Punishment methods for kids

Guest Singh

Guest Singh

Any guidance in Sikhi about parenting and punishing kids for bad behaviour? How did your parents punish you as child for being bad? Or how do you punish your kids? With strict Punjabi parents, my brother and I always got proper punishments. Normally 5 mins of spanking with a karachi (wooden spoon). Looking back it did hurt but I’m glad my parents did it because it stopped me behaving bad. And I used to behave really bad!

My kids are 8 and 11. I know other options available like grounding or banning TV, but sometimes it’s not enough?

Guest jigsaw_puzzle-singh
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:48 AM, Guest Singh said:

Any guidance in Sikhi about parenting and punishing kids for bad behaviour? How did your parents punish you as child for being bad? Or how do you punish your kids? With strict Punjabi parents, my brother and I always got proper punishments. Normally 5 mins of spanking with a karachi (wooden spoon). Looking back it did hurt but I’m glad my parents did it because it stopped me behaving bad. And I used to behave really bad!

My kids are 8 and 11. I know other options available like grounding or banning TV, but sometimes it’s not enough?

You might be exaggerating a bit with the "5 minutes"...I mean 5 minutes is a long time :hairan: but generally I think you need to be careful when it comes to physical discipline because it can be counter-productive. There are many thousands of white middle aged middle class managerial types that are addicted to being spanked to this day....and pay good money for it.  I'm not a doctor but from my own expert medical opinion I reckon it's because they liked getting spanked as kids. So with a cure often comes other maladies. For example, I used to be addicted to alcohol. I went to the doctor and he told me to lay on the couch. I laid on the couch and he urinated in my mouth....and it worked. From that day onwards I no longer craved alcohol. Only trouble is, now I'm addicted to doctor's urine and it's a lot more difficult to get. Especially after hours on a Friday night.

The answer then, is to beat the kids at their own game...i.e. the Law.  Whenever my eldest would deserve a beating he used to quote the law and threaten to call social services. My answer was to remind him of the Law that says I can kick his sorry arse out into the streets when he turns 16. To get this point across I placed a countdown calendar thing on the fridge that showed how his days were numbered  and also regularly showed him homeless bums on the street as a warning of things to come unless he straightened himself up. Needless to say, he straightened himself up.

Me and brother got beat with one of those wooden karchis once.

It was painful and I was glad when the karchi broke in two peices while getting hit by it. So the beating came to an end after it snapped in two.

?

Otherwise it was the usual hi tech trainer.  lol