Punishment methods for kids

Guest Singh

Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh
On 6/20/2020 at 12:41 AM, Guest Parents said:

Why do you think we ignored what you wrote? Because we’re Punjabi. If my children are bad they get a good slap! That’s the way we do things. Giving kids a thapadh for being bad is as traditional as saag and mkee de roti ? 

And what am I ?......a Bengali ?     Who is this "we" that you talk about as if some homegeneous group that all think and act alike ?  My friend, who 'we' are as individuals is who we see ourselves as being. You like to see us as an uncouth group that habitually smacks children and I like to see ourselves as the people of philosophy who blew the minds of Alexander and the ancient greeks with our philosophical widsom. As I said in previous messages, the mayan people in Guatamala have unlocked this age old problem of child discipline. Learn from them.

I think the majority of us were hit during childhood. I am a parent myself, the problem is we as parents are not taught the tools and strategies to discipline our children so we end up doing a bad job of it. 

pardon me, if I missed it but what exactly are you finding difficult? Is there a particular issue or concern? 

My daughter surprised me this morning when she came to me and apologised for her behaviour, she’s only 4 years old. No one told her to come and apologise. The issue was: She refused to brush her teeth as she wanted me to put the tv on. I explained that she could watch it once she was ready. I asked her if she would like me to help her or if she wanted to do it herself. She started to have a tantrum so I walked away (instead of getting angry and shouting at her or forcefully brushing her teeth). She was given the space to calm down and reflect. I walked away and that meant I didn’t get wound up either. You don’t and should not hit a child. Based on my own experience, You as the adult can help the child to change their behaviour by changing your own behaviour. 

please don’t hit your children, you just need to find what works.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• yeh it's true, we shouldn't be lazy and need to learn jhatka shikaar. It doesn't help some of grew up in surrounding areas like Slough and Southall where everyone thought it was super bad for amrit dharis to eat meat, and they were following Sant babas and jathas, and instead the Singhs should have been normalising jhatka just like the recent world war soldiers did. We are trying to rectifiy this and khalsa should learn jhatka.  But I am just writing about bhog for those that are still learning rehit. As I explained, there are all these negative influences in the panth that talk against rehit, but this shouldn't deter us from taking khanda pahul, no matter what level of rehit we are!
    • How is it going to help? The link is of a Sikh hunter. Fine, but what good does that do the lazy Sikh who ate khulla maas in a restaurant? By the way, for the OP, yes, it's against rehit to eat khulla maas.
    • Yeah, Sikhs should do bhog of food they eat. But the point of bhog is to only do bhog of food which is fit to be presented to Maharaj. It's not maryada to do bhog of khulla maas and pretend it's OK to eat. It's not. Come on, bro, you should know better than to bring this Sakhi into it. Is this Sikh in the restaurant accompanied by Guru Gobind Singh ji? Is he fighting a dharam yudh? Or is he merely filling his belly with the nearest restaurant?  Please don't make a mockery of our puratan Singhs' sacrifices by comparing them to lazy Sikhs who eat khulla maas.
    • Seriously?? The Dhadi is trying to be cute. For those who didn't get it, he said: "Some say Maharaj killed bakras (goats). Some say he cut the heads of the Panj Piyaras. The truth is that they weren't goats. It was she-goats (ਬਕਰੀਆਂ). He jhatka'd she-goats. Not he-goats." Wow. This is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard in relation to Sikhi.
    • Instead of a 9 inch or larger kirpan, take a smaller kirpan and put it (without gatra) inside your smaller turban and tie the turban tightly. This keeps a kirpan on your person without interfering with the massage or alarming the masseuse. I'm not talking about a trinket but rather an actual small kirpan that fits in a sheath (you'll have to search to find one). As for ahem, "problems", you could get a male masseuse. I don't know where you are, but in most places there are professional masseuses who actually know what they are doing and can really relieve your muscle pains.

Important Information

Terms of Use