Laptop

Premi5

I would say read the reviews carefully. Also its best to spend at least £300 + on a decent laptop. 

anything under that price and you will get something not really worth it and practically useless due to insufficient memory and software ect. I recenyly bought a laptop for £300 and it has been great so far 

Downsides to apple is that u have to get a different software.and hardware for everything. Its really annoying. And it takes time to.get used to their interface. There is no simple file search or my computer or control panel. They have view finder and very weird stuff. Easy to get lost. Its like an iphone with apps and minimal choices. 

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, Premi5 said:

Are there any downsides to switching to Apple? 

what do you really think of apple?  It's cool?

Well, you want to go and check some info about it because there is nothing cool about having a laptop whose company has enough secret tools to remotely access your webcam without your little green light switching on. everything they have, every app, every disclaimer you sign is about granting access.  RSS agents use apple to spy on people on this forum. 

Mac apps(all of them) can take screenshots whenever they wish to. Even when they are not being used and are in the background. You won't get any warning and it's all done quietly. Worse still, hackers can use OCR to read any text on pages that you enter. They can use any of the apps to steal your passwords.

You know back in the 80's, when I was at high school. We used to laugh and tease the kid that had an apple macintosh computer at home. That's how bad their image was. It was all about having a commodore or zx spectrum. Even schools never touched the macintosh and had BBC computers installed. You couldn't play any games on a mac and you couldn't even plug in a joystick fro what I recall.   The company has been given a lot of help by the big governments and co. in return for favours to help spy on the dumbed down generations that are rising.

Apple?  mera kelaa.(long live the banana)

Personally, I'd recommend Lenovo, HP or Dell.  Thes have reputations and don't hide anything in the background.  IBM made the first processors and they had always been dedicated to privacy and security of business. Although IBM was sold off some years ago, IBM divisions of personal machines is now called Lenovo. That's why you will see old thinkpads with IBM logo, whereas newer ones have Lenovo logo.

was window guy and HAD to change laptops every year. Literally every single year. Dell/HP.  Too much money waster.
Mac since 2014 and only changed one time. Its very good unless you have software program that you use only works on Windows. Go for mac and i am only saying because they built to last long. Dell has hinge problem with 17 inch, it won't last. HP has cheap materials. Battery sucks on all of them.

50 minutes ago, S1ngh said:

was window guy and HAD to change laptops every year. Literally every single year. Dell/HP.  Too much money waster.
Mac since 2014 and only changed one time. Its very good unless you have software program that you use only works on Windows. Go for mac and i am only saying because they built to last long. Dell has hinge problem with 17 inch, it won't last. HP has cheap materials. Battery sucks on all of them.

That’s interesting. Have had 2 Dell laptops and both have been fine for many years. And a Dell Desktop which has lasted >10 years 

21 hours ago, Premi5 said:

If I buy a 15 inch screen laptop, I could buy a bigger screen to connect to it if needed, right? 

15 inch is still too big for a laptop (my opinion). You can always get it hooked up with any additional/multiple screens. I do same with my MacBook connecting with 65 inch tv during office meetings.

• 2 years later...

I am now looking again for a new 15" Windows Laptop to buy in the UK. Needs to be fast, reliable and with good screen quality 

Anyone with brand or model suggestions for around £600 - it will be mainly for work and internet, videos. Work is just using an iT programmes that require around 1GB of programmes running at one time

No gaming use. 

2 hours ago, Singh375 said:

I bought a £500 dell inspiron 15 laptop few months ago with i5 and 8gb ram. All is good, build quality very impressive, screen is quite basic though so I connect to a 2nd monitor via HDMI cable

Are any other brands as reliable as Dell?

also, i need a brand that will definitely have a silent laptop - not one that makes noise