Gurdwara Designs

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

Guest jigsaw_puzzled _sing

They are synonymous as I have mentioned before.

Yes Tej, You do keep mentioning it. And you're a fool for not listening. I'll say it again.....if you stand up in a conference of historians and architects and repeatedly refer to islamic architecture as 'arabic' architecture it will not belong before almost everyone in the room forms an opinion that you are a fool.

Peaked domes were not present on any building prior to the Islamic invasion of South Asia. The Hindu dome you're ignorantly referring to is actually the Buddhist stupa, and our Gurudwara domes look nothing like it:

I'm not sure who you've been having conversations about regarding 'peaked' domes but it certainly wasn't me so no idea what on earth you are talking about. And secondly, more importantly, you have got to be the most ignorant fake ever if you think you can willy nilly throw random 'Bhuddist stupas' into a conversation about the sacred Hindu science regarding the spiritual power of a dome. I've noticed how you work Tejs. You deliberately throw in a random remark about 'bhuddist stupas' even though nobody ever referred to them and then you finish the sentence with a totally meaningless "and our Gurdwara domes look nothing like them" even though you were the only one here that ever mentioned them.

I think it's safe to say that having mentioned Byzantium, I made it clear I was talking about the Christian Empire

I see what you're doing Tej. Very clever. You're not really talking to me here. You're speaking to the ignorant masses who will think what you said there makes sense when both you and I know that in a conversation about the influence of eastern orthodox architecture upon the Punjab landscape the holy roman byzantium christian tradition is an influencer of it but it is not actually it. If you're suggesting it is....then surely we will wake up tomorrow morning realising that the whole eastern orthodox vs roman schism within christianity is not real....it was just a bad dream. :)

Shared heritage with everyone? Oh yes, the whole word is one big happy family. Only a Sikh stands with a Sikh, never Hindu or Muslim or Jew. That should be your only heritage. I'm not telling you to hate other people, as that would be against Sikhi, but I'm telling you to identify who your kin is. 

I appreciate and understand where you're coming from Tej. In all honesty, I used to think like that but, once you have children and they get closer to adulthood things begin to change....thinking begins to change. As you see your kids about to seriously enter the big wide world you start to live through their eyes and you try and shape and mould their souls in the right direction. My kids, since they were very little, were taught by me to often close their eyes and try and tune into their heartbeat in silence. Once they were in tune with it I told them that heartbeat is what connects them to all mankind. Respect all mankind. Never hurt mankind because there is a spiritual connection. I am so happy to say that my children value that lesson. They feel empathy with all mankind regardless of race or creed. As I said in my message at the top of this page, in terms of what I think Sikh architecture ought to be, our heritage and culture is fluid. It changes over geographical boundaries and I feel those unique national characteristics should shape what Sikh architecture is. In other words, there should not be one Sikh architecture. In each diaspora, it should take on unique cultural and historical aspects. For example, as I stated, the UK Sikh architecture should in some way encompass the character of previous industrial factories and the Canadian Sikh architecture style should encompass, in some shape or form, timber.  I'm not an architect and I'm not a builder. I'm merely articulating my thoughts on what essentially this thread was about.....i.e. our individual thoughts on what sikh architecture should be. There is nothing there that should have caused anyone to see an excuse for abuse and anger but one or 2 (including yourself) did for some reason. It's not too late to take the conversation back on track and let you, and anyone else, share their thoughts, i.e. Is there a Sikh Architecture ? If so, what do you think it is ?

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, puzzled said:

I find these old abandoned Gurdware in pakistan very beautiful 

Image result for old gurdwara pakistan

Related image

Related image

These buildings are beautiful yet simple and look nothing like mosques. They have so much character and charm 

Modern day gurdwara buildings look dull and repetitive compared to these buildings  

Thank you Puzzled and Preet for your amazing pics of Gurdwaras and your gallant attempts to keep this thread on track.

You’re right Puzzled, there are some amazing Gurdwara buildings in Pakistan. My personal favourites are Rori Sahib for its aesthetic beauty and Panja Sahib for its layout

Image result for rori sahib

Image result for panja sahib

This Gurdwara in Sindh in Pakistan is interesting, because the sangat is entirely Nanakpanthi Hindu Sindhis:

Image result for sindh gurdwara

The proposal for Northampton look interesting. At first sight it resembles a Police precinct / HQ but it kinda grows on me after a while :

Image result for northampton gurdwara design

The Gurdwaras in Malaysia and Indonesia do often seem a bit overly influenced by the local Islam in their use of the domes and minaret  style towers and columns.

Image result for malaysia tat khalsa

I love this building so much (Kericho, Kenya) simply because it my Guru’s home but I won’t lie to you – the fact that they didn’t care that the staircase would not be symmetrically in the middle of the building does make me very very upset !

Related image

Gravesend, is of course an acknowledged masterpiece. It will stand the test of time. Havelock Road, Southall most certainly will not. Gravesend interior:

Image result for gravesend sikh temple

Related image

Related image

Some nice aerial shots:

Bedford

Image result for aerial shots of sikh temples bedford

SanJose

Image result for aerial shots of sikh temples san jose

Southall

Image result for aerial shots of sikh temples southall

The Penang Gurdwara doesn’t looks very non-descript from the ground ...in contrast to what it looks like from the air:

Image result for penang gurdwara

Image result for aerial shots of sikh temples penang

While on the subject of aerial shots. This Hindu Temple in Tamil Nadu is just so beautiful on so many levels. Perfection personified !

Image result for aerial shots of tamil nadu temple symmetry

Damdama Sahib almost achieved that symmetrical perfection. Almost. I think it tells us alot about our historical unappreciation of the arts that when completing the final stages of this amazingly beautiful complex at Damdama the very simple thought of symmetry, right at the end, went out of the window:

Image result for aerial shots of damdama sahib

Hazur sahib

Image result for aerial shots of hazur sahib

Sri Parivar Vachora, Ropar

Image result for aerial shots of shri parivar ropar

Leamington

Image result for aerial shot of leamington sikh

Craigeburn, new zealand:

Related image

Lahore

Image result for aerial shot of lahore sikh ranjit

Glasgow, Scotland

Related image

Jalandhar, Bulandpuri Sahib

Related image

Perth , Australia

Image result for aerial shot of perth sikh temple

Random Pics

Montreal, Canada

Related image

Dubai

Image result for dubai sikh temple

Central Gurdwara, Singapore

Image result for central gurdwara singapore

Related image

Image result for central gurdwara singapore

Cameron Highlands, Malaysia

Image result for cameron highlands sikh temple

Kenya

Image result for indonesia sikh temple

Fiji

Related image

Trinidad and Tobago

Image result for trinidad sikh

Bombay (compare the use of colours here to the simplicity of neutral white in the Singapore Gurdwara)

Image result for bombay sikh temple

Manikaran

Related image

Old Historic Abbortsford Gurdwara, BC

Image result for abbotsford sikh

The original paldi Gurdwara from 1917 in Duncan, Vancouver island

Image result for paldi sikh temple

And finally, from a Sikh Architecture point of view, quite possibly the most interesting. Not the most beautiful, but this historic Gurdwara in South India just doesn’t fit the stereotype or norm. Its very interesting. Jhira Sahib, Kanataka

Image result for jhira sahib

Image result for jhira sahib

Related image

5 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Gurdwara Darshan Deori Amritsar, The gurdwara itself seems just a little gate with a room on top. Think it was built during the Sikh empire

Image result for gurdwara darshan deori amritsar

Image result for gurdwara darshan deori amritsar

gurdwara-darshan-deori.jpg

gurdwara_sri_darshani_deori2.jpg

14.jpg

The artwork inside is beautiful 

Wow !!  Thank you for that Puzzled. That really is beautifull.  It's actually quite interesting isn't it how Amritsar, even though it was a major stop along the old silk route and so probably had a lot of contact with Chinese tile traders etc adopted the Indian tradition of paint rather than tiling ?  Regardless, it doesn't detract from it's beauty. Amazing photo..Thanks.