Why aren't British Sikhs as active/engaged as their Canadian counterparts in politics?

TejS

7 minutes ago, TejS said:

Is it really that bad over there?

Why is that? North America in general has far more opportunities than Britain. You have to fight harder in Britain for your fair share than in North America, from what I've experienced. 

It is not really, but it does depend on the context.

It is the preception. 

North America does not really provide the opportunities for many UK Sikhs like if you are coming from a 3rd world country.

Sure, some people may thrive better.

However there is no great deal in the difference in standards of living.

The only thing a UK Sikh might be impressed with is a larger house but even that loses appeal once you consider other factors.

1 hour ago, Ranjeet01 said:

It is not really, but it does depend on the context.

It is the preception. 

North America does not really provide the opportunities for many UK Sikhs like if you are coming from a 3rd world country.

Sure, some people may thrive better.

However there is no great deal in the difference in standards of living.

The only thing a UK Sikh might be impressed with is a larger house but even that loses appeal once you consider other factors.

What other factors exactly?

I tried going the other way, North America to UK, and noticed its harder to come by opportunities in the UK than it is possible in North America.  

1 hour ago, TejS said:

What other factors exactly?

I tried going the other way, North America to UK, and noticed its harder to come by opportunities in the UK than it is possible in North America.  

Depends what you mean by opportunities. 

If you are starting a business,  maybe yes because there is less stigma in being bankrupt and starting over in the U.S.

Employment and career opportunities,  you still going go through the same stuff except that there is better security in the UK and a better work-life balance. We get better vacation time and people are not scared of being sick incase they get fired like in the U.S.

Sikhs in the UK  are well travelled and have been all over the world. Sikhs in the UK have probably seen more parts of the US than the average American. 

When you have travelled enough times in the US, you stop seeing it as a country and for what it really is a continent.

North California is not like Southern California which you cannot compare to Texas which is completely different to the North East. They are like different countries.

When you sit with friends and family from Toronto, North Cali and D.C you realise that all North Americans don't sound the same, there are different accents, have different temperaments etc.

The UK Sikh has worked with a lot of different nationalities. 

I worked with a guy from Pasadena  (a Latino guy) and he was pushing his parents to get out of California and move to Georgia. 

So even Californians are not happy.

A lot of this "American Dream" stuff does not wash with a lot of UK Sikh people because there isn't really much the US can offer that we don't already have in the Uk.

8 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Depends what you mean by opportunities. 

If you are starting a business,  maybe yes because there is less stigma in being bankrupt and starting over in the U.S.

Employment and career opportunities,  you still going go through the same stuff except that there is better security in the UK and a better work-life balance. We get better vacation time and people are not scared of being sick incase they get fired like in the U.S.

Sikhs in the UK  are well travelled and have been all over the world. Sikhs in the UK have probably seen more parts of the US than the average American. 

When you have travelled enough times in the US, you stop seeing it as a country and for what it really is a continent.

North California is not like Southern California which you cannot compare to Texas which is completely different to the North East. They are like different countries.

When you sit with friends and family from Toronto, North Cali and D.C you realise that all North Americans don't sound the same, there are different accents, have different temperaments etc.

The UK Sikh has worked with a lot of different nationalities. 

I worked with a guy from Pasadena  (a Latino guy) and he was pushing his parents to get out of California and move to Georgia. 

So even Californians are not happy.

A lot of this "American Dream" stuff does not wash with a lot of UK Sikh people because there isn't really much the US can offer that we don't already have in the Uk.

But I wasn't talking about the US. I'm talking about Canada. The problems you listed aren't present in Canada. Job security, free healthcare, ample vacation time are things provided in Canada, heck, Canada is the flag bearer for free health care in North America.

3 hours ago, TejS said:

But I wasn't talking about the US. I'm talking about Canada. The problems you listed aren't present in Canada. Job security, free healthcare, ample vacation time are things provided in Canada, heck, Canada is the flag bearer for free health care in North America.

A lot of UK Sikhs find Canada boring.

If you like outdoor stuff then maybe Canada has better appeal.

Don't get me wrong, I like Canada, the people are friendly but many UK Sikhs that move there come back because it does not really improve their life in any way.

UK Sikhs have been accustomed to living in a certain way that it becomes difficult to adjust to another way.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:02 AM, GareebSikh1699 said:

YoYo Ji if one Sikh wrongly uses an unfortunate turn of phrase which inadvertently conflates the Sikh fightback in east Punjab (which was a struggle for existential survival) then that does not negate the reality of the fact I presented to you above.

Come on man he was not an ordinary man.He was Sikh leader of that time who negotiated with British,Congress and Muslim League on behalf of Sikhs.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:20 AM, GareebSikh1699 said:

Pakistani's refer to Bhai Mardana Ji as a "kanjar" simply for being from a dalit background

Like I said before nobody knows him in Pakistan apart from some people like myself who are interested in Sikhs.

20 hours ago, TejS said:

Okay now this is completely wrong and false. Even your own sensible Pakistani scholars such as Ishtiaq Ahmed admit that it was Muslims that began the killings of Sikhs/Hindus in Rawalpindi/North Punjab. Large-scale mass killings also began in West Punjab with killings of Sikhs/Hindus. Any action taken in East Punjab by Sikhs/Hindus was in retaliation. 

Actually I have read his book bloodied partition.Rawalpindi massacre started in March 1947.And before that there were sikh/muslim tensions in punjab.Remeber Shahedganj Gurudwara controversy in Lahore in 1935.Now Muslim refugees started to come into Pakistan in mid august.This clearly shows that Sikh leadership had this plan to get rid of Muslims of East Punjab all along.Otherwise I don't see why they waited for 5 months to take revenge of Rawalpindi massacre.If all the Sikh attacks in East Punjab were mere revenge attacks for Rawalpindi massacres then these attacks should have been spontaneous.Why wait for 5 months ? As you know these revenge attack/riot happen at the spur of moment you don't wait around months to take revenge.This clearly shows that Sikh leadership  had made up their mind to exterminate Muslims of East Punjab. Rawalpindi massacre just gave them excuse they were looking for.I have no doubt that with or without Rawalpindi massacres Muslims would have met the same fate.

20 hours ago, TejS said:

Look at the demographics in East Punjab and you will see that there are still more than 500,000 ethnic Punjabi Muslims living there.

Because they were living in a State ruled by a Muslim nawab. Plus they were well armed compared to Muslims in Sikh states who were sitting ducks.Nawab of malerkotla had good relations with Sikh ruler of Patiala .Then there was old history i.e haa da naara by sher khan.So all these factors saved their lives.Sikhs jathas must have thought that once the rest of East Punjab is emptied of Muslims these muslims will also migrate.

20 hours ago, TejS said:

The same can't be said for the meager 50,000 Sikhs in all of Pakistan that despite holding iftars for poor Muslims get murdered in daylight, like Charanjeet Singh. 

Even Muslims of different sects are not safe.The less is said about the plight of other non Muslim minorities is better.I hope someday this madness will end.

19 hours ago, TejS said:

You mean culturally Arab,

Nah I said what i meant.Read it again.Islam has a history of 1000 years in Sub continent.South Asian Islam is way different than Arab,Turkish islam.

19 hours ago, TejS said:

even though the Arabs do not hold you equal. 

You speak as if you have done survey of 300 million Arabs.Besides I don't care how someone else view me.You should be worried about the discrimination your mazhabi sikh face in punjab. Muslims should be least of your worries.