Why is there suffering in Sikhi?

On 6/19/2018 at 3:33 AM, CanadianSingh said:

I don't know why there is suffering in this cold world, I see many innocent people dying even though they were religiously devout to God such as the 1984 Anti Sikh Riots. Why would God or Whaeguru do such a heinous thing to cause suffering and hell such as the 1984 Anti Sikh riots.

I truly wish I could help you  by providing a perfect answer but I can’t. 

• 4 weeks later...

One pangtai explains it all  -     Apay beej apay-he khaw, Nanak hukami aavo jao.

What we sow is what we reap. Simples.

When we do bad karam we do not care, we go ahead and do them. When those karam come round and we have to work through them, then we cry and howl - I am such a good person, I do my paath, I do sewa, I never done anything wrong, why is this happening to me. We forget those bad karam we did.

Maybe we did them in a previous life but those karam made in ego and karodh will come back to haunt us.

Guru Ji got nothing to do with it, we are the makers of our own misery.

• 2 years later...
On 6/18/2018 at 11:52 PM, MahadrasSingh said:

There is an interesting sakhi of Guru Nanak, and two Sikhs. Basics of Sikhi covered it a while back. TLDR version, one man who is strong in sikhi injures his foot while other hangs around with prostitutes and finds a pot with a gold coin. Guruji explains to the former that he was originally going to become a crippled from his injury but because of his good karm, all he got was an injury that would heal soon. The other man was going to get a pot full of gold coins, but because of his lust he only got one with the rest gone. The point is, we don't know our karms from our past lives and even in this life, so what may appear as bad can be blessings in disguise.

Also when we look at just the bad things that happen, we forget all the good things Waheguru does for us. Think of it as a count your blessings type of thing, like the fact you are in a human form, Akaal ji could've put you in a snake but you ended up in the only life you can get mukti. 

As for why suffering and peace are both in Waheguru's hands, only Akaal ji knows. Its  kind of like ants trying to understand why humans do what they do, while they barely understand their own existance. 

I apoloigise if I made any mistakes in this post.

Sikhnet also has a children's story on this sakhi lemme see if I can find it

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• yeh it's true, we shouldn't be lazy and need to learn jhatka shikaar. It doesn't help some of grew up in surrounding areas like Slough and Southall where everyone thought it was super bad for amrit dharis to eat meat, and they were following Sant babas and jathas, and instead the Singhs should have been normalising jhatka just like the recent world war soldiers did. We are trying to rectifiy this and khalsa should learn jhatka.  But I am just writing about bhog for those that are still learning rehit. As I explained, there are all these negative influences in the panth that talk against rehit, but this shouldn't deter us from taking khanda pahul, no matter what level of rehit we are!
    • How is it going to help? The link is of a Sikh hunter. Fine, but what good does that do the lazy Sikh who ate khulla maas in a restaurant? By the way, for the OP, yes, it's against rehit to eat khulla maas.
    • Yeah, Sikhs should do bhog of food they eat. But the point of bhog is to only do bhog of food which is fit to be presented to Maharaj. It's not maryada to do bhog of khulla maas and pretend it's OK to eat. It's not. Come on, bro, you should know better than to bring this Sakhi into it. Is this Sikh in the restaurant accompanied by Guru Gobind Singh ji? Is he fighting a dharam yudh? Or is he merely filling his belly with the nearest restaurant?  Please don't make a mockery of our puratan Singhs' sacrifices by comparing them to lazy Sikhs who eat khulla maas.
    • Seriously?? The Dhadi is trying to be cute. For those who didn't get it, he said: "Some say Maharaj killed bakras (goats). Some say he cut the heads of the Panj Piyaras. The truth is that they weren't goats. It was she-goats (ਬਕਰੀਆਂ). He jhatka'd she-goats. Not he-goats." Wow. This is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard in relation to Sikhi.
    • Instead of a 9 inch or larger kirpan, take a smaller kirpan and put it (without gatra) inside your smaller turban and tie the turban tightly. This keeps a kirpan on your person without interfering with the massage or alarming the masseuse. I'm not talking about a trinket but rather an actual small kirpan that fits in a sheath (you'll have to search to find one). As for ahem, "problems", you could get a male masseuse. I don't know where you are, but in most places there are professional masseuses who actually know what they are doing and can really relieve your muscle pains.

Important Information

Terms of Use