How did ancient sikh shaheeds managed to bear so much so calmly . Did they not feel pain when they were being tortured to death ?

Those images of being sawn in two , crushed on wheel , scalped alive, boiled alive, burnt alive, chopped limb by limb , etc seems very painful. 

Did they physically feel that pain or as one hazur sahib singh told me that they would take their consciousness in Dasam dwar and would not feel any pain.

First, if they did feel the pain , then that means Guru's mercy was not with them during their death moments ?

But then on the other hand if they didn't feel pain , it means their martyrdom isn't that significant ?

Or perhaps I think case could be they knew they would suffer too much but still surrendered themselves to executioners , but then when the tortures began , to their surprise, they couldn't feel it . 

Just now, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Those images of being sawn in two , crushed on wheel , scalped alive, boiled alive, burnt alive, chopped limb by limb , etc seems very painful. 

Did they physically feel that pain or as one hazur sahib singh told me that they would take their consciousness in Dasam dwar and would not feel any pain.

First, if they did feel the pain , then that means Guru's mercy was not with them during their death moments ?

But then on the other hand if they didn't feel pain , it means their martyrdom isn't that significant ?

Or perhaps I think case could be they knew they would suffer too much but still surrendered themselves to executioners , but then when the tortures began , to their surprise, they couldn't feel it . 

I am sure they felt pain but it would have been dulled by the fact that their conviction was very strong.

It was so strong that their defiance would over-ride any fears and apprehension they may have.

When you have nothing left to lose all you have left is your guru you probably have a state of mind that says " F U".

The mughals and their associates knew that they were fighting a losing battle.