Thoughts on Buddha ?

Gagan1995

Someone quoted this about Buddha:

The Buddha played enlightenment on easy mode

Born when everyone lived close to nature

Royalty, everything was handed to him without effort. Pleasures, wealth, power - could see  the pointlessness of it all at an early age. Clarity of mountain top vision without having to climb.

5 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

If Buddhism isn't your thing, I get it. 

One doesn't need to speak ill of the man. Especially those who clearly know <banned word filter activated> nothing about Buddhism. 

Come on people. 

personal observation of energy dynamics of monks at close quarters - loads of suppressed anger maybe because they are dedicated at such a young age kind of like girls used to be given to the convent to avoid poverty of family back in the medieval ages .(treated youngsters for scabies and elders for emotional issues) Even female Buddhist 'monks' seem unhealthily fixed on ritualistic fasts like not speaking but, then this is enforced on all and sundry around them as it will offend them by hearing speech (???)  Sikhi is simple and practical and doesn't force others to comply to what is essentially a personal decision or blow hot and cold if someone else is not doing exactly what they are .

Talking to buddhists there seems to be a myriad of beliefs within its traditions some contradictory to each other ...in that way it is similarly hard to pin down like 'hinduism' .

12 hours ago, harsharan000 said:

First of all, there is nothing comparable to Sikhee. 

But then, as per the topic of this present thread, just as it could be any other on a public forum, found this interesting piece of information on Buddhism on the net, and thought of sharing it.

The main aim of Buddhism is to realise a very simple fact :

“Suffering is not caused by ill-fortune, by social injustice, or by divine whims. Rather, suffering is caused by the behaviour patterns of one's own mind.”

No matter what the mind experiences, it usually reacts with craving, and craving always involves dissatisfaction. When the mind experiences something distasteful, it craves to be rid of the irritation. When mind experiences something pleasant, it craves the pleasure will remain and intensify.

Therefore, the mind is always dissatisfied and restless. This is very clear when we experience unpleasant things, such as pain. As long as pain continues, we are dissatisfied and do all we can to avoid it. Yet even when we experience pleasant things, we are never content. We either fear that pleasure might disappear, or we hope that it will intensify.

People dream for years about finding love but are rarely satisfied when they find it. Some become anxious that their parter will leave; others feel that they settled cheaply and they could have found someone better. Ans we all know people who manage to do both. ;)

There is only one way to exit this vicious circle of craving and suffering-

“If, when the mind experiences something pleasant or unpleasant, it simply understands things as they are, then there is no suffering.

If you experience sadness without craving that sadness go away, you continue to feel sadness but you do not suffer from it.

If you experience joy without craving that the joy linger and intensify, you continue to feel joy without losing your peace of mind.

* By Vartul Pandey . 

Some more valuable thoughts:

Pedro Izecksohn :   The purpose of Buddhism is to avoid rebirth. Buddha preached that if you have no desire nor will nor wish then you will not reborn.

If you are in Mahayana and follow the bodhisattva path, it will give you much joy, as it is a pleasure to help others.

Loren Kimsey, American Secular Buddhist :  the entire point of Buddhism is the cessation of suffering for all beings. This was The Buddha’s goal from the moment he set out to become enlightened.

Safwan Zabalawi

the purpose of Buddhism is to reveal the potential of Enlightenment to the Law of Life, so that one can take responsibility to transform any hardship and to lead a happy meaningful life - helping others do the same.

In Nichiren Buddhism, the purpose of Observing the Mind during chanting the Dharma - is to be aware of the powers acting in us. Once we understand the contents of our thoughts - we can lead these thoughts to a direction of creating value and benefit for our life and others.

image.png.0f9a64f1f1d32417febb6727cc3df82d.png

using the mind to fight/annihilate the mind seems like a tough gig , full of contradictions ... I'm glad Guru ji is there to show me the way

11 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Talking to buddhists there seems to be a myriad of beliefs within its traditions some contradictory to each other ...in that way it is similarly hard to pin down like 'hinduism' .

10 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

using the mind to fight/annihilate the mind seems like a tough gig , full of contradictions ... I'm glad Guru ji is there to show me the way

Buddhism, initially is very simple and profound. 

They only deal in asking answerable questions. So they recognize that something far beyond our grasp set all this in motion, and that One being is so far beyond our minds grasp, it is futile to describe. 

They progress to then consider what one can experience directly. 

That beings are trapped in a cycle of birth and death. That this type of existence is full of suffering. That suffering comes from the desires of the ego. These desires are to be released through the practices of their path. 

They believe in karam and follow a code of conduct. 

1. Abstain from killing (Ahimsa);
  2. Abstain from stealing;
  3. Abstain from sensual (including sexual) misconduct;
  4. Abstain from lying;
  5. Abstain from intoxicants.

Thus they seek to conduct themselves rightfully, meditate, and still the mind of thoughts and desires until the Truth is all that is left. 

@jkvlondon is correct that these beliefs now vary widely having had much human mind applied to them. It is common for individual practitioners to over intellectualize their practice as well. 

While asceticism is a valid path, it is dangerously close to escaping from the world, and sitting in a cave near the world ocean instead of crossing it. 

If one achieves the top state of the Buddha, one would have to then recognize Akal Purakh and NaamJaap for Mukhti. As we know, if one does this even once with the right beingness they are saved.  

I personally dont follow the path of Buddha. It does not have the right emphasis on the Timeless One. It is too steeped in the mind now and overly and prematurely ascetic overall. 

That being said, nobody needs to Nindiya Buddha or Buddhists. Saying Buddha simply cowered through life is patently false, and vastly oversimplified. 

Like @jkvlondon I am thankful for Vaheguru.   Without Kirpa I would never be and would never make it.

All the help and still I remain a fool living with five thieves.