Food of the Ancestors

Guest Kaur5

Guest Kaur5

Hi

i was wondering if anyone had information on what people from the wider Punjab (india and Pakistan) originally ate? Has the diet changed much from say great-grandparents? I’m trying to figure out if we in the western world should still primarily and only consume the same food of our ancestors? Given that we have access to so many other cuisines should we not be still only consuming what we need based on our make-up (DNA)? General rule being if your grandparents or great-grandparents wouldn’t recognise it, don’t eat it? 

Guest Someguy
5 hours ago, Guest Kaur5 said:

Hi

i was wondering if anyone had information on what people from the wider Punjab (india and Pakistan) originally ate? Has the diet changed much from say great-grandparents? I’m trying to figure out if we in the western world should still primarily and only consume the same food of our ancestors? Given that we have access to so many other cuisines should we not be still only consuming what we need based on our make-up (DNA)? General rule being if your grandparents or great-grandparents wouldn’t recognise it, don’t eat it? 

Roti, Roti and Roti

Their work ethic (both sexes) also played a considerable role in their health. The food they ate -- some of which contemporary people would deride as fatty or too rich -- provided them with the necessary energy to do all they did, with very little of the potential side effects from eating such food manifesting itself as weight gain or other potential health problems. Of course, modern agricultural practices and general lifestyle issues must be taken into account if we're discussing this problem as it relates to contemporary society.

18 hours ago, Guest Kaur5 said:

Hi

You should read South Asian Health Solution by Dr Ron Sinha. 

On 6/2/2018 at 3:31 PM, Guest Kaur5 said:

Hi

Thats a great idea! And the dna thing is true. They found out that ppl from south india whos ancestors have been vegetarians for centuries, lack this one enzyme to break down saturated fat. So if they start eating meat. They are at more risk for health issues. 

And research has also shown that japanese ppl, when they migrated to hawaii. The older generation who ate traditional food had no diabetes etc  but the younger generation who ate american food did. 

So i think we do need to eat wat our ancestors ate. One thing to note is that, they ate very coarse grinded stuff. Like our rice and wheat is so finely grounded/polished. Its not healthy. 

Also, lots of foods have been added. There was no potato, corn, tomato, or tea in panjab. These were imported from america and china..

So can u imagine sabji without aalo or tamatar? And like maki di roti is also fake or at least a recent addition. 

Also, ppl are learning that fats r good to eat. Carbs cause diabetes cuz they spike up ur blood glucose levels and get u insulin resistance. So fats like khoa, butter, makhani, paneer are very good. Also ppl back in the day, ate more protein, and less sugar and fruit as they were expensive and not grown at home. Mostly it was daal and saag. Greens and protein...

Ofc exercise does play a role.

2 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Thats a great idea! And the dna thing is true. They found out that ppl from south india whos ancestors have been vegetarians for centuries, lack this one enzyme to break down saturated fat. So if they start eating meat. They are at more risk for health issues. 

And research has also shown that japanese ppl, when they migrated to hawaii. The older generation who ate traditional food had no diabetes etc  but the younger generation who ate american food did. 

So i think we do need to eat wat our ancestors ate. One thing to note is that, they ate very coarse grinded stuff. Like our rice and wheat is so finely grounded/polished. Its not healthy. 

Also, lots of foods have been added. There was no potato, corn, tomato, or tea in panjab. These were imported from america and china..

So can u imagine sabji without aalo or tamatar? And like maki di roti is also fake or at least a recent addition. 

Also, ppl are learning that fats r good to eat. Carbs cause diabetes cuz they spike up ur blood glucose levels and get u insulin resistance. So fats like khoa, butter, makhani, paneer are very good. Also ppl back in the day, ate more protein, and less sugar and fruit as they were expensive and not grown at home. Mostly it was daal and saag. Greens and protein...

Ofc exercise does play a role.

ok so asli saag in purataan times would use what as aalan , besan? it's also important to remember mirccha were only black pepper from south not chillis from americas , I have noted thatthere are  varieties our people are extremely allergic to , i cannot eat jalapeno without triggering pain response in gi tract , pickled less problematic , my mum was in ER after makin sabji with scotch bonnet withextreme reaction but she used to eat green mirch raw as a teen in India.

Paneer is actually not that fattening in itself it only becomes problematic when deep fried.

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

ok so asli saag in purataan times would use what as aalan , besan? it's also important to remember mirccha were only black pepper from south not chillis from americas , I have noted thatthere are  varieties our people are extremely allergic to , i cannot eat jalapeno without triggering pain response in gi tract , pickled less problematic , my mum was in ER after makin sabji with scotch bonnet withextreme reaction but she used to eat green mirch raw as a teen in India.

They still make original saag in jalandhar/amritsar area. They use shole de daal. They add it in the saag. But my nani says their saag is watery. But besan is a good idea. Tho idk if it would be as good as corn as corn as starch. 

Are u sure abt the mircha not being indigineous to india? Because currently india and mexico produce the hottest peppers in the world. And south indians use it safti in their traditional foods for tempering dosa etc. and we have mircha da chaar. 

That is mindblowing. 

9 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

They still make original saag in jalandhar/amritsar area. They use shole de daal. They add it in the saag. But my nani says their saag is watery. But besan is a good idea. Tho idk if it would be as good as corn as corn as starch. 

Are u sure abt the mircha not being indigineous to india? Because currently india and mexico produce the hottest peppers in the world. And south indians use it safti in their traditional foods for tempering dosa etc. and we have mircha da chaar. 

That is mindblowing. 

https://www.legalnomads.com/history-chili-peppers/

https://spicyquest.com/where-are-chili-peppers-from/

although all limes stem from punjab region , went to spain were cross bred with oranges from china and became the yellow lemons goray use , this crisscrossing was done by colonists ...

12 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

https://www.legalnomads.com/history-chili-peppers/

https://spicyquest.com/where-are-chili-peppers-from/

although all limes stem from punjab region , went to spain were cross bred with oranges from china and became the yellow lemons goray use , this crisscrossing was done by colonists ...

Wow so skanjmi is an original authentic drink of panjab lol