Buying kachera for the first time

Guest Kachera

Guest Kachera

Wjkk wjkf

I am buying kachera for the first time and I check my waist all around is 56 inch but when it says the kachera is 36 inch is that just the front part

Please help.me by sending a link that has a kachera my size

I need to buy urgently

On 5/7/2018 at 11:34 AM, Guest Kachera said:

Wjkk wjkf

I am buying kachera for the first time and I check my waist all around is 56 inch but when it says the kachera is 36 inch is that just the front part

I need to buy urgently

hold on you are measuring around navel and getting 56 inches are you heavy set ?  because a kachera is 36 across the total circumference is 72 inches  as this distance is doubled . the moree is important you need to measure around the lower part of the thigh near the knee and compare against the moree which is quoted as half the total circumference .

On 5/7/2018 at 5:04 PM, Guest Kachera said:

Wjkk wjkf

I need to buy urgently

One thing that you should know is that the ghera (width) of a kachera is roughly 2 to 2.5x the actual waist size of a person.

So, let's say that a man has a waist of 33in. The kachera's width would be roughly 50-60in for a large kachera, which is what you should be wearing if you're not a gelding. If you're a girl, wear a suitably smaller one.

The pauncha (leg opening) for a man should be maybe 10=11 inches or so. It's purposely a bit tight so that if, say you're sitting with your butt and feet on the floor, and knees up, no one can peek inside and see your privates.

The other measurement for a kachera is length, which, for a large kachera would mean the length from your waist to your knees (maybe 20-25 in).

Guest Kachera

Wjkk wjkf 

Thank you for replying back. When I go around all.my waist it is 56 inches. I am a woman and quite heavy I'm a trying to.loose weight. Please help it's confusing on the websites...can you guy send me links that will have my size and what waist inches do I buy the largest one I have seen is 36 inches.

On 5/10/2018 at 5:41 AM, Guest Kachera said:

Wjkk wjkf 

Thank you for replying back. When I go around all.my waist it is 56 inches. I am a woman and quite heavy I'm a trying to.loose weight. Please help it's confusing on the websites...can you guy send me links that will have my size and what waist inches do I buy the largest one I have seen is 36 inches.

I see.

As noted above, you'll need the ghera of the kachera to be larger than your actual waist. For women, it probably won't be double, like it is for men. For men, the folds of the cloth of the extra ghera serve to protect modesty when not wearing any clothes. 

For women, you always have to wear a salwar over your kachera, so generally the ghera isn't so big.

Here's one that offers 44 inches, still too small:

http://www.sikhshop.net/18-buy-kachera-online

This one is max 43 inches:

http://www.khalsastore.com/Sikh-accessories/kachera/BUY-ONLINE-KACHERA-SIKH-TAKSALI-NIHANG-SINGH-2

Larger ones are often available in India, especially in large kakkar stores in Amritsar.

I think what you may have to do is contract with a Sikh tailor to have custom-made kacheras tailored. The major expense will probably be shipping.

For example: 

Gulati Tailor & Cloth House

2 reviews
Clothing store in Punjab
Address: 26-A Brahm Butta Market, Near Golden Temple,, Near Guru Ram Das Nivas, Amritsar, Punjab 143001
Phone: 98720 26022

This is a well-known tailor. If you've every wandered outside of Darbar Sahib, you've probably seen this shop. It's possible he'll do shipping to wherever you are for a fee.

Then again, I don't know, because I've never even gone into that shop.

Good luck.

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi
On 5/9/2018 at 4:36 AM, BhForce said:

One thing that you should know is that the ghera (width) of a kachera is roughly 2 to 2.5x the actual waist size of a person.

So, let's say that a man has a waist of 33in. The kachera's width would be roughly 50-60in for a large kachera, which is what you should be wearing if you're not a gelding. If you're a girl, wear a suitably smaller one.

The pauncha (leg opening) for a man should be maybe 10=11 inches or so. It's purposely a bit tight so that if, say you're sitting with your butt and feet on the floor, and knees up, no one can peek inside and see your privates.

The other measurement for a kachera is length, which, for a large kachera would mean the length from your waist to your knees (maybe 20-25 in).

so , ghera is like simply the width and not the circumference , right ? because circumference would be 2 times the width.

anyways , for waist of 33 inch , a 60 inch is pretty huge , almost 2 meters wide . Is this wide kachhera practical ?

you certainly can't wear these under the pants . 

18 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

so , ghera is like simply the width and not the circumference , right ? because circumference would be 2 times the width.

OK, you could use circumference as a word in English to mean ghera. As I explained, for a man, it would normally be 2X your waist.

19 minutes ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Is this wide kachhera practical ?

Yes, absolutely. Sikhs have always worn this style of kachera from the time of the 10th Guru.

It's not "pretty huge". As explained at the linked post, the extra width bunches up, and protects your modesty when not wearing pants, etc.

Yes, you can and people do wear it under pants.

Also as explained in the linked post, for all you males out there, man up and wear a man's kachera. Of course this doesn't apply to the OP, because she has stated she's a woman.

• 7 months later...

Sat-sri -akaal sareyaan nu! Vjkk Vjkf

Does anyone know the best place to get kachera..? I've been told you can get them from gurdwarey but I'm not sure...

I am open to all suggestion!