Taking amrit

Guest Amrit189

VJKK VJKF

Penji, it's beautiful that you are looking to be blessed with Amrit Ji. As far as your questions are concerned, Maharaj has blessed dass to do sangat of very learned Gursikhs and they have answered many of these questions themselves so Maharaj kirpa daas can help Ji. 

1) Your first issue is concerned with a Singh that you have feelings for, if I'm correct in assuming so. You are concerned that even after Amrit you may still have these feelings. It is beautiful to note that this is something you're concerned about because it shows that you really do have love for Guru Ji and you don't want to hurt them but also that you value the importance of Amrit Ji. My advice to this would be the following. It is important to note that the day you give to your Guru you are now dead to the world in the sense that you are only bound to 2 things; Guru Granth Sahib Ji (and of course all Gurus and their banis) and Guru Khalsa Panth Ji. This means that, yes, you may want to have feelings for someone else but the point of Amrit is you give away your Manmaat (ones actions and thoughts according to what they believe) and take on Gurmaat (one actions and thoughts according to what their Guru tells them to say and do). In a more practical sense, this means you may want to pursue this Singh however Guru Sahib has already chosen your partner who may not be the person you are trying to pursue (or it might be) and this would not be performing Gurmaat Ji. The Guru Khalsa Panth Ji will also help incredibly in finding you a life partner as the best place to look for a partner would be in SaadhSangat as Guru Sahib states in bani that this is where Waheguru Ji resides. This does not mean this is the only place to look for a partner but it is highly recommended to ask help from the Saadhsangat (Guru Khalsa Panth Ji) when looking to get married. The best thing to do is understand from that day onwards all your thoughts and actions should be performed with the aim to please our Guru and so to follow hukam we must understand that our Guru knows best and that we know nothing Ji. I hope that makes sense and didn't offend you Penji. 

2) An Amritdhari should be reading 5 Banis in the morning, 1 in the evening and 1 before sleeping Ji. This is the minimum they should be reading unless Panj Pyare have given any other orders, which are then to be followed instead. Many people will give you their takes on which banis are compulsory and are not however in the time of conflict with the mind if you seek Sangat to help you clear this problem, you will see that most Sangat's advise would be 5 Banis in the morning, 1 in the evening and 1 before bed however for all Sikhs the minimum we should be doing is Japji Sahib in the morning, Rehraas Sahib in the evening and Kirtan Sohila before sleeping Ji. This is due to the fact these are the first three Banis in Guru Granth Sahib Ji and these are the basic, basic roots for all Sikhs to do. People may say that this is not correct etc. but if we look at ithaas, Guru Arjan Dev Ji Maharaj compiled Adi Granth Sahib Ji and themselves would have ordered the first 3 Banis in this way and our Gurus never did anything for no reason and so, as far as I've been taught, Sikhs should be doing a minimum of those 3 however Amritdharis should be doing 7. The Rehat will be given to you by your Panj Pyare Ji (who are Guru Gobind Singh Ji's full form) and so they will most likely tell you that your banis should be 5-1-1 or anything specifically tailored to you as well (however you have also asked about speaking to Panj Pyare in English so I will try to explain that to you when addressing that question)

3) Most likely, yes. If you are being blessed with Amrit in the UK, many Panj Pyare will be carrying out Ghristi Jeevan (living the life of a householder as a Sikh) in the UK and so therefore they will know a good amount of English as well. It is good to get your Panj Pyare's numbers or emails as well because you have any questions or queries after you can contact them. Also try and get them to tell you the hukamnamas you get on the day as well as those are your messages directly from Waheguru Ji on that day and so you always know what to do if in doubt or trouble whilst walking this path of an Amritdhari. If you don't know Gurmukhi, it's not a deal-breaker. Bhai Jagraj Phaji did not know Gurmukhi properly either and was not able to read Gurmukhi when being blessed with Amrit so the Panj Pyare said that his rehat until he was able to learn Gurmukhi and read his nitnem was to do just 1 of simran in the morning and evening and just listen to his nitnem instead. Your Amrit is not based on your ability to read or speak Punjabi/Gurmukhi. Your Amrit is based on what's is was based on in 1699 - do you truly want to give your head to Guru Gobind Singh Ji or not? Many of us listen to katha in English and just about all of us speak English on this forum - just because it isn't in Punjabi does that mean that it's worth a lot less and we learn nothing?

The most important thing to note is that all of the things said in this forum are good to note and keep in mind but the ultimate answers will be given by Panj Pyare on the day of the Amrit Sanchar. The Panj Pyare on that day are Waheguru Ji for you. They will tell you everything you need to know and do and their word is the final word. Whatever they say as an answer to your your questions is the final say, no matter what. This is because they are Guru Gobind Singh Ji's full form and Guru Sahib is God themselves - there is no difference. So please bear in mind these are all just suggestions and us "trying" to help however whatever your Panj Pyare say will be the final answer to those questions. 

4) I believe this a question for the Bibis to answer in full Ji. There are many pages related to these kinds of questions however again, your Panj Pyare will be the ones to ask this question to directly and will clear all doubts. However you must remember this is a practical way of life as well so there are things you can do to get through these periods of time as well, and during that time of the month that is probably a good solution to that concern Ji. 

I hope this has helped and has not offended anyone Ji. Maaf karna for the millions of mistakes I've made whilst writing Ji. 

Hopefully this video should be able to clear up any other questions you may have. 

Vaheguru Ji. 

23 hours ago, monatosingh said:

Secondly, one doesn't need to practice rehat for a year, that's utter bull****

It's not bull, bro, it's good advice. People are too fast to take Amrit, they should take their time:

ਦਹ ਦਿਸਿ ਸਾਖ ਹਰੀ ਹਰੀਆਵਲ ਸਹਜਿ ਪਕੈ ਸੋ ਮੀਠਾ ॥

Dheh Dhis Saakh Haree Hareeaaval Sehaj Pakai So Meethaa ||

In all ten directions, the branches are green and alive. That which ripens slowly, is sweet.

ਤੁਖਾਰੀ ਬਾਰਹਮਾਹਾ (ਮਃ ੧) ਛੰਤ (੧੧):੫ - ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ : ਅੰਗ ੧੧੦੯ ਪੰ. ੧ 
Raag Tukhaari Guru Nanak Dev

It's great that you took only 2 months, but we're talking about giving advice to random people. Most of them will be better off taking more time.

8 hours ago, monatosingh said:

Hanji, if you look at puratan rehitnamr it doesn't quite mention chaupai sahib and and sahib.

Well, if you're referring to a rehitnama such as Bhai Nand Lal ji which says to do "Jap Jaap" in the morning, I think it would be a very bad idea to interpret that as meaning you don't have to do the other banis. When in bani it talks of "Kam Krodh" are bad, does that mean Lobh Moh Hankar are good?

23 hours ago, monatosingh said:

The minimum baania according to Sri Akal Takth Sahib which most Sikhs accept as minimum are

These are banis promoted by the SGPC as Nitnem banis. I would disagree with you about "most Sikhs". In my experience the vast majority of Sikhs who do Nitnem, do all 5 banis in the morning. Only a few hardcore missionary types stick to doing 3 banis. Most of the people who loudly insist there are only 3 banis in the morning, never actually recite those 3 banis in the morning.

I've never seen a gurdwara that doesn't do 5 Nitnem banis in the morning. Consequently, those Sikhs who do Nitnem, do 5 banis.

Someone explained the need to do 5 banis in the following way: It is accepted by all that Amrit has to be prepared with banis memorized (you can't use a gutka). (If you disagree with that, say so.) So, if the Chaupai and Anand Sahib have to be said during the Amrit ceremony, it's obvious that you should recite it every day, that's the only way to have it memorized.

Also, if Guru Sahib found these 5 banis to be of such a level that it was these specific banis that they chose to create Amrit, then Sikhs would automatically assume that those banis would be beneficial to recite every day, too, not just the day of the Amrit ceremony. Which, again, is the reason the vast majority of Sikhs do recite them.

Finally, it is the SGPC that promotes 3 banis in the morning. It is said that the Akal Takhat clarified in a Hukumnamma on 28 Apr 1985 that Sikhs should continue to do the 5 banis that they had been.

But back to the point which is the question asked by the OP, I think it's an extremely bad idea to encourage new Sikhs to only do 3 banis.

To the OP, you probably don't have enough of a background to judge whether it should be 3 or 5 banis. But you should know that if you do 2 less, you'll be in default of the Guru. If you're doing 2 "extra", you won't be punished for that.