Jathera Worship

Guest Baba Chaman Maya Das

Guest Baba Chaman Maya Das

I have a question about Jathere. My immediate and extended family are very devout into going to their Jathere and performing all sorts of traditions and rituals there. At one point Guru Granth Sahib ji was kept at "my" jathera but was removed by some Singhs for obvious reasons. From my understanding of Sikhi, worshipping ancestors,idols, and etc is a hollow act in itself and not neccessarily going to lead you down the spiritual path you may be seeking (I think we can reference the last pauris of Tav Prasad Svaye here). The realization and understanding of spirituality in the sikhi perspective comes from reading, reflecting on, and implementing Gurbani in your life in an incremental manner. However, if I tell my family that performing rituals at the jathera, let alone go to it, doesnt make sense to me and that Gurbani teaches otherwise, they get angry. They get all dukhi saying ajj kal di paneeri don't give crap about anything. I even asked them why they perform rituals like pouring atta (flour) around a tree a certain number of times. They say the elders used to do it so we have to continue. I believe it's out of fear as in "If we don't do it, this ancestor may curse us" type of thing. So my question is: Is trying to follow my current beliefs on this matter and angering my parents/relatives wrong of me to do when the next time a situation comes to go and perform rituals at the Jathera and I refuse? Or should I give in so my parents can be happy? What would be the Gurmat way?

On 7/2/2018 at 2:22 PM, Guest Baba Chaman Maya Das said:

I have a question about Jathere. My immediate and extended family are very devout into going to their Jathere and performing all sorts of traditions and rituals there. At one point Guru Granth Sahib ji was kept at "my" jathera but was removed by some Singhs for obvious reasons. From my understanding of Sikhi, worshipping ancestors,idols, and etc is a hollow act in itself and not neccessarily going to lead you down the spiritual path you may be seeking (I think we can reference the last pauris of Tav Prasad Svaye here). The realization and understanding of spirituality in the sikhi perspective comes from reading, reflecting on, and implementing Gurbani in your life in an incremental manner. However, if I tell my family that performing rituals at the jathera, let alone go to it, doesnt make sense to me and that Gurbani teaches otherwise, they get angry. They get all dukhi saying ajj kal di paneeri don't give crap about anything. I even asked them why they perform rituals like pouring atta (flour) around a tree a certain number of times. They say the elders used to do it so we have to continue. I believe it's out of fear as in "If we don't do it, this ancestor may curse us" type of thing. So my question is: Is trying to follow my current beliefs on this matter and angering my parents/relatives wrong of me to do when the next time a situation comes to go and perform rituals at the Jathera and I refuse? Or should I give in so my parents can be happy? What would be the Gurmat way?

Worshipping jathere is complete manmat. Folly; makes no sense. Only Guru Sahib is worthy of worship. The gurmat way is to follow the Guru. Period. Try to calmly explain to your parents why you wish not to participate in these empty rituals. Make them see sense without coming across as stubborn/"holier than thou". Temporarily pleasing your parents at the expense of your own dharam and conscience is a high price to pay.

That's basically ancestor worshiping, my family are into that too. If a new bride comes into the family they take her to the jathera place.   Then they do weird rituals with flour and bangles.    No different to ancestors jaggahs that many families in India have.

This is one way to.deal.with it:

But on a serious note. Tell them you will learn this stuff and even watch while.they do.it. but will not participate. As you will only want to honor one Guru and be true to that guru. 

Tell them ur siblings will continue the traditions. Also tell them.in the past. Each family usually dedicated one child to sikhi and let that be you. 

If you are an only child. Then i suggest u clarify religion and culture differences. You can view sikhi as the true way and ur only religion. Whike these practices can just be like cultural festivals. Like it is not a problem for sikhs to celebrate 4th of july. Or halloween. And thanksgiving

Because they r just meaningless holidays with no religious importance to us. So u can particiapate in ur families rituals and traditions. And just view them as empty rituals that u r doing for the sake of ur family. Like an elaborate game

Where u pour flour on the floor first and then etc 

• 1 year later...
On 7/6/2018 at 12:25 PM, puzzled said:

That's basically ancestor worshiping, my family are into that too. If a new bride comes into the family they take her to the jathera place.   Then they do weird rituals with flour and bangles.    No different to ancestors jaggahs that many families in India have.

Same with my family! Where did this Pakhand start from? I bet it was pandits with there sharadhs. The Aunties probably spread it then. Then it just became a family tradition I guess.

On 7/13/2018 at 12:06 PM, Guest Guest said:

Not always black and white. Once your family has started this tradition it is very difficult to break away from it.

Yup. It's like when you put out a saucer of milk in the hope of attracting a cat. Once the cat gets hooked, it's not going to leave of its own accord. It's going to continue returning, and trying to get more milk. The best thing to do was never to put the milk out in the first place.