1 hour ago, monatosingh said:

Sir Jaave Ta Jaave Mera Sikhi Sidak Na Jave 

That's neither Gurbani nor from any puratan source, bro. It's just a prevalent religious line.

3 hours ago, NonExistant said:

Was our religion in the gurus time called "sikhi"? 

I appreciate you asking it in the form of a question instead of blatantly making a categorical and demonstrably false assertion, as some people do on this forum.

Some could consider your question a stupid question, but if you asked the question, I'm sure a bunch of other people may be wondering the same thing.

The answer is, yes, it was called Sikhi. Bhai Gurdas ji used the term Gursikhi in his Vaars:

ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਸਿਖਣਾ ਨਾਦੁ ਨ ਵੇਦ ਨ ਆਖਿ ਵਖਾਣੈ।

Gur Sikhee Daa Sikhanaa Naathhu N Vayd N Aakhi Vakhaanai |

The discipline of the discipleship of the Guru is ineffable for the Vedas and all the melodies.

ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਲਿਖਣਾ ਲਖ ਨ ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਗੁਪਤਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਜਾਣੈ।

Gur Sikhee Daa |ikhanaa Lakh N Chitr Gupatilikhi Jaanai |

Even Chitragupt, the writer of the accounts of the actions of the people, does not know how to write about the spirit of Sikh life.

ਗੁਰਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਸਿਮਰਣੋ ਸੇਖ ਅਸੰਖ ਨ ਰੇਖ ਸਿਞਾਣੈ।

Gur Sikhee Daa Simaranon Saykh Asankh N Raykh Siaanai |

The glory of simaran, remembrance of the name of the Lord, cannot be known by myriad Seanags (thousand hooded mythical snake).

ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਵਰਤਮਾਨੁ ਵੀਹ ਇਕੀਹ ਉਲੰਘਿ ਪਛਾਣੈ।

Gur Sikhee Daa Varatamaanu Veeh Ikeeh Ulaghi Pachhaanai |

The conduct of the Sikh spirit can be known only by going beyond the worldly phenomena.

ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਬੁਝਣਾ ਗਿਆਨ ਧਿਆਨ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਕਿਵ ਆਣੈ।

Gur Sikhee Daa Bujhanaa Giaan Dhiaan Andari Kiv Aanai |

How can anybody understand the Sikh way of life or Gursikhi through learning and contemplation alone?

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਬਦ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਹੋਇ ਮਾਣੁ ਨਿਮਾਣੈ।

Gur Prasaathhi Saadhsangi Sabad Surati Hoi Maanu Nimaanai |

By the grace of the Guru, in the holy congregation, the gursikh concentrating his consciousness in the Word sheds pride and becomes humble.

ਭਾਇ ਭਗਤਿ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਰੰਗੁ ਮਾਣੈ ॥੩॥

Bhaai Bhagati Viralaa Rangu Maanai ||3 ||

A rare one may enjoy the pleasure of loving devotion.

ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੨੮ ਪਉੜੀ ੩ ਪੰ. ੭

Also Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha quotes Suraj Prakash using the term Sikhi:

"ਬਿਨ ਸਿੱਖੀ ਤਰਬੋ ਕਹਾਂ ਜਗਸਾਗਰ ਭਾਰਾ."

So did people look at the sikhs and the gurus and be like "yeah...those guys are from the Sikhi thing?

That and other names, like Nanakpanthi.

Wonder who made the name "Sikhi" then?

That's like asking who made the term "likhna" (to write) or "likhari" (writer) or "lekhni" (writings).

"Sikhna" is just a common Punjabi verb. A "sikh" is someone who learns, or is a follower. As stated in the Mahankosh, "sikhi" literally is just the act of acquiring instruction. This would not be strange to common speakers of the Punjabi language at that time.

Gurbani references "Sikh" or "Gursikh" many times. "Sikhi" is just the abstract noun extension of that. 

1 hour ago, BhForce said:

The answer is, yes, it was called Sikhi.

Stop lying, it was called “Sikhism” by the Guru, that’s what Wikipedia says, so it must be true. Stop trying to change our glorious colonial history you Sanatanist Sikh. 

SIKHISM is the best RELIGION 

6 hours ago, BhForce said:

That's neither Gurbani nor from any puratan source, bro. It's just a prevalent religious line.

I appreciate you asking it in the form of a question instead of blatantly making a categorical and demonstrably false assertion, as some people do on this forum.

Some could consider your question a stupid question, but if you asked the question, I'm sure a bunch of other people may be wondering the same thing.

The answer is, yes, it was called Sikhi. Bhai Gurdas ji used the term Gursikhi in his Vaars:

ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਸਿਖਣਾ ਨਾਦੁ ਨ ਵੇਦ ਨ ਆਖਿ ਵਖਾਣੈ।

Gur Sikhee Daa Sikhanaa Naathhu N Vayd N Aakhi Vakhaanai |

The discipline of the discipleship of the Guru is ineffable for the Vedas and all the melodies.

ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਲਿਖਣਾ ਲਖ ਨ ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਗੁਪਤਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਜਾਣੈ।

Gur Sikhee Daa |ikhanaa Lakh N Chitr Gupatilikhi Jaanai |

Even Chitragupt, the writer of the accounts of the actions of the people, does not know how to write about the spirit of Sikh life.

ਗੁਰਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਸਿਮਰਣੋ ਸੇਖ ਅਸੰਖ ਨ ਰੇਖ ਸਿਞਾਣੈ।

Gur Sikhee Daa Simaranon Saykh Asankh N Raykh Siaanai |

The glory of simaran, remembrance of the name of the Lord, cannot be known by myriad Seanags (thousand hooded mythical snake).

ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਵਰਤਮਾਨੁ ਵੀਹ ਇਕੀਹ ਉਲੰਘਿ ਪਛਾਣੈ।

Gur Sikhee Daa Varatamaanu Veeh Ikeeh Ulaghi Pachhaanai |

The conduct of the Sikh spirit can be known only by going beyond the worldly phenomena.

ਗੁਰ ਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਬੁਝਣਾ ਗਿਆਨ ਧਿਆਨ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਕਿਵ ਆਣੈ।

Gur Sikhee Daa Bujhanaa Giaan Dhiaan Andari Kiv Aanai |

How can anybody understand the Sikh way of life or Gursikhi through learning and contemplation alone?

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਬਦ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਹੋਇ ਮਾਣੁ ਨਿਮਾਣੈ।

Gur Prasaathhi Saadhsangi Sabad Surati Hoi Maanu Nimaanai |

By the grace of the Guru, in the holy congregation, the gursikh concentrating his consciousness in the Word sheds pride and becomes humble.

ਭਾਇ ਭਗਤਿ ਵਿਰਲਾ ਰੰਗੁ ਮਾਣੈ ॥੩॥

Bhaai Bhagati Viralaa Rangu Maanai ||3 ||

A rare one may enjoy the pleasure of loving devotion.

ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੨੮ ਪਉੜੀ ੩ ਪੰ. ੭

Also Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha quotes Suraj Prakash using the term Sikhi:

"ਬਿਨ ਸਿੱਖੀ ਤਰਬੋ ਕਹਾਂ ਜਗਸਾਗਰ ਭਾਰਾ."

That and other names, like Nanakpanthi.

That's like asking who made the term "likhna" (to write) or "likhari" (writer) or "lekhni" (writings).

"Sikhna" is just a common Punjabi verb. A "sikh" is someone who learns, or is a follower. As stated in the Mahankosh, "sikhi" literally is just the act of acquiring instruction. This would not be strange to common speakers of the Punjabi language at that time.

Gurbani references "Sikh" or "Gursikh" many times. "Sikhi" is just the abstract noun extension of that. 

Thanks.

12 hours ago, BhForce said:

Oh.. I thought Bhai Taru Singh sang it.

10 hours ago, TheeTurbanator said:

Stop lying, it was called “Sikhism” by the Guru, that’s what Wikipedia says, so it must be true. Stop trying to change our glorious colonial history you Sanatanist Sikh. 

You chill, SGPC.

15 hours ago, TheeTurbanator said:
17 hours ago, BhForce said:

The answer is, yes, it was called Sikhi.

Very funny.

Now let me ask you a question as you attempt to be the savior of pre-British Sikhism:

Are you wearing a chola, kurta-pajama, or chadra as you type this? Or any time today?

Also, do you have a 3-ft kirpan on you, as the pre-British invasion Sikhs did?

Don't lie.

43 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Very funny.

Now let me ask you a question as you attempt to be the savior of pre-British Sikhism:

Are you wearing a chola, kurta-pajama, or chadra as you type this? Or any time today?

Don't lie.

Yes I do 

9 minutes ago, TheeTurbanator said:
53 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Very funny.

Don't lie.

Yes I do 

I see. You're sitting at your computer wearing a chola with a 3 ft kirpan in your gatra.

I'll leave it to the rest of Sikhsangat.com to judge the likeliness of that.

Also, do you you wear a chola and 3ft kirpan everywhere you go (high school, college, factory, office, park), or do you submit to the sartorial wishes of the colonial masters against whom you rail? I.e., you only wear a chola and 3ft kirpan when you've sat at your computer and transformed into the savior of pre-British Sikhism?