Punishment methods for kids

Guest Singh

On 6/1/2020 at 3:16 PM, AkalkiFauj said:

There is a barrier. Hitting the life out of a kid is wrong but giving a kid a slap if they’re naughty is fine. The kid needs to habe a little respect for the parent.

No it isn’t fine. Whoever told you that is an abuser. Why don’t you ask your parents to slap you now and see if you like it. A child is no less of a human than you. Find another way. There’s a reason child helplines help kids who have been hit. Because it’s ABUSE. 

Guest Bali

I’m not joking my Punjabi friend’s parents were seriously strict and used to put a mirch (green chilli) in his bum when he misbehaved and didn’t study. He became the best behaved kid at school and one of the highest achievers. 

I grew up with single parent mum who just told me it’s my choice if I don’t study and want to fail in life. I took advantage of it didn’t study because I knew mum won’t care.  If there was at least some strictness and discipline growing up from my mum, I would have achieved much more from school. I ended up with a rubbish job but my friend became a doctor. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, Sat1 said:

No it isn’t fine. Whoever told you that is an abuser. Why don’t you ask your parents to slap you now and see if you like it. A child is no less of a human than you. Find another way. There’s a reason child helplines help kids who have been hit. Because it’s ABUSE. 

I got the **** beaten out of me and I’ve turned out to become a good person. It also made me quite strong ?.

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh
On 7/19/2018 at 12:27 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

Good points. You know, I am usually very reluctant to draw anyone's attention towards any research studies, especially Psychology - and in this case child psychology - studies because something like 95% of such published studies around the world use 'white Europeans' as their subject matter and so their 'white centric' findings are usually pretty much irrelevant to our culture. As such, I'm always seeking information away from this euro-centric bullc*ap and sometimes you really do find what you are looking for in the most unexpected of places. In terms of how to raise a child....a GOOD, OBEDIENT, WELL-BEHAVED child, I think we all need to learn from the Mayan people native to Central America, mostly Guatemala. Their children are extraordinarily good and studies have show that the reason for this is the way the parents get the kids involved at an early age. From an early age, when a child sees his or her mother cooking or father working, the child naturally wants to join in. Here in the west, mother will say no because it's dangerous or there'll be a mess made in the kitchen and father will also make excuses - usually on 'elf and safety' grounds and say no. In Mayan culture however, parents understand that more than anything else in the world - i.e. more than fun, toys and play - the child really desires to be helpful and do what mummy and daddy are doing. Instead of saying 'no' the Mayans actively look at the child and say "come child.....come help" and never ever shout of chastise when things get broken or go wrong. The result is the most well behaved, happy and helpful children in the world.

Guys, I wrote that ^ nearly 2 years ago and you've all ignored it. I think you need to revisit what I said and re-think whether or not you wish to absorb it or ignore it. The behaviour of Mayan children in Guatamala is nothing short of an awe-inspiring miracle guide for us all throughout the world. They really have unlocked this age-old problem of child discipline.

Guest Parents
On 6/18/2020 at 9:04 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh said:

Guys, I wrote that ^ nearly 2 years ago and you've all ignored it. I think you need to revisit what I said and re-think whether or not you wish to absorb it or ignore it. The behaviour of Mayan children in Guatamala is nothing short of an awe-inspiring miracle guide for us all throughout the world. They really have unlocked this age-old problem of child discipline.

Why do you think we ignored what you wrote? Because we’re Punjabi. If my children are bad they get a good slap! That’s the way we do things. Giving kids a thapadh for being bad is as traditional as saag and mkee de roti ?