Modern day Panjabi names & how terrible they are.

Gagan1995

1 hour ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

rarely ? 2 of 4 sahibzade had names of arabic/persian language : Zorawar and Fateh Singh (notice the 'Z' that is almost exclusive to arabic/persian) .

What about 'Subeg' Singh and 'Shahbaaz' Singh ? (again very persian ) 

Also punjabis have for long had 'Iqbal' as sikh name , for strange reasons.  And "noor" as in gurnoor, harnoor is an arabic word meaning 'light' . so there you go 

my pard pard nana ji was Wazir SIngh

12 hours ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

Why not Rehman (compassionate) Singh , Rahim (merciful) Singh , Abdullah (servant of god) Singh ??

I think most see our faith as dharmic.. It might also be a cultural thing since a lot of people would rather name their children with names from their native land. Do you think were a dharmic faith?

On 7/14/2018 at 9:46 PM, Preeet said:

So what? Indra is a title, it means lord. You cant base hate off of 1 Indras deed. Just cuz your name is Ajeet and you commited a bujjar kurehit (cutting hair), and other paaps (hiding the truth from your fiance) does not mean that the name Ajeet is tainted now & shouldnt be used (y) Also, if someones name is Inderjit for example, it means they won over Indra. Parminder would mean most powerful lord, Narinder would mean lord of humans, Jaginder would mean lord of the world, Satinder would mean lord of truth, Mahindar would mean the great lord etc.. Look at the actual sanskrit meanings behind sanskrit names. A lot of them are adjectives or just nouns.

is ajeetoo a mona? 

On 7/14/2018 at 1:33 PM, Gagan1995 said:

Have you wondered why modern Panjabi names are so bland and awful ? Almost all people today have names that end with " preet " , " jeet " , " inder" . Sukhdeep, Ballsdeep, Sukhvinder , Balginder , Rupinder , Honeypreet , Paramjeet . Then you have names people literally picked at random like Pinkie , Honey , Lovely aka just adjectives. Also many names today are Unisex , so many women and men share the same name . What happened to originality , Panjabi names before the 19th century were great. Zorawar, Zora , Zail , Zayn , Arjan , Waris , Jassa , Gulab , Amar , Sher , Gobind, Hari , Har'rai . I don't understand why most people don't name their children after the Gurus. I do want names like Hargobind , Gobind , Tegh and others to be popular . I don't want to see everyone with these lame ' inder , pinder, jinder , jeet ' endings. Personally , when I have 5 boys of my own , their names will be Zorawar , Arjan , Amar ,Sher & Zayn . Possibly  also want Gobind in there as well , not 100% decided. 

brother humble benti, you say when you have 5 sons... what if guru ji blesses you with daughters? we as sikhs should not get into the whole we want mundeh not kuriyah business.

1 hour ago, Prokharkoo84 said:

is ajeetoo a mona? 

Hii. Not sure, but a post from last year from his account includes: "Some of our boys cut their hair and ditched dastars, Others (like me) keep kes and turban but trim their beards , others keep all hair but are lost in alcohol and YoYo."

On 7/15/2018 at 10:42 AM, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

rarely ? 2 of 4 sahibzade had names of arabic/persian language : Zorawar and Fateh Singh (notice the 'Z' that is almost exclusive to arabic/persian) .

What about 'Subeg' Singh and 'Shahbaaz' Singh ? (again very persian ) 

Also punjabis have for long had 'Iqbal' as sikh name , for strange reasons.  And "noor" as in gurnoor, harnoor is an arabic word meaning 'light' . so there you go 

Theres a difference. 

Languages are different than religion. The universal language was persian/urdu back then.

Abdullah, Rahim etc are islamic names. Found in their quran and referring to their version of God as allah.

Also as Jagsaw has often mentioned panjab was sometimes under persian rule and closer culturally to persia than south india. Our wells, our square houses, our dress, our food and language is similar to persians than south indians. 

So while brahmins ridiculed persian as malesh bhasa. Guru ji embraced it. Because to guruji, all ppls and languages are equal. And not like the brahmins with their superiority. 

Also Inder means lord of. So bhupinder means lord of the earth. 

So as always panjabis and sikhs are in the middle.  Neither persian nor arab nor indian nor hindu. We r a mix.

The names raam singh heera singh. Are very hindu. While zorawar, subegh singh are persian. Bahadar singh and iqbal are definitely arabic. 

I think the jeet and preet names. Esp harsimran and jot names. Are really the only true panjabi names based in gurmukhi and gurbani. I bet they started in the 19th century by sikhs wanti g to be different than hindus.  It is too bad nobody likes them anymore. They are too trite. 

But some ppl are mixing them up.like manharjot singh etc which i think sounds cool.

Other are going for 1 syllable names like Benai kaur and ardaas singh. 

On 7/14/2018 at 7:27 PM, TejS said:

I agree. But what I've always been wrestling with is why does God need to be perfect? Why can't God be flawed? Perhaps there is an answer in Sikhi that I am unaware of, and one of you would like to share.

In sikhi, our creator must be perfect. 

Because otherwise if our creator is imperfect, what is the use in worshipping it? 

Instead we can trick it and force it to give us powers through tapas and sacrifices. Like the devte did in mahabharat. 

In sikhi, we must worship the creator night and day. With all breaths. And the creator is called beloved. Can you really fall in love with a flawed, weak, subject to his desires, creator? 

I think the greatest attributes of God are these two:

Namastuang Akaale Namastuang Kirpale.

That he is immortal and that he is compassionate.

If he was immortal but like indra or zeus. Then he is of no use to us. He will be running around after his own desires. And we cant placate him nor ask him to grant our prayers when we need help. He will help those who please him not those who need him.

If he was compassionate but not immortal. What use is he? He can feel sorry for us and maybe help us but not forever.

Another great attribute is that he is Akaame. Desireless. He has no deaire to rule or to be worshipped.

But most importantly. Its not why the creator must be perfect. It is that he is. That is what gurbani is. A description of how God is. Gurbani not only shows us the path on how to meet God. It is the path. And when u read Gurbani, u shoukd be able to connect and feel God, his prescense. And his perfectness.  

Not what we want him to be, but his raeal perfect self.And im extremely grateful he is perfect. I cant imagine worshipping a vengeful, evil, petty God nor can I imagine living in a world without a God. I dont know how the athiests bear it. 

As for why God created the world. I dont think we can answer that. Tho the book Conversation with God   might shed a light.

In katha ive heard God felt like it. He had a thought, furna so he did it. I think its a great story. On the one hand, entropy fights creation, maya fights truth, panj chor fight our good side, predator vs prey, kings vs kings.  So many conflicts from cellular level to galaxies. As virus and bacteria fight to black holes devouring stars. 

Theres so many different levels of conflicts and competition going on. Its amazing. 

On 7/15/2018 at 3:53 AM, TejS said:

Gurmukhi stems from the Sanskrit words "Guru" and "Mukh". Gurbani stems from the Sanskrit words "Guru" and "Bani".

Sanskrit IS our heritage. Maybe not the Sanskrit of today, but Vedic Sanskrit and the Vāc spoken before that is. 

And here is even more obvious evidence: Salok Sahaskriti Mahalla Pehla

Sanskrit IS but not just sanskrit , why not include parts of arabic and persian in it too ? And you're missing the elephant , that is brij bhasha and some parts of marathi too . 

On 7/15/2018 at 4:36 AM, TejS said:

It's mentioned metaphorically.

Actually as I had said before on this forum , Vedas were initially just one . The rishis were the "hearers" of vedic mantras in deep meditation . For this reason , vedas are known as "Sruti" (meaning something that is heard) , as opposed to "Smriti" which means memory which comprises of rest of hindu texts. 

A sage named "Krishna Dwaipayan" was given by his guru the task of dividing vedas into 3 parts because over the course of millenia , the "hearers" kept increasing and so did the vedic mantras . It was hard to teach and propagate. So for sake of good of humanity , this sage divided it into 3 vedas with names we know today : Rig, Yajur, Saam. Since he accomplished this huge task , he was referred to as "Ved Vyasa" . Later on , another sages Angiras and Atharvan compiled another ved and called it "Atharva" . Gurbani referred to it as representing kaljug. 

However the final compilation was not done yet as the "vedic era" is not over. It will continue till 6th century BC with Yagyavalkya being the final vedic sage, he being a respected guru in court of Raja Janak . He became the "hearer" of several Upanishads (the final layer of vedas) or "vedant" as is commonly referred to because it is philosophical and monistic in nature as opposed to polytheistic earlier layers . 

Today upanishads are total 108 in number with the 10 being major ones. Vedas are seemingly polytheistic but behind the veil of polytheism is recurring theme of monotheism , "Brahman" or "Brahm" as the supreme deity is referred. 

And in vedas themselves , it is mentioned 

"They call him Indra, Mitra, Varuṇa, Agni, and he is heavenly nobly-winged Garutmān.

To what is One, sages give many a title — they call it Agni, Yama, Mātariśvan."

Rigveda 1.164.46,

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2018 at 1:33 PM, Gagan1995 said:

Have you wondered why modern Panjabi names are so bland and awful ? Almost all people today have names that end with " preet " , " jeet " , " inder" . Sukhdeep, Ballsdeep, Sukhvinder , Balginder , Rupinder , Honeypreet , Paramjeet . Then you have names people literally picked at random like Pinkie , Honey , Lovely aka just adjectives. Also many names today are Unisex , so many women and men share the same name . What happened to originality , Panjabi names before the 19th century were great. Zorawar, Zora , Zail , Zayn , Arjan , Waris , Jassa , Gulab , Amar , Sher , Gobind, Hari , Har'rai . I don't understand why most people don't name their children after the Gurus. I do want names like Hargobind , Gobind , Tegh and others to be popular . I don't want to see everyone with these lame ' inder , pinder, jinder , jeet ' endings. Personally , when I have 5 boys of my own , their names will be Zorawar , Arjan , Amar ,Sher & Zayn . Possibly  also want Gobind in there as well , not 100% decided. 

does it even matter tho. i would call mine rock singh or nataly ...