Superstition and Miracles in Sikhism

On 7/11/2018 at 6:30 PM, CanadianSingh said:

I am just curious regarding Sikhi, I am not having doubts and such. I mean questioning is a healthy thing as our entire religion was caused due to Guru Nanak Dev Ji questioning the superstition of the Hindu practices such as the worshipping of idols, sacrifices, and caste discrimination;

Guru Nanak dev ji did not question, he said the truth and told the people of other religion what is true and false.  

You are questioning without any merit.  Why not do a sehaj paath of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and then come back here and then tell us what you learned.  The missionaries like to champion doing sehaj paath and clearly you have not done one.  I know you are riding on thin air after listening to a missionary katha.  Missionary knowledge is limited to the 5 elements.  They are worse off than christians and Muslims.  Missionaries read from the Guru yet they dont hear the Gurus Bani.  They are drenched in ego.  They are your teachers and they will drag you to hell.  If you want to avoid hell then do a sehaj paath

On 7/17/2018 at 5:48 PM, Akalifauj said:

Cleaning floors of Sri Harmandir Sahib with milk is dont to make sure the fish dont die if some toxic material was used.  Its really common sense but missionaries want to make an issue of everything.

plus it will not destroy the calciferous stone its breakdown in the water will just release lactic acid and lactobacillus which is naturally occurring .

On 7/12/2018 at 2:30 AM, CanadianSingh said:

I am just curious regarding Sikhi, I am not having doubts and such.

Clearly you are having doubts. It's easy to see why. You have been reading the views of people who doubt the Guru themselves. It's up to you who you want to follow.

I mean questioning is a healthy thing as our entire religion was caused due to Guru Nanak Dev Ji questioning the superstition of the Hindu practices such as the worshipping of idols, sacrifices, and caste discrimination; however, I found that there are contradictions to this as people claim of miracles that Guru Nanak Dev Ji squeezed Milk and Blood from the Roti. Managed to capture a giant boulder with his one hand, and turn a bitter nut to sweet for Bhai Mardana.

Guru Sahib questioning the Hindus is a plausible thing as Guru Sahib were the Guru. However YOU are not the Guru and you are not questioning any Hindus. You are questioning the Guru yourself.

I have a question for you:

In your opinion was Guru Nanak capable of doing any of the above you have listed?

Another issue was that most of these miracles were written decades after his death and were composed as Janamshakis.

What about Bhai Gurdas Vaaran which says that Guru Sahib performed miracles ? Was the contents of Bhai Gurdas vaaran unknown to Guru Arjan Dev Ji?

I understand the reason why it happened since we abandoned our Gurudwara's, fleeing from Mughal forces while the Udasi's or Hindu Mahants took control of it.

You need to read more history. The Dal Panth were only living in jungles intermittently. They were not separate from the Gurdwaras for long periods of time, or long enough for anyone to subvert the message of Gurmat.

This issue still happens in the Golden Temple as we still pour milk on the floors. The milk can be used for starving children,

I haven't heard of any starving children in Amritsar. Have you?

Another issue is with the Nihangs who do a lot of things that are against Sikhism. Such as sacrificing goats, worshipping weapons, and getting high on "bhang". Isn't this the exact same stuff that these Hindu's do.

Are you against these things because Hindus do the same? The Hindus also do ishnaan, naam simran, brahmans also keep kes, ram Chander kept a bow and arrows, . kshatriyas also ride horses and wear swords etc

Shouls we discard these as well because the Hindus do it? Because someone might accuse you of being a hindu, right?

Which is why I am concerned that Sikhism is going at a wrong path with people not understanding the truth and logic within Sikhi.

The truth and logic within Sikhi? Can you prove that God exists to me in your next post, alongside your answer to my question above?

We also do the exact same ritualistic things with the SGGS by putting it to "Bed", covering it with clothes and such. We are pretty much worshipping it as an idol.

What if Guru Arjan Dev Ji did the same? Was Guru Sahib an idol worshipper?

I understand that Kala Afghana is a controversial figure in the Sikh community, he has a lot of true points that Sikhism has been corrupted by "Brahmanvad".

What about his corruption cases as a policeman in Panjab? Or his sexual assault case in Canada? Does that fall under "Gurmat" or "Brahmanvad"?

I feel that if we don't deal with these issues an entire generation of Sikhi will be left in doubt and confusion.

Poor you. Why do you feel so, when Sikh Panth has survived for the last 300 years?

What doubt and confusion was there before kala afghan?

Here are some quotes regarding superstition and rituals in Sikhi.

ਰੋਗੁ ਭਰਮੁ ਭੇਦੁ ਮਨਿ ਦੂਜਾ  
रोगु भरमु भेदु मनि दूजा ॥ 
Rog bẖaram bẖeḏ man ḏūjā. 
The mind is diseased with doubt, superstition and duality.

ਆਚਾਰੀ ਨਹੀ ਜੀਤਿਆ ਜਾਇ  
आचारी नही जीतिआ जाइ ॥ 
Ācẖārī nahī jīṯi▫ā jā▫e. 
Through ritual actions, God cannot be won over;

Why are you taking separate lines and posting them together? Why not post the whole shabad so the message becomes clearer?

but I hope that the younger generations like me will realize, as I am 16 myself.

So at 16 you have made up your mind already that kala afghani is right?

I understand that Kala Afghana is a controversial figure in the Sikh community, he has a lot of true points that Sikhism has been corrupted by "Brahmanvad".

What is "Brahmanvad" ?

Just now, jkvlondon said:

and others say it is the best thing you can do in life .... negative /positive take your pick te leh lo phal

I say its all bhamanvaad. Taking amrit, bowing to guru sahib going to the gurdwara, waking up to eat etc

Guest GuestSingh

OP clearly hasn't bothered to use the internet and do some basic research on why certain actions - not rituals - are performed by Sikhs otherwise his wild claims and this thread wouldn't exist......

• The topic was locked