Guest Anonymous

Feeling depressed

Guest Anonymous

SSA everyone. Lately I have been feeling very lost and depressed in life. I just recently graduated from college and am competing a summer internship. I am living alone because commuting is easier from my college campus than from home. I just feel like I am stuck in a rut-- waking up for work, commuting, working 9-5, coming home, watching some TV and going to bed. I do my nitnem in the morning and night but I feel like I am doing it more out of an obligation than really feeling the happiness from my heart while doing naam jap. I don't know, I just feel depressed and sad. I find myself crying on random days for no reason. If I am not surrounded by family and friends I feel lonely and sad. I feel like the time spent with them is just a distraction from the feelings of loneliness and sadness. I know being alone and working right now is probably the main source of this depression but I don't want to just keep distracting myself from this, I want to figure out a solution. Even with doing paath, I feel like I'm not fully invested in it, just doing it out of obligation. Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Does anyone have any advice? 

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Guest Be the change
On 7/16/2018 at 4:54 AM, Guest Anonymous said:

SSA everyone. Lately I have been feeling very lost and depressed in life. I just recently graduated from college and am competing a summer internship. I am living alone because commuting is easier from my college campus than from home. I just feel like I am stuck in a rut-- waking up for work, commuting, working 9-5, coming home, watching some TV and going to bed. I do my nitnem in the morning and night but I feel like I am doing it more out of an obligation than really feeling the happiness from my heart while doing naam jap. I don't know, I just feel depressed and sad. I find myself crying on random days for no reason. If I am not surrounded by family and friends I feel lonely and sad. I feel like the time spent with them is just a distraction from the feelings of loneliness and sadness. I know being alone and working right now is probably the main source of this depression but I don't want to just keep distracting myself from this, I want to figure out a solution. Even with doing paath, I feel like I'm not fully invested in it, just doing it out of obligation. Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Does anyone have any advice? 

Yeh. You need to exercise daily in the evenings and mediate

Do this, work/uni 9am-5pm

6-7 gym

Evening meditate. 

This is a balanced life. 

Meet up with your friends after work when u can, socialize but make sure u exercise-very important (healthy body=healthy mind) 

Do things that make you feel happy and good, and just embrace life. 

The problem with the world presently is that alot of people are negative and unhappy, hence the reason for anger, slander, crime etc.

Be happy with what u have and who you are, and if you don't like your life then change it, only You have the power to change your life and make it better(with His grace). 

Be happy, even if everyone around you is negative, mean, jealous, sad. If people are bad, ignore their rubbish and rise above it. And have faith in yourself and God. The world needs more positivity. 

If you have depression then definitely see a counsellor, it'll improve your life considerably and if you suffer from depression it's Very Important to see one.

Alot of people see therapists and there's no shame in it. 

Guest Walla
On 7/16/2018 at 2:54 AM, Guest Anonymous said:

If I am not surrounded by family and friends I feel lonely and sad.

It is okay to feel like this. I understand you're missing your family however, think of the invaluable experience you are gaining from doing the internship. This experience will give you an advantage when applying for jobs.  The internship is temporary and you should focus on completing it. You have a purpose so you don't need to feel lost. You will be back home soon. 

I do my nitnem in the morning and night but I feel like I am doing it more out of an obligation than really feeling the happiness from my heart while doing naam jap.

I don't do path but what I will say is that Sikhi is not a formality and I've heard that when anyone does path they should do it as though Guru Nanak is sitting in front of them. Also when don't read path in a monotone. Regardless of what you're feeling/ going through never lose faith in Guru Ji. 

I just feel like I am stuck in a rut-- waking up for work, commuting, working 9-5, coming home, watching some TV and going to bed.

I understand what you are saying however, this is the same for every job I'm afraid, apart from the watching some TV part. It is better to be in employment than to be sitting at home. 

Guest Anonymous
On 7/17/2018 at 4:11 PM, Guest Haridas said:

not trying to be funny, but have you had your vitamin d level checked?

I haven’t, does a lack of it contribute to feeling tired? 

Guest Goldie
17 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

No. Vitamin D is fat soluble which can be produced by your own body if you receive enough sunshine everyday. Vitamin D maintains healthy bones not healthy minds.  You need to have your vitamin B12 checked because this is the one if our bodies don’t have enough of  can lead to many mental disorders such as mood swings, depression and so on.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:06 PM, Guest Anonymous said:

yes. u should get all ur vitamin levels  checked. 

Also ur thyroid and other hormones

and get a depression test while ur  at the doctors. 

On 7/20/2018 at 5:51 AM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

yes. u should get all ur vitamin levels  checked. 

Also ur thyroid and other hormones

and get a depression test while ur  at the doctors. 

Which vitamins? B12 and vitamin D are the only common ones checked by doctors 

I found out my blood test results and i have a slight vitamin D deficiency, everything else was fine! i thought that since i stopped eating meat that the results won't be good because thats what everyone says but everything was fine 

i have to take vitamin D supplements though but the lady at the counter said just sit in the sun lol!

Guest bibek budh

To the OP lot of these mental illnesses have reversible organic causes, a lot of which your doctors either don't know or won't tell you about: 

Please check your blood for heavy metals, electrolyte disturbances, hormone dysfunction (e.g. thyroid,adrenals), anaemia, vitamin deficiencies.

Stop all processed foods, sugars, salts and tap water- they contain many neurotoxic chemicals that can cause your symptoms. 

Avoid fluoridated products like toothpastes.

Stop using wifi.

If you have any stressors in your life these need to be tackled too.

After doing the above see how you feel. Whatever you do, do not accept any medications like anti-depressants from your doctor! They have wide ranging negative effects on the body and mind including suicidal ideation and will only mask your symptoms by disturbing neurotransmitter levels in your brain, they will not get rid of anything or tackle the cause, you will end up worse than you are currently.

24 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I found out my blood test results and i have a slight vitamin D deficiency, everything else was fine! i thought that since i stopped eating meat that the results won't be good because thats what everyone says but everything was fine 

i have to take vitamin D supplements though but the lady at the counter said just sit in the sun lol!

Quite common with our people having vitamin d deficiency. 

You can probably get away with sunshine during summer months but they are needed during the dark winter months. 

Holland and Barrett do some great vitamin supplements. 

17 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Quite common with our people having vitamin d deficiency. 

You can probably get away with sunshine during summer months but they are needed during the dark winter months. 

Holland and Barrett do some great vitamin supplements. 

Which vitamins do you recommend? I.e. which ones, apart from the obvious Vitamin D would you say most of us need to take?

2 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Which vitamins do you recommend? I.e. which ones, apart from the obvious Vitamin D would you say most of us need to take?

D3, not just the regular D. Ensure it's the 25ug variety. Anything lower than that for a non-meat eater is a waste of time and money. Also, Iron capsules, but don't go overboard. Listen to your body. Don't plough endlessly through these vitamins for years, because taking them when the body doesn't require them causes as much problems as not consuming them when they are needed. You should've been soaking up the rays for the past 2 months in the UK. That's the real good stuff. Drink lots of water and get a regular sweat on. Everything should accordingly tick on quite nicely.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use