School is pointless and I hate it

Guest Singh

Guest Singh

School is pointless for the most part. You spend so much of your time memorizing things that won't be important to you 10 years in the future, but you  have to do it or you cannot "succeed" in society without it.  It's just there to control youth and make them part of society by pressuring them into getting education, jobs and consuming all of your freetime. I remember listening in one of Sant Jarnail Singh Ji khalsa bhindranwale's katha that people spend the first 18 years just getting basic education, then after that can choose to work more or study more. Sant ji asks a question that what if that same person spent those 18 years doing kamayee of sikhi ( for example - learning raag kirtan, katha, itihaas, santheya,doing abhiyass) . Learning things like raag kirtan,  katha, santheya take years in themselves for each.   Also especially with our history of sikhi ,every 2 generations there are major events which affect the entire panth. My grandparents grandparents suffered through parition of India 1947 and My grandparents were in their youth during 1984 and their generation passed and suffered. My grandparents children lived through much less turbulent times, and grew up in the expanding and beginnings of the modern information era around 1990's era.Now our generation is next line for something major to happen. My question is why should I waste time memorizing useless information and focus at school anyways if another major event is bound to happen within the next few years. My parents wanted me to be a doctor, but there is no point. It takes so long, and you basically centre your life around getting there, meaning no social life, no free time to do what we should do as sikhs,(abhiyaas).

I really just want to get out of school a.s.a.p and just have a simple job, making decent money, like 50k which is like the average income. You cannot really get a job in the 100k plus range without spending like 7-10 years after highschool. I have exams coming up, but I am full with doubt and duality regarding whether I should just do simran and not study since   10 years from now, it won't matter, or i give up that  simran time and study. 

I really enjoyed Religious Education, Geography, History and Punjabi at school. 

Only earn enough to eat food and pay rent. But do make a holiday to Punjab (the environment is relaxing and stress free). Here in the UK it's WORK and WORK.

Walking in a park is also relaxing.

16 hours ago, Guest Singh said:

I really just want to get out of school a.s.a.p and just have a simple job, making decent money, like 50k which is like the average income.

If you don't like office/professional jobs, working with your hands (farming or carpentry) is just fine. Get some vocational training and do that.

Guest Mister Man

Guest Singh you are 100% right. I regret wasting all of my youth/early adulthood in the education system. It is full of useless information and memorising fruitless, pointless things which are of no benefit whatsoever. You only need the essentials like knowing english, maths (for everyday application). Things like science and western medicine are full of so much falsehood. You have to understand that the education system is there to make obedient slave-workers for the elite and that there are high level corporate interests and lobbying involved especially in Universities and the National Curriculum. Personally I've had to do away with most of garbage that was impregnated into my mind, after deep reflection. 

I would have loved to have learnt santhiya, puratan granths, raag kirtan, languages inc farsi, arabic, sanskrit that are in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and Sri Dasam Guru Granth Sahib Ji. 

There are some parents who actually home school their children to prevent them being brainwashed. This is something worth considering.

I have actually thought of how wonderful it would be if we made our own schools, with our own curriculum and do away with all the poison that is being currently taught to our children. We need to go back to the education that was taught during our Guru's time. 

It's a tough one. Most of the time you've got to play the game to escape the game. Also, much of our positive self-image and others' perception of our value as individuals is tied up in our education and social status, and if you're the kind of person for whom the family, extended family, and wider community are keenly interested in your various achievements, not having that safety net in place can be a galling experience, moreso if you happen to fall on hard times. The modern education system in places like the States and the UK is a dog's dinner particularly in state schools. It's an absolute joke. If I had kids i would never send them to be indoctrin... uh, educated at school. I'd homeschool them. But that requires a parent with an uncommon singular vision and desire to provide a superb learning experience for their offspring. Sadly, most of our lot can't wait to drop the little punks off at the school gate in the morning.

Sikhi sees honour in honest work and true effort it doesn't matter if you are a road sweeper or a lawyer if you do your job with full honest effort and it doesn't compromise your sikhi all's good. I have three sons all three of them are different have different goals and interests , I would be crazy to think they all need to go through the cookie cutter machine that is university . In the original times of university it was basically a meeting forum for scholars to discuss and develop ideas . But now it is just a propaganda brainwashing process , e.g. medical students come out anti -alternative  pro-pharma , History students believe in colonial untruths about countries invaded e.g. Punjab was illiterate and unruly.

What I told my kids is life is long and the way things are going you'll be working most of it , do stuff that you truly care and love then you will succeed , don't worry about other people's kids or even your friends they have their journey and you , yours . If you like mechanical things train in mechanics  if you like being outdoors and growing plants become a gardener it's all good . Nothing to stop you from learn about sikhi , doing santhiya around schooling ...just look for classes nearby or online .

School is not to prepare yourself to make money. In our community we have this perception that education is only there to make you money after one graduates. I went to schooling only thinking that im here to explore, learn and enjoy the line of study that i got into (i changed my major three times). Of course nothing is easy peasy but with bit of hard work and discipline you can keep yourself happy by not doing any overthinking. 

I usually see folks who are in wrong major or wrong line of study usually have self-esteem and will power (i experienced that for few months). Pick what you like and lead the adventure into that field.