The problem I have with weird Sikhs doing iftar/Eid meals for Muslims

genie

If you look at the sikh iftar party , its mostly located in UAE or pakistan or is it happening in western countries too ? They hold iftaar every year in the only gurudwara of dubai and also serving in pakistan. BTW recently the singh who organized iftaar got too popular i guess and thats why the taliban shot him down. Such a shame ! 

I guess the iftaar party is mostly a bend over backwards move by sikhs so as not to appear intimidating to muslims in muslim majority countries and thus avoid any wrath by islamists. However as in case of pakistan we see it doesn't work . 

But then by this theory , iftaar parties by Indian punjabi sikhs in punjab don't make any sense. Liberal secular Hindus also have the same behavior towards muslims btw.  Yesterday they company distributed sweets on the occassion of eid . Ironic though , where is this gang when its baisakhi or gurpurb ?

I guess there's only one minority in india , the muslims ! 

1 hour ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

If you look at the sikh iftar party , its mostly located in UAE or pakistan or is it happening in western countries too ? They hold iftaar every year in the only gurudwara of dubai and also serving in pakistan. BTW recently the singh who organized iftaar got too popular i guess and thats why the taliban shot him down. Such a shame ! 

I guess the iftaar party is mostly a bend over backwards move by sikhs so as not to appear intimidating to muslims in muslim majority countries and thus avoid any wrath by islamists. However as in case of pakistan we see it doesn't work . 

But then by this theory , iftaar parties by Indian punjabi sikhs in punjab don't make any sense. Liberal secular Hindus also have the same behavior towards muslims btw.  Yesterday they company distributed sweets on the occassion of eid . Ironic though , where is this gang when its baisakhi or gurpurb ?

I guess there's only one minority in india , the muslims ! 

The one that got me was the one done in Delhi by dgmc  and published on SM I understand that UAE built the gurdwara and gave permission for our ways of worship barring nagar kirtans so there is a kind of reciprocity in play , and Pakistan there is no restriction on our access to Guru ji's janam asthaan so it might be done in shukrana but in areas bordering on and in Afghanistan the amount of pressure and mistreatment of sikhs is crazy as one afghan sikh put it 'our kids are unpard bascially because of the system being totally against sikhs with teachers openly calling kids haram and kufar and turning a blind eye to the constant bullying.  SO it seems that is done in fear of consequences somewhat like people in UP, bihar getting pressurised into joining Holi else getting attacked .

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:17 PM, MisterrSingh said:

Those with foresight who haven't lulled themselves into a false sense of security don't need to be told. Sometimes, I think matters of faith and a belief in something like Sikhi -- a way of life that appeals to our higher, enlightened, and compassionate selves -- is somewhat of a disadvantage in a vicious dog-eat-dog world, especially for those who just want to be told what to do in life (followers), rather than undertake a complex inner journey of self discovery rife with nuance and apparent paradoxical conundrums that require khoj and contemplation (seekers). Battles are won by doers and those who don't pause to agonise over the rights and wrongs of it all. The appeal to "the right and just way" isn't conducive to survival. This is something that I believe has been dulled by years of contentment and relative prosperity; the decline of our survival instinct; the ability to discern danger and spot the signs even when the immediate present perhaps doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Pain and experience is the only true teacher. Those who refuse to acknowledge the possibility of any future perturbations, because they've bought into the idea that life is, by default, a just and good experience, will be hit the hardest when such notions will prove to be demonstrably misguided. 

I think the West is waking up. There are lots of right wing parties in many countries, and even far right. Theres even a move in America to ban immigration from everywhere except Western Europe, and this has been said openly. Also Front National and other right organizations

Not only policitically, but culturally conservative values are becoming more popular. Such as Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, Rebel media etc

Also, I think the anakh and niti and being strong yet wise comes from being martial. As we've lost our martial arts, we have also lost that mentality. Here's a martial artist, and what he wrote I think illustrates the sikhi thought exactly.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/04/27/jordan-petersons-right-become-dangerous-heres/

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:08 AM, genie said:

Also I do not recall from Gurbani or Sikh history Sikhs ever allowing other religions have special privileges. Our Guru's had  Muslim friends/associates but never partook in their religious observations or offer them resources of the Sikh sangat for non-sikh religious purposes. Yes they helped build mosques yes they ate with non-sikhs but they never allowed Sikh places of worship to be polluted and diluted with non-Sikhs using it for their own purposes just as non-sikhs would not allow Sikhs to use their places of worship for their own prayers.

That's a good point.

But the point that a sikh charity should not help non-Sikhs is not a good point. Rohingya muslims were kicked out due to their religion/ethnicity. That happened to Sikhs during partition. We should have helped them out. 

In terms of KA, like you I think helping Yazidhis is good. But helping Syrians who had to flee a war torn area, is also good. But just passing out food, to break their fasts isn't.

Another thing, I don't like about khalsa aid is that they give out cooked food or langar. But that's a temporary solution. Lots of money goes to feeding ppl for 1 day. and then they will starve again. That's not helpful. 

Also, lets not try to bring him down. He is providing us good publicity even when he is not helping Sikhs out with his charity. Try not to be so small minded. His charity started to help out disaster area/war torn areas. The first it started,  it was to help out Czech ppl during the Balkans war I think. So his aim was never to just help Sikhs. But to help anywhere theres a disaster/war. 

Theres other organizations for helping in Panjab. Like SPOW, and Ensaaf and others. 

Lets appreciate the differences.To be truly successful. Our kaum needs to be diverse.

4 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

I think the West is waking up. There are lots of right wing parties in many countries, and even far right. Theres even a move in America to ban immigration from everywhere except Western Europe, and this has been said openly. Also Front National and other right organizations

Not only policitically, but culturally conservative values are becoming more popular. Such as Jordan Peterson, Ben Shapiro, Rebel media etc

Also, I think the anakh and niti and being strong yet wise comes from being martial. As we've lost our martial arts, we have also lost that mentality. Here's a martial artist, and what he wrote I think illustrates the sikhi thought exactly.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/04/27/jordan-petersons-right-become-dangerous-heres/

I don't believe right-wing is the solution. These people cannot exist on an equilibrium. They lurch from one violent extreme to its opposite in response to whichever idiotic social and political conditioning they've been exposed to over a number of years. Most, if not all, of this braying for right-wing authority is a result of the policies seen to have been put into place by the Left. Anyway, the Left-Right dichotomy is a fraud. Don't fall for it. It's smoke and mirrors designed to keep us engaged in a system in order to make us think we have some semblance of control over those who rule us. Put it this way: where's that wall that Trump promised his voters, lol?

On 6/15/2018 at 2:04 PM, jkvlondon said:

The biggest thing that gets me is this ... for the widows of 84 there is no money for home, food or security , for the orphans of 84 and the surviving kids there are no jobs , rehab or medical care  but there is money aplenty to splash out on all other people's faiths . I'm sure Guru Pita ji is crying at how we are failing our own .

Well said penji, but not just the widows from dehli, who from what i have heard, that some even resorted to prostitution to make ends meet. that shows how badly we all failed them. there are so many shaheed privaars in punjab, esp around the majha/ferozpur districts, but its okay, we do 'sarbat da bhalla', which is fine, but we seem to have forgotten our own.