for the laughing face? Don't mind it myself but what's the difference between marking a post sad, confused or funny when it doesn't contribute to discussion? We can keep a little humour on these boards but everyone perceives and reacts differently.

My opinion is that the 'like' feature is abused and doesn't accurately reflect the quality of a poster e.g. being rude/obnoxious to someone you don't know or posting repetitive unfunny jokes/gifs seem to attract the more 'likes'. Not denying there should be a sense of humour on these boards but think almost every person will visit these boards to learn about Sikhi and our Panjabi culture. How about replacing 'likes' with helpful posts (green arrow/thumbs up) and unhelpful posts (red arrow/thumbs down) - the number of unhelpful posts could then be subtracted from the helpful posts to make the worth of a poster more fair and true. This could, also, increase the number of quality posts as posters may appreciate recognition of their posts being useful/relevant to discussion or not. This feature is on other forums and seems to work well - less likely to be abused too.

• The topic was unpinned