Sikhs to get ethnic status in British census forms in 2021.

Gagan1995

22 hours ago, KhoonKaBadlaKhoon said:

Not saying anything against this. But is this basically just to say we are not Indian? 

Just speaking on census though, US Sikhs need to do something to for next census, so we can get an idea of Sikh population there. Numbers range from 100,000-700,000 lol.

given that we never agreed to the Indian Constitution techniquely are we Indian? Given that we were born to be sikhs before anything else and that is where our first loyalty lies I see no wrong in calling ourselves sikhs ethnically since we have our own culture, written language /literature , History as a seperate nation prior to the Raj ... we have no real commonality with the ethos of brahmin led majority barring being humans. 

8 hours ago, puzzled said:

what about all the illegal immigrants from Punjab? i don't think they are included in the census ? If they are then then our population would be a lot higher. places like slough, hounslow, hayes, southal etc are full of fojis lol 

Pretty sure no census includes illegals. 

6 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

given that we never agreed to the Indian Constitution techniquely are we Indian? Given that we were born to be sikhs before anything else and that is where our first loyalty lies I see no wrong in calling ourselves sikhs ethnically since we have our own culture, written language /literature , History as a seperate nation prior to the Raj ... we have no real commonality with the ethos of brahmin led majority barring being humans. 

I wasn't disagreeing with it. Just questioning their logic is on same page as mine. 

Just Punjabi should be added, a census should never ask for religion one follows (reminds me of what Hitler did).

This would also leave non-Punjabi Sikhs in a odd position, do they chose their actual race or their religion?

18 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Hindus in Punjab could not even be bothered to put down Punjabi as their mother tongue in India

Exactly, I expect Hindu Punjabi's outside of India will do the same thing, as they more identify with being Indian than Punjabi.

Your first point contradicts your second point of Sikhs being an ethnicity, because as you have stated, majority of people putting down Punjabi will be Sikh.

You can guess that 90%+ of people will be "Sikh" as the Hindus wont put Punjabi down.

54 minutes ago, FreshMind13 said:

Exactly, I expect Hindu Punjabi's outside of India will do the same thing, as they more identify with being Indian than Punjabi.

Your first point contradicts your second point of Sikhs being an ethnicity, because as you have stated, majority of people putting down Punjabi will be Sikh.

You can guess that 90%+ of people will be "Sikh" as the Hindus wont put Punjabi down.

What I meant with is Punjabi is synonmous with Sikh whether we like it or not.

Having Sikh as an ethnic group is what we are. We are a nation. That is how we are seen, let's tick that box. 

In 2021, more Sikhs will tick that box and it will be higher in 2031 

2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

What I meant with is Punjabi is synonmous with Sikh whether we like it or not.

Having Sikh as an ethnic group is what we are. We are a nation. That is how we are seen, let's tick that box. 

In 2021, more Sikhs will tick that box and it will be higher in 2031

I agree would should have a box to tick (I'm from the U.S., so its going to take a while here to get added) but I believe we should keep it correct. Sikh isn't a ethnicity/race. It is a Dharam/Religion/Way of Life/etc. Punjabi is the correct term to be used in the Census.

But the thing is though, we can assume that pretty much everyone who put Punjabi on the Census will most likely be a Sikh, so it works both ways.

34 minutes ago, FreshMind13 said:

I agree would should have a box to tick (I'm from the U.S., so its going to take a while here to get added) but I believe we should keep it correct. Sikh isn't a ethnicity/race. It is a Dharam/Religion/Way of Life/etc. Punjabi is the correct term to be used in the Census.

But the thing is though, we can assume that pretty much everyone who put Punjabi on the Census will most likely be a Sikh, so it works both ways.

This is the UK we are talking about here though.

Sikhs have been seen by law as separate identity since the 1970's. 

The census tick box is a natural progression of that.

2 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

This is the UK we are talking about here though.

Sikhs have been seen by law as separate identity since the 1970's. 

The census tick box is a natural progression of that.

Yea, I'm not too familiar with how things are across the pond.

I do know a Gora Singh in the UK who recently took Amrit after a few years of learning about Sikhi, he said it would put him in a dilemma on what box should he tick.

It's these type of situations, where a non-Punjabi Sikh has to do the census where it gets confusing.