Atheist Son Of Sikh Parents Need Advice Asap

Guest mumsikh

Guest mumsikh

i am 18 years old, pursuing computer engineering in a well reputed college in mumbai. i have always had cool friends and supporting parents. but, i've never been a staunch believer in religion. i always find religion to be pointless, following what some person(s) said/wrote hundreds or thousands or years ago and having to follow their rules and the way they want us to lead our lives just doesn't seem right to me at all. i've been smoking weed since a year, and quite regularly. my grades are not affected by,and i've not been as irritable i was since a long time. i never intended to let my parents know about me smoking pot, but nowadays the paranoia associated with weed is taking over the better of me sometimes because of the guilt i feel hiding it from my parents. i have many friends who smoke weed and all of them are really nice people, so why should what i do in my personal life be associated with my morality?
i really feel smoking weed isn't bad for me but i don't wanna live in hiding from my parents.
i am a turbaned sikh and my parents are really good role models, just that i do not believe in the same things as me. is there any way i can come off to them and tell them about me smoking the jane?

On 5/24/2018 at 3:52 PM, Guest mumsikh said:

i am 18 years old, pursuing computer engineering in a well reputed college in mumbai. i have always had cool friends and supporting parents. but, i've never been a staunch believer in religion. i always find religion to be pointless, following what some person(s) said/wrote hundreds or thousands or years ago and having to follow their rules and the way they want us to lead our lives just doesn't seem right to me at all. i've been smoking weed since a year, and quite regularly. my grades are not affected by,and i've not been as irritable i was since a long time. i never intended to let my parents know about me smoking pot, but nowadays the paranoia associated with weed is taking over the better of me sometimes because of the guilt i feel hiding it from my parents. i have many friends who smoke weed and all of them are really nice people, so why should what i do in my personal life be associated with my morality?
i really feel smoking weed isn't bad for me but i don't wanna live in hiding from my parents.
i am a turbaned sikh and my parents are really good role models, just that i do not believe in the same things as me. is there any way i can come off to them and tell them about me smoking the jane?

You are an ungrateful , sneaky two-faced weasel of a son ... they, your parents  are paying for your education, trusting that you are lighting up their name with exemplary behaviour but instead you are hanging with 'cool' people (let me guess they are cool because they drink alcohol, do drugs and encourage you to do the same) . Wow you are so wise and all-knowing ...hardly out of nappies and yet thinking you know the answers to everything . Sikhi by the way is not a religion it is a way of living which encourages the deepest self-knowledge and connection to the  life force of the universe. the same scientists you feel affinity for are guess what realising that there is something more , there is ESP, Astral Projection, Psychic communication...next they will be discovering that the soul exists ...
You are a pothead and all potheads have zero perception of their true condition - it is not a benign drug it can trip you over the psycosis line ...
I bet you'll pick your friends over your folks ...guess what son those 'friends' will evapourate as soon as you have no money or prospects ...

YOU are many things BUT you are NOT a Sikh , a sikh follows his Guru you follow your friends/own narrow drug-addled mind

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi

SatSriAkal ji , 

welcome to the forum. 

Gurbani says "Naam Khumaari Nanaka chade rahe din raat" (May I be intoxicated with the lord's name day and night)

All other intoxication is useless bro. Don't fall for those arguments that it helps you in certain areas of life, as in your irritability. Short term gains are not worth the long term losses. 

It will create dependency on your mind , and it may end up being a slippery slope towards other herbal/non-herbal intoxicants. Already Punjabi youth have a bad rep lately of being intoxicated and drug abusers. Do you want to contribute to that ?

So as you see , anything that makes us intoxicated is not good , even if it comes from a plant source. 

I recommend you come out of the closet , leaving behind the drugs in the closet. Its not worth it. 

May waheguru ji bless you because he forgives our greatest of sins but you need to come across honest to your parents IMHO and experience.

I am also from mumbai , but i tend to stay away from people who like to get stoned. I was also an atheist/agnostic before some miraculous events happened in my life few years ago. If you're atheist, that too in his will . He himself separates us from him and then he himself unites, so says gurbani ! 

If you have anxiety issues or other mental pressures, I would strongly advice choose path of yoga, meditation, simran , and other such techniques that help you train and calm your mind without any side effects or guilt . 

1 hour ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

SatSriAkal ji , 

welcome to the forum. 

Gurbani says "Naam Khumaari Nanaka chade rahe din raat" (May I be intoxicated with the lord's name day and night)

All other intoxication is useless bro. Don't fall for those arguments that it helps you in certain areas of life, as in your irritability. Short term gains are not worth the long term losses. 

It will create dependency on your mind , and it may end up being a slippery slope towards other herbal/non-herbal intoxicants. Already Punjabi youth have a bad rep lately of being intoxicated and drug abusers. Do you want to contribute to that ?

So as you see , anything that makes us intoxicated is not good , even if it comes from a plant source. 

I recommend you come out of the closet , leaving behind the drugs in the closet. Its not worth it. 

May waheguru ji bless you because he forgives our greatest of sins but you need to come across honest to your parents IMHO and experience.

first thing that quote IS NOT GURBANI  and second he is not bothered about his behaviour he wants to justify its continuance with blessings of his folks ...ain't happening any time.. soon . He is uncaring about bringing his panth's image into disrepute or his family's , this is not a small thing it is a huge indicator of the control the drugs already have over him , he feels paranoia coming over him and yet he wants to be not judged for it ...

Guest Who are you to judge
4 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

You are an ungrateful , sneaky two-faced weasel of a son ... they, your parents  are paying for your education, trusting that you are lighting up their name with exemplary behaviour but instead you are hanging with 'cool' people (let me guess they are cool because they drink alcohol, do drugs and encourage you to do the same) . Wow you are so wise and all-knowing ...hardly out of nappies and yet thinking you know the answers to everything . Sikhi by the way is not a religion it is a way of living which encourages the deepest self-knowledge and connection to the  life force of the universe. the same scientists you feel affinity for are guess what realising that there is something more , there is ESP, Astral Projection, Psychic communication...next they will be discovering that the soul exists ...
You are a pothead and all potheads have zero perception of their true condition - it is not a benign drug it can trip you over the psycosis line ...
I bet you'll pick your friends over your folks ...guess what son those 'friends' will evapourate as soon as you have no money or prospects ...

YOU are many things BUT you are NOT a Sikh , a sikh follows his Guru you follow your friends/own narrow drug-addled mind

People are free to do what they want, who are you to judge what he does

Let people choose their own path without judging so harshly. 

Guest Really

To the OP, 

Obviously weed is an intoxicant which shouldn't be used for the wrong reasons. It's negative and brings about very negative effects.

You should really lay off it and focus on your life, your studies, your spirituality. 

3 hours ago, Guest Who are you to judge said:

People are free to do what they want, who are you to judge what he does

Let people choose their own path without judging so harshly. 

If he is asking for permission to carry on pulling the wool over his trusting parents eyes , to bring sikh saroop into ridicule  sure I have something to say ... he's been doing it for a whole year and only now it's bothering him? He wants to act like he's grown up and all that and yet is behaving like a kid . If he doesn't want to hear the truth unvarnished and all he shouldn't ask a sikh about his bad behaviour , around us people are trying to remove our dastars as unecessary , and this guy is pulling stuff like this openly  and feeling happy on it ?

Guest Kaur

The problem with Indian sikhs is that they simply can't grasp Sikhi. They're so involved with their Hindu friends and others that they mix everything.

You say "always find religion to be pointless, following what some person(s) said/wrote hundreds or thousands or years ago and having to follow their rules and the way they want us to lead our lives just doesn't seem right to me at all." 

Well actually no,  Sikhi isn't what "some person said" and it's not "rule based".  Sikhi is "character based" and it's what the the infinite power sent to the Gurus to convey.  Do any of your pot smoking friends wake up at amritvela (if you know what that is) to meditate? Do they do dasvandh? Are they into martial arts? Have you contributed to any open source projects?

Don't come on a forum and ask people how you should lie to your parents.