Should non-practising sikhs be allowed Anand karaj?

Guest Pakhand

Guest Pakhand

The reason Sikhs don't allow people of other faiths to get married through an Anand karaj is because they are being pakhandi and promising to follow Guru when they clearly aren't going to. But what about those Sikhs who don't practice sikhi and bow to Guru Ji promising to follow Guru Ji when they obviously aren't going to practice sikhi either? Should we allow them an Anand karaj? How can we stop others who don't practice sikhi to not go to an Anand karaj but those Sikhs who are already being pakhandi by calling themselves sikh carry out even more pakhand by doing the same thing as non Sikhs at an Anand karaj?

please give your honest answers. Time we discussed these topics rather wait for those who don't care in power to not discuss them. 

4 hours ago, TheeTurbanator said:

Should non-practising sikhs be allowed Anand karaj?

No, otherwise it will just turn into an empty ritual.

OK, so what's your definition of "practising Sikh"? One who carries a 3ft kirpan?

Do you carry one?

Even if you do, do you carry the other 4 shasters? 

If not, you are ineligible for an Anand Karaj, as you're not a practicing Sikh.

18 hours ago, Guest Pakhand said:

How can we stop others who don't practice sikhi to not go to an Anand karaj but those Sikhs who are already being pakhandi by calling themselves sikh carry out even more pakhand by doing the same thing as non Sikhs at an Anand karaj?

Quite simple: You don't talk about "practicing Sikhs", rather about "believing Sikhs". 

The definition of Sikh in the SGPC rehat maryada does not say you're a Sikh only if you wake up at 1am in the morning, or have a beard and turban. It merely states that you believe in Akal Purakh, the 10 Gurus, their Bani, Guru Granth Sahib, and have no other religion. If you can state that (in a statement with your signature), then you're a Sikh.

I agree that it's totally meaningless for someone who doesn't even believe in Guru Sahib to have an Anand Karaj.

The requirement to state a belief in Guru Sahib will neatly rule out any marriages with non-Sikhs, such as Christians and Muslims.

If a Gurdwara wants, they could even increase the strictness by requiring the marrying couple to take out an ad in the newspaper stating their declaration of faith, and that they are no longer believe in Jesus, Mohammad, or whoever.

Guest Pakhand

Anyone could just write that they do. Its the same thing as 90% of Punjabi boys who wear the khandha but dont know a thing about Sikhee. That definition also isn't enough because anyone can say that. Jin man hor mukh kor se khaandhay kaacheya. If you have one thing in your mouth and another in your mind then you are false. all we do by making people sign that is stop people of other faiths from Anand karaj but what about those are aren't practising sikhee and can get away with it cos they grew up in it. Is that that not pakhand as well?

I'm not Amritdhari but i believe gurdwareh should be a lot more strict on who they are letting have Anand Karaj. I mean would they let someone who drinks and doesn't do paath take part in Amrit Sanchar and take amrit, no they wouldn't so why do they let people who drink, eat meat etc take part in Anand Karaj. I'm sure at one point in history Anand Karaj ceremony was taken just as seriously as taking Amrit but somewhere down the line people started seeing it simply as a wedding/viah. I remember a few weeks ago when i went gurdwara someones Anand Karaj had been completed and i saw the groom walk out with his pagh thrown over his shoulders and the first thing he said when he walked out was the F word with a big sigh of relief. Someone like that should not be allowed to have anand karaj. I even question myself sometimes and wonder if i really should have Anand Karaj, I wouldn't want to promise to Guru Ji and then break the commitment a few weeks later by doing something stupid. Now and then i do stoop down low! 

The least Gurdwareh can do is explain to the couple what Anand Karaj is and the commitments they will need to make, after that the couple can decide for themselves if they want to go ahead with it or not. 

Tbh the aunties are as clueless and lost as some of these couples are these days. They compete with other aunties at work with whose son has the bigger and better wedding and who had the better outfits. Most of them look like old slappers these days. I know of these distant relatives where the brides mother woke up at 2AM at night to get ready for 4 hours for her daughters Anand Karaj and she ended up fainting at the ceremony because she didn't get enough sleep and was too busy getting done up by the beauticians all night. She looked like a saggy old t@rt. Whatever happened to the grooms/brides mother looking simple and dignified. And the drunk uncles with chicken curry stains on their shirts is a whole different thing all together. 

Guest confused.upset.lost

Q1) Can you not call yourself a sikh, unless you are amrtidhari?

Q2)Is anand karaj ONLY for amritdharees?

Q3) How many amritdharees have been FORCED to become amritdhari so that they can fit in, and call themselves a sikh?  

Q4) my parent's weren't amritdharee, but they had anand karaj. They both have faith in sikhi, both do bhagti but are NOT ready for amrit yet. Does this mean that I was born out of wedlock (haram) since righteous Sikhs are saying that a couple MUST be amritdhari to validate Anand karaj?

Q5) Is this Guru Nanak ji's sikhi is this some new version that I missed along the line?

2 minutes ago, Guest confused.upset.lost said:

Q1) Can you not call yourself a sikh, unless you are amrtidhari?

Q2)Is anand karaj ONLY for amritdharees?

Q3) How many amritdharees have been FORCED to become amritdhari so that they can fit in, and call themselves a sikh?  

Q4) my parent's weren't amritdharee, but they had anand karaj. They both have faith in sikhi, both do bhagti but are NOT ready for amrit yet. Does this mean that I was born out of wedlock (haram) since righteous Sikhs are saying that a couple MUST be amritdhari to validate Anand karaj?

Q5) Is this Guru Nanak ji's sikhi is this some new version that I missed along the line?

Brother, you seems to be upset. I think you are taking at too much extreme level and sees a division among people. I would suggest you to take time to learn more about sikhi. Start reading books and translations if your Punjabi is weak.