Attitude towards Non-Sikhs adopting Sikh beliefs & practices

Guest Caspian

Guest Caspian

I'm an English, middle aged, ex Christian who two weeks ago started reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib, and learning about Sikh beliefs. The teaching is compelling and convincing, I'm reading SGGS each day and finding it beautiful and transforming, and I'm learning Sikh meditation. But I'd like to know how Sikhs feel about non-Sikhs adopting their teachings, scripture and practices - without actually becoming a Sikh. I'm concerned that some Sikhs might find this disrespectful or wrong in some way. I want to engage with and learn from Sikhs but I can't see myself becoming one - is this welcome? Or could this be seen as a problem? Thanks in advance for any advice.

On 5/5/2018 at 8:34 PM, Guest Caspian said:

But I'd like to know how Sikhs feel about non-Sikhs adopting their teachings, scripture and practices - without actually becoming a Sikh. I'm concerned that some Sikhs might find this disrespectful or wrong in some way.

Welcome to the forum.

No, I don't think it's disrespectful.

Guru Granth Sahib is a treasure of spirituality. One can accept the whole treasure, or even if you were to accept a small gold piece, that would be a benefit, too, right?

There are two Sikhisms: One specific, and one general. The latter being for you. You might be called a "Sehajdhari Sikh", a outside admirer.

I want to engage with and learn from Sikhs

Best first step would be to create a free account on here -- much easier to converse when you can get notifications and people can verify which account is posting what.

Or could this be seen as a problem?

The only way I could see this as a problem is if you demanded a vote in the SGPC (historical Sikh temple board) or other Gurdwara elections. Merely coming to the Gurdwara (or sitting in your house interacting electronically) is just not a problem.

The teaching is compelling and convincing, I'm reading SGGS each day and finding it beautiful and transforming,

I assume you're not reading the original, so which translation on which website are you reading? (There are some problems with some translations.)

Guest Caspian
9 minutes ago, BhForce said:

I assume you're not reading the original, so which translation on which website are you reading? (There are some problems with some translations.)

Thanks so much for your comment - and for all the other encouraging words on this thread from others.

The translation I'm reading on Kindle does not name a translator - which I really should have taken as a warning bell! Is there an translation on Kindle you could recommend ? Ideally one that is also easy to navigate. 

Thanks again

On 5/5/2018 at 6:04 PM, Guest Caspian said:

I'm an English, middle aged, ex Christian who two weeks ago started reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib, and learning about Sikh beliefs. The teaching is compelling and convincing, I'm reading SGGS each day and finding it beautiful and transforming, and I'm learning Sikh meditation. But I'd like to know how Sikhs feel about non-Sikhs adopting their teachings, scripture and practices - without actually becoming a Sikh. I'm concerned that some Sikhs might find this disrespectful or wrong in some way. I want to engage with and learn from Sikhs but I can't see myself becoming one - is this welcome? Or could this be seen as a problem? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Truth is Truth. Jesus taught it, so did other teachers. The Gurus taught the uncorrupted Truth, not twisted by humans and changed by scholars and tyrants etc over time. 

Guru Nanak taught that theres no religion, only Truth. 

-No Hindu, No Muslim, Only One.

So take the Truth wherever you find it and find peace. 

God bless you