Punishment methods for kids

Guest Singh

On 5/18/2018 at 3:48 AM, Guest Singh said:

Any guidance in Sikhi about parenting and punishing kids for bad behaviour? How did your parents punish you as child for being bad? Or how do you punish your kids? With strict Punjabi parents, my brother and I always got proper punishments. Normally 5 mins of spanking with a karachi (wooden spoon). Looking back it did hurt but I’m glad my parents did it because it stopped me behaving bad. And I used to behave really bad!

My kids are 8 and 11. I know other options available like grounding or banning TV, but sometimes it’s not enough?

No, hitting kids is wrong. My brothers and sisters were hit as kids and turned out pretty messed up. Many who are hit as children become violent towards others in later life. 

There are plenty of other ways. Google child psychology channels and you can find different more normal and civilized ways of disciplining children. Remember gurbani says that violence is only used as a last resort and unless your kids are trying to kill you, I wouldn’t suggest hitting them. 

13 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

What if they're killing the parent from inside, emotionally, can the child be struck?

There’s always another way. Would you hit another adult? If we hit another adult we go to jail.

So why should you hit a child. Are they lesser beings than adults? 

Should we hit old aged pensioners because they’re old and dependent and vulnerable like children are dependent and vulnerable. 

Would you like to be hit if you were vulnerable and dependent on others?

17 hours ago, Sat1 said:

No, hitting kids is wrong. My brothers and sisters were hit as kids and turned out pretty messed up. Many who are hit as children become violent towards others in later life. 

There are plenty of other ways. Google child psychology channels and you can find different more normal and civilized ways of disciplining children. Remember gurbani says that violence is only used as a last resort and unless your kids are trying to kill you, I wouldn’t suggest hitting them. 

There is a barrier. Hitting the life out of a kid is wrong but giving a kid a slap if they’re naughty is fine. The kid needs to habe a little respect for the parent.

On 5/17/2018 at 7:48 PM, Guest Singh said:

Any guidance in Sikhi about parenting and punishing kids for bad behaviour? How did your parents punish you as child for being bad? Or how do you punish your kids? With strict Punjabi parents, my brother and I always got proper punishments. Normally 5 mins of spanking with a karachi (wooden spoon). Looking back it did hurt but I’m glad my parents did it because it stopped me behaving bad. And I used to behave really bad!

My kids are 8 and 11. I know other options available like grounding or banning TV, but sometimes it’s not enough?

sant baba Gurbachan singh ji bhindranwale said that people beat their children cuz they dont know how to teach them in a loving way. i dont think disciplining a child has anything to do with sikhi honestly.

On 6/1/2020 at 12:20 PM, MisterrSingh said:

I'm not killing the child emotionally. Answer my question without asking another question. ?

No. You should understand that you should treat others as you would like to be treated, most of all vulnerable people like children and the elderly. People who hit such beings are cowards and abusers. Hitting is abuse regardless of whether your parents thought it to be normal growing up or not. 

If you wouldn’t want to be hit, you shouldn’t hit others, period.