Why are these forums so dead?

Why are these forums so inactive?  Why are there only a few new posts every day?  Why do most threads flop?

With all of the issues that our community faces, I would hope that there would be many lively discussions, and regular, vigorous, intelligent debate. 

Instead, I find that I only have to visit this place once every few weeks to keep up.

Is there some other place with a more lively debate about Sikh issues?  Or does the lack of activity in these forums reflect the general sad lack of interest in Sikhi these days?

By the way, it doesn't help that whenever a topic actually generates a lively discussion, the moderators find some stupid reason to close the thread and prohibit any further posts.  I'm sure this thread will also be closed.  It also doesn't help that people who actually are interested in discussion (like West London Singh/Legal Singh/Jagsaw Singh) get banned.

34 minutes ago, californiasardar1 said:

By the way, it doesn't help that whenever a topic actually generates a lively discussion, the moderators find some stupid reason to close the thread and prohibit any further posts. 

I do agree that discussion should be allowed to the maximum extent possible.

I'd really like to get into some debates with some missionaries on this forum, but seems difficult because they get banned.

35 minutes ago, californiasardar1 said:

It also doesn't help that people who actually are interested in discussion (like West London Singh/Legal Singh/Jagsaw Singh) get banned.

Well, what was the actual reason, again, that he got banned?

In any case, the mods let him run loose again, but he voluntarily chose to leave (because he thinks too much of himself, and he thinks everybody else is below him). That's unfortunate because I had still wanted to pin him on some of his ridiculous statements.

37 minutes ago, californiasardar1 said:

Why are these forums so inactive?  Why are there only a few new posts every day?  Why do most threads flop?

I do think it would be better if there were a few more posts per thread. But do note that there are a lot of people who read threads without commenting.

What I would like is for topics to be fully discussed without being dropped in the middle. There have been some discussions like that over the years (such as the one on the topic of Was Fareed ji a Muslim).

21 hours ago, monatosingh said:

Take the amount of non-registered guests who may be Sikh or Non-Sikh, how much they are learning.

One of the things Jagraj Singh said in his call to action video, was that most Gurudwara are lacking in adult education in Sikhi, and that they have become places where people don't have true discourse or can ask honest or even embarrassing questions. This site is a fantastic resource and the Sangat here are very knowledgeable and committed to Sikhi. 

Not only do we all benefit from these conversations while we have them, but they live on as a resource for all. 

Wanted to take it to next level. Funds are here but don't have creative idea or plan to get something done more further to help those who lives in remote areas with less sangat or bring more resources to global sangat without any cost.

The reason why me and my friends started this site in 2001 was to find sangat. I used to live in a remote area with no Sikh sangat. Thus created sikhsangat and it helped me a lot and i know hundreds who got benefited from such sites.

I am thinking of opening a online course/school system for gurmat.

On 5/13/2018 at 1:46 PM, californiasardar1 said:

With all of the issues that our community faces, I would hope that there would be many lively discussions, and regular, vigorous, intelligent debate. 

Instead, I find that I only have to visit this place once every few weeks to keep up.

Is there some other place with a more lively debate about Sikh issues?  Or does the lack of activity in these forums reflect the general sad lack of interest in Sikhi these days?

By the way, it doesn't help that whenever a topic actually generates a lively discussion, the moderators find some stupid reason to close the thread and prohibit any further posts.  I'm sure this thread will also be closed.  It also doesn't help that people who actually are interested in discussion (like West London Singh/Legal Singh/Jagsaw Singh) get banned.

I remember being on these forums back in days and it was buzzing with lots of members because:

1) Hardly no social media (whatsapp, facebook, twitter, instagram, etc). Nowadays there's so much distractions of different smart phone apps that peoples attention is directed else where back in the days this was one of the few places you could chat with other Sikhs around the globe.

2) Apathy has taken place over last decade or so,....Punjabi people were more interested in connecting and learning about there Sikh faith as there was less distractions

3) The forum had module addons like chat, arcade games, quizzes. Interactive stuff to make the youth keep coming back to the site.

4) Google search algorithms has created a disaster for alot of websites they rank websites by SEO and in particular number of good backlinks and reputation. Whereas back in the days yahoo and google were equally competative so alot of people used yahoo and google to search for things and sikhsangat topics used to come up in their searches so they would be redirected to the forum whereas these days if you were interested in a particular topic you probably wont find sikhsangat topics indexed in relevant searches.