Gurdwara Designs

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

Guest LS93 Lakhvir Singh

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿਜੀ   ਤੁਸੀਚੜਦੀਕਾਲਾਵਿਚਹੋਂ

When is the next Amrit sanchar programme in the midlands or in the uk Ji??

Can Sangat come together and produce a list of this year Amrit Sanchar dates and Gurdwara. Lets do productive Parchar rather then debating all the time you aint going to Find Vaheguru or make them pargat by debates. 

Guest LS93 Lakhvir Singh

Theres 3 Mona or even more, if we care so much about Sardars Keshadhari with flowing beard lets do Sikhi Parchar any way and means possible (inline with Hukam ofcourse). Majority of Sikhs and people time in general gets wasted on social media or on religious websites. There are countless Bakri Sikhs who wear a turban but are mona like Daljit punjabi singer etc and others who cut their beard. non Inspirational who lead mona sikhs into bollywood and away from sikhi. 

13 hours ago, puzzled said:

Amritsar street in 1901

[Punjab-Amritsar-June-1901.jpg]

Thank you Preet and Puzzled. Amazing pics of Amritsar.

Preet: Yes I agree the window on the left seems to have taken on a more rectangular shape compared to the historical photographs but....in terms of how the Harmandir Sahib complex has changed over time it is difficult to be critical though because what we've ended up with over time is breathtakingly beautiful. Sure we all have our little gripes over the way it is run...for example special VIP treatment etc but in terms of aesthetic beauty there is nothing in the world that can match it.

Puzzled's amazing pics of Amritsar do, I feel, deserve a discussion on the architectural landscape of the city. Back in the early days of the Sikh Misls there was just the one main gate (Katra) that led in and out of the city. This provided the sangat within the city walls all the protection they could ever need. That gate was destroyed by the Mughals. Whilst there was that main gate, all the other Misls had made their own forts and fortifications around the city. The British, once they finally took over, quickly destroyed all of them. So whilst so much of Amritsar's historical architectural legacy has been lost there is still so much that is still there but is being lost in front of very eyes so, unless we do something, will be lost to the next generation. In terms of intrigue and little quirks, the old city actually has more than it's former sister city of Lahore. The dynamics of that 'sister' city relationship were very interesting in that Lahore was the place that the people lived in but Amritsar was the place in which they commuted to each day in order to do business. Amritsar was the hub of Lahore...the heart of Lahore. Lahore was the tranquil parks and recreation area whereas Amritsar was where the action was. It's old historic buildings reflect that.

This is what's left of the Ahluwalia Misl fortification. To me, this is just so beautiful:

Image result for amritsar heritage

Related image

Related image

I've been to Rome and it was wonderful but a walk through the backstreets of Amritsar can be equally as rewarding in terms of the gems you will find:

These wooden jhakaras are amazing and also at the same time scary when you take into account that families are still living behind them with young chidren. A real fire hazard, especially above commercial premises,  so it would be great if the authorities could come up with some type of plan to protect that buildings and the families that live there:

Related image

Given Amritsar's status as the economic and industrial powerhouse / heart of Lahore and it's place on the old silk route, the extravagance of the Sikh and Hindu business owners gave us some amazing buildings. How's this for a Hindu business owner's entrance into his haveli?  What's really interesting here is the way in which the dome of Harmandir Sahib ji came to symbolise the architectural legacy of havelis within the old city. Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims incorporated the dome of the Gurdwara itself as it defined the city itself.

Related image

Related image

Related image

This haveli just magically transports you back to a golden bygone era:

Will this gem still be around for the next generation to enjoy ? :

Related image

To me, this pic tells a story. It speaks of a confident vibrant city. Not hiding and in fear of war and attack but one where merchants were busy living and making money:

Related image

Thakurdwara dariana Mall:

Image result for thakurdwara dariana mall

Related image

Related image

A random galli (alley) in Amritsar old town:

Related image

Heritage Amritsar (16)

Heritage Amritsar (11)

How could you not want to come in when confronted with a door like this ? :

Heritage Amritsar (14)

This gate could easily be in any village or town in Punjab. In some ways, it defines our landscape:

Heritage Amritsar (9)

Baba Bohar

Heritage Amritsar (26)

Gobindgarh Fort:

Related image

entrance to Gobinghar Fort:

Khalsa College:

This door to the durgiana mandir is very impressive. Interesting to note the Urdu writing inside the temple though:

Maharaja Ranjit Singh's summer residence at company bagh:

Related image

Now, if I may please draw everone's attention to 13Mirch's excellent thread on the main page regarding the absolutely awful events happening in America regarding separating children from their families and locking them up in cages:

First of all 13 Mirch I want to say thank you. What a wonderful discovery and thread. Thank you for posting it.

Regarding what is happening in America over the last week or so it has been difficult to not become overcome with emotion. As a parent, just a thought of what those little children and their parents are going through tears my heart apart and I just can't bear to think how every minute must seem like an eternity in hell for them. I'd like to however draw something to the attention of all of you, especially those living in the UK. I have a few qualifications under my belt but as I'm really not overly materialistic in outlook I haven't used any of them to carve out a career in a particular field. I make enough from writing to be able to live comfortably within my means so am content with that. One of the qualifications I have is a Law degree and although I have never made a penny from it has been the most rewarding degree for me because I have used it to help people. A few years ago a fauji (illegal) family we know approached us because their child had been taken away from them by the authorities. I won't go into too much detail but essentially it was because they didn't take the child in for treatment regarding a suspected fracture on his arm. Lets not get too bogged down by the morals of that and perhaps understand how the government's hostile environment policies which require hospitals and surgeries to report all suspected illegals to the Home Office scare those without papers from seeking treatment. Anyway, the long and short of it is that we in the UK should not be complacent because it does happen here as well. At the time, I did a Freedom of Information request to the Home Office and asked how many children were deliberately separated from their parents because of the government's minimum earnings criteria. The answer was around 15,000 !

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, MisterrSingh said:

"Jagsaw cries out in pain as he strikes you."

I see the classic Jagsaw trope of suggesting mental illness in his opponent when all else that fails has been deployed. The remainder of your bitter rant is classic projection. Again, you've inadvertently revealed more about your own damaged psychology in your attempt to take down your opposite number. At this point you're just throwing everything possible at the wall, hoping some of it sticks. 

I'm sure the mods could provide you with the necessary stats to resolutely prove that I certainly have never, "been continuously logged on as a user day and night almost continuously for the last many years." Again, desperate projection. 

Also, lmao at the idea that one needs to physically be situated before a computer to post on a forum. You may be stuck in 1997, but the rest of the population have moved onto these things called smartphones that allow people to post their thoughts from anywhere at anytime... even during working hours! Do you have a physical disability which explains why you're on this forum 24/7 whilst everyone is at work? 

You're a disingenuous fraud. I don't need to go any further, because there's nothing I could possibly say that's as damaging to you as what goes on in that strange little head of yours, you sad little freak.

Finally, I don't believe you're a Muslim; I've never alluded to that possibility in the slightest. I believe you've eaten the joot of Muslims (amongt other things), but I know you're a Sikh, and that makes your lifelong attempts at whatever it is you're doing on this forum all the more intriguing. 

I've got your number. No letting up from now on. 

Mistersingh.

I could spend all day, all week and indeed an entire lifetime trying to figure out what on earth it is about the subject of Sikh Architecture and Designs that has unleashed an angry monster in you. It is beyond my level of understanding so I'll not even attempt to try. Why you feel the need to repeatedly appear on this thread and throw abuse around like it was going out of fashion whilst the rest of us are sharing thoughts and pics about Sikh architecture is something only you can reconcile inside your own head. You have clearly taken an intense dislike to me so any advice on my part would surely not be welcomed by you. All I can say to you is this:  In this discussion about architecture and design there is no right and wrong. It's about what the individuals eyes either like or don't like and as such everyone's thoughts, including yours, are extremely valid and welcome. You are my Sikh brother whether you like it or not. I lovingly embrace you whether you want to be embraced by me or not. I neither know nor care where all of your anger comes from. All I know is that I would gladly welcome your input into this discussion about Sikh / Punjab architecture if you felt you wanted to join in.